PDA

View Full Version : Hold Definition?

Disantinon
03-23-2003, 12:26 AM
I was thinking of picking up Wunsch for my fantasy team... depending on what the definintion of a hold is.

I've looked around and actually found a few different definitions, I would specifically be interest in the one Yahoo fantasy uses if anyone knows.

Mainly what I am wondering is if Wunsch gets holds the way Manuel likes to use him: do you get a hold for pitching only 1/3rd of an inning? Do you get a hold if you pitch in the 6th inning, or do you have to set up for the closer? Do inherited runners factor in? Do you have to give up no runs or just keep the lead?

Thanks.

Also Wunch got me thinking of Manuel's tendancy to use 13 pitchers per game. Maybe he could, like many pitchers before him have, get the nickname "The Human Rain Delay." Or maybe something relating to the commercials we have to sit through each time he makes a change. But I guess his existing nicknames such as "the tinkerer" already cover this.

voodoochile
03-23-2003, 12:42 AM
My understanding is that a player gets a hold anytime they don't get a save and they don't give up the tying run. They can even allow the tying runners to reach base which later scores, so long as they don't give it up themselves. In that case, the guy who actually allowed that run to score doesn't get the hold.

That is just my understanding and does not necessarily match the Yahoo definition...

BTW, Welcome Aboard! :)

T Dog
03-23-2003, 10:09 AM
The hold stat was an attempt to give something to pre-closer relief pitchers for doing their jobs. The way it works out, you will occasionally see a pitcher get credit for a hold and the loss in the same box score.