PDA

View Full Version : Open House Renovation Pictures

Scotty347
03-22-2003, 06:15 PM
Open house pictures

Scotty347
03-22-2003, 06:34 PM
i give up. i tried to attach the pictures and it won't let me delete my post either.

Daver
03-22-2003, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Scotty347
i give up. i tried to attach the pictures and it won't let me delete my post either.

May I suggest that you upload them into the WSI photo gallery which can be found here. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/4images/index.php)

:)

Wsoxmike59
03-23-2003, 08:06 AM
I'll post the pictures that I took yesterday a little later on today. I went down to the park and met Soxwon aka "Da Reverand" and got a chance to check out some of the renovations taking place down at The Cell. We were also treated to lunch in the Stadium Club all at the same time! A good time was had by all. :smile:

The park is really starting to take on characteristics of a different kind of setting down there. They've done a lot of new brickwork out in the OF and there is going to be a HUGE wall out in CF where the fans can take in the game high above the batters eye.

The CF scoreboard is under going extensive remodeling, it's now GREEN! The old auxiliary scoreboard in LF is covered up, and that is where the new jumbo-tron is going to be located.

The rumor is the park's main color will change from blue to green. With the CF batting eye and scoreboard now in green, the blue seats and OF wall padding kind of clashes for now. Someone in the crowd told me yesterday he heard the seats will be changed to green after the '03 season.

TornLabrum
03-23-2003, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Wsoxmike59
I'll post the pictures that I took yesterday a little later on today. I went down to the park and met Soxwon aka "Da Reverand" and got a chance to check out some of the renovations taking place down at The Cell. We were also treated to lunch in the Stadium Club all at the same time! A good time was had by all. :smile:

The park is really starting to take on characteristics of a different kind of setting down there. They've done a lot of new brickwork out in the OF and there is going to be a HUGE wall out in CF where the fans can take in the game high above the batters eye.

The CF scoreboard is under going extensive remodeling, it's now GREEN! The old auxiliary scoreboard in LF is covered up, and that is where the new jumbo-tron is going to be located.

The rumor is the park's main color will change from blue to green. With the CF batting eye and scoreboard now in green, the blue seats and OF wall padding kind of clashes for now. Someone in the crowd told me yesterday he heard the seats will be changed to green after the '03 season.

I hope you're not right about the Jumbotron being in left field. As anyone can attest, early in the evening, the light shining off the old matrix board and batting order board was so bright, you can't see a thing.

Of course, knowing the way the Sox do things....

PaleHoseGeorge
03-23-2003, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
I hope you're not right about the Jumbotron being in left field. As anyone can attest, early in the evening, the light shining off the old matrix board and batting order board was so bright, you can't see a thing.

:reinsy
"DOH!!!"

:)

Wsoxmike59
03-23-2003, 10:49 AM

TornLabrum I'm only going on what I heard Dave Wills report last week, but he also wouldn't confirm positively that's where the new jumbo tron would be located.

His explanation was that the old jumbo tron on the CF scoreboard would be showing much of the in game information such as who is batting and what they did in the game, i.e. 1 for 2 in tonight's ballgame etc.....and that the new jumbo tron which is supposedly TWICE AS BIG as the one on the CF scoreboard would be placed in LF where the old auxiliary one was located.

I guess we'll have to wait and see on Opening Day, as even some of the Sox employees that I asked at the Open House weren't even sure where the new board was going.

TornLabrum
03-23-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Wsoxmike59
TornLabrum I'm only going on what I heard Dave Wills report last week, but he also wouldn't confirm positively that's where the new jumbo tron would be located.

His explanation was that the old jumbo tron on the CF scoreboard would be showing much of the in game information such as who is batting and what they did in the game, i.e. 1 for 2 in tonight's ballgame etc.....and that the new jumbo tron which is supposedly TWICE AS BIG as the one on the CF scoreboard would be placed in LF where the old auxiliary one was located.

I guess we'll have to wait and see on Opening Day, as even some of the Sox employees that I asked at the Open House weren't even sure where the new board was going.

I heard Dave say that, too, but I only know of one Jumbotron that is supposedly being put in. The one on the board appears to be twice as large as the old one, so I'm not really sure either. My guess (and what I wrote in my next column) is that the matrix board in LF is being improved.

Whatever the case, the ball park is going to look great. I just wish I could be there opening day instead of the following Sunday!

voodoochile
03-23-2003, 11:22 AM

The location also makes it harder for all the fans to see. The one in CF everyone can see, no problem. The one in LF people sitting in front of it will have to turn around to see it. This would be a really strange decision and poorly thought out all around...

soxnut
03-23-2003, 11:45 AM
Voodoochile..........I think there are quite a few of the new parks that have their jumbotrons in LF, where they also have seats, and those fans have to turn around as well. So I guess alot of others have not thought about that too.

But ya know, sometimes depending on where I sat in the outfield, I still had to turn to see the thing anyway. And hey, stop watching that thing and look at the field. It has too many of those dumb races on it anyway. They should have just stuck with one........the old CTA BUS RACE!! :smile:

voodoochile
03-23-2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by soxnut
Voodoochile..........I think there are quite a few of the new parks that have their jumbotrons in LF, where they also have seats, and those fans have to turn around as well. So I guess alot of others have not thought about that too.

But ya know, sometimes depending on where I sat in the outfield, I still had to turn to see the thing anyway. And hey, stop watching that thing and look at the field. It has too many of those dumb races on it anyway. They should have just stuck with one........the old CTA BUS RACE!! :smile:

The pizza race is downright frightening. All of the races are sad except for the frogs, but I imagine that will be upgraded to have a sponser soon enough.

soxnut
03-23-2003, 11:51 AM
Oh yeah I'm sure they will :(: :smile: :D:

dllrbll7
03-23-2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
The location also makes it harder for all the fans to see. The one in CF everyone can see, no problem. The one in LF people sitting in front of it will have to turn around to see it. This would be a really strange decision and poorly thought out all around...

Who knows the may be planning for that Home Run Deck in right field like seen in the pictures thus the scoreboard would be best in left field. But then again i dont know if the sox can think ahead like that.

hsnterprize
03-23-2003, 02:00 PM
I drove by the ballpark on my way to work this afternoon, and I saw crews painting all around the walkways on 35th Street and the parking lot north of the Cell. Also, I noticed a couple of parts of the back of the scoreboard were also painted from white to black.

I like the painting of the underside of the roof to black, and I also like the progress being made in other parts of the ballpark. The jumbotron in left field is also a good idea. There's nothing wrong with that at all. A larger screen, plus a larger space in the center-field scoreboard for a larger dot-matrix board is also good progress towards making U.S. Cellular Field a great place to see a game. Also...near the entrances behind the right field area, there are small signs that read, "The Chicago White Sox and Major League Baseball welcome you to U.S. Cellular Field." There are some ballpark rules in fine print that I couldn't see from my car, but I think you get the crux of that sign. With the sign, and the "Comiskey Park" tezt taken off the center-field scoreboard, then I think it's pretty safe to assume the ISFA approved the renaming deal.

Scotty347
03-23-2003, 10:03 PM
I don't think there is going to be a jumbotron in left field. At the open house I asked one of the Sox employees about the specific renovations and he said he wasn't really that sure. So he pulled out a printout of an e-mail that went line-by-line and named all of the changes. It looked like the new jumbo tron was in center field (which is already installed when looking at the pictures). I believe in left field it is going to be an improved matrix display, but still the same type. (most likely used for text messages and statistics)

Dadawg_77
03-23-2003, 10:34 PM
I heard Dave say that, too, but I only know of one Jumbotron that is supposedly being put in. The one on the board appears to be twice as large as the old one, so I'm not really sure either. My guess (and what I wrote in my next column) is that the matrix board in LF is being improved.

Whatever the case, the ball park is going to look great. I just wish I could be there opening day instead of the following Sunday!

From what I heard yesterday switch what has been said. Matrix in LF and bigger Jumbo tron in CF.

Dadawg_77
03-23-2003, 10:36 PM
If you have ever been to Miller Park the board in LF should be like the one they have to display player info, the count, score, and other info.

maurice
03-24-2003, 12:37 PM
They're doing some interesting work on the outfield concourse. In addition to the new scoreboards and the huge CF pavillion thingie, they built what look like Japanese-style gates at the top of every aisle and are redoing the concession stands.

They also are installing a strip of United Center-style scrolling scoreboards (IIRC) just above the club level seats. Should be pretty impressive, particularly during night games.

dllrbll7
03-24-2003, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by maurice

They also are installing a strip of United Center-style scrolling scoreboards (IIRC) just above the club level seats. Should be pretty impressive, particularly during night games.

Thats a good point i do not believe i have ever seen these scoreboards used in an outdoor stadium where you would get to see them at night. I have seen them at the UC when they turn the lights off and they look awesome. Hopefully they will look just as good here.