PDA

View Full Version : Quote Of The Day 3/22

Lip Man 1
03-22-2003, 10:06 PM
"We feel very good about our situation,I mean, despite not being one of the clubs that spend a lot of money, we have been innovative and creative in the acquisitions that we've made. I think it's a lot more fun that way than to go out and just get everything that you can and hope that it falls in place." --Jerry Manuel.

Well.....I guess that's what you'd expect someone to say who has never been to a World Series and who's payroll is now less then the Twins.

I guess given the choice between actually buying your way to a title or "tinkering" your way to a second or third place finish, Manager Gandhi would prefer to do the later. (sigh...)

Lip

ScottyTheSoxFan
03-22-2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Well.....I guess that's what you'd expect someone to say who has never been to a World Series and who's payroll is now less then the Twins.

I guess given the choice between actually buying your way to a title or "tinkering" your way to a second or third place finish, Manager Gandhi would prefer to do the later. (sigh...)

Lip

jerry was there with FLA in 1997(?) and they definitley bought that title.

RKMeibalane
03-22-2003, 10:21 PM
It's comments such as this that convince me that Manuel doesn't understand what winning is really about. Ever since his "tinkering" began, he has attempted to be as "creative" as possible, whether it meant changing the lineup or using someone different as the team closer when Foulke was struggling last season.

What he doesn't understand is that being creative and original means nothing if the results aren't there at the end. Manuel seems to prefer style over substance. I prefer the latter. It doesn't matter whether something "looks cool" as long as it's effective. Look at John Stockton and Karl Malone. I would hardly call Utah Jazz basketball exciting; however, the Jazz have been one of the most successful NBA teams over the past eighteen years or so.

The sooner Manuel figures this out, the better off things will be for all of us.

ScottyTheSoxFan
03-22-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Look at John Stockton and Karl Malone. I would hardly call Utah Jazz basketball exciting; however, the Jazz have been one of the most successful NBA teams over the past eighteen years or so.

but have the jazz won a title? although there prime happened to coincide with the bulls championship run i'll admit.

voodoochile
03-22-2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan
but have the jazz won a title? although there prime happened to coincide with the bulls championship run i'll admit.

They would have won two if not for MJ and the Bulls. Same for Patrick Ewing and the Knicks.

ScottyTheSoxFan
03-22-2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
They would have won two if not for MJ and the Bulls. Same for Patrick Ewing and the Knicks.

well im glad the bulls came along. those 2 teams were my 2 most hated teams. im not as big a nba fan, but i hate the lakers now too.

Lip Man 1
03-22-2003, 10:50 PM
Jerry was a coach on that 97 Florida team, not the manager. In my opinion there is a big difference between the two positions.

Lip

RKMeibalane
03-22-2003, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan

They have not won a title, but they have come closer to doing so than the Sox. If the White Sox were to reach the World Series this season, I would be extremely happy, even if they did not win, because they would have moved to closer to their ultimate goal.