PDA

View Full Version : Clubhouse, dugout and field

hose
03-22-2003, 08:02 AM
First trip to INSIDE U.S. Cellular Field for the 2003 season.

10:00 am start today.

Hope Reinsy has the free hot dogs again....woo hoo!!!!!

hose
03-22-2003, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by hose

Don't the Bulls have a deal with Taco Bell for free 49 cent tacos when they score over 100 points?

Hehehe the sophisticated sports fan...loyal, dedicated, and fiscally conservative will spend hundred of dollars for that free taco.

Now I know where PHG came up idea of free sherbert that still cost you out of pocket 10 cents a scoop .....marketing genius that PHG is. :cool:

TornLabrum
03-22-2003, 08:45 AM

I'm leaving for The Cell in about 10 minutes!

TheBigHurt
03-22-2003, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
I'm leaving for The Cell in about 10 minutes!

COULD I COME?? :D:

TornLabrum
03-22-2003, 01:12 PM
The additions to the ballpark look great! The platform above the batters eye is going to be a great spot to hang out. I can't wait to see the new Jumbotron. It takes up the entire face of the scoreboard. The black paint on the roofs, light standards, etc. and the dark gray "trim" on the soffets really makes things stand out.

The picnic tables on the lower level of the Bullpen Bar are now green! However, a Sox representative said there are no plans yet to paint the seats green. Apparently the cost would be something like $5 million. There's a lot more green than there used to be, though. No pads on the outfield walls yet.

The LED displays take up a lot more length than the old Auxiliary scoreboards.

Does anybody know what the steel posts behind the outfield seats are for? The Sox rep didn't know.

ihatethecubs
03-22-2003, 01:41 PM
just got home from the cell. i forgot my digital camera at home. looks good, still quite a lot to get done in less than 2 weeks, these guys are gonna be workin serious overtime! they are painting the remaining white on the outside dark grey or black, they still need to paint some ramps too. there were 2 guys painting the back of the pinwheels on the scoreboard black. 35th st ramp still under constrution, too. hope its done by opening day or thats gonna be a bitch getting in there. i was told the weird steel things behind the outfield seats are lights and section signs. they ar painting those black, they wont be that ugly maroon color. also, all the gate signs outside arre being painted black.

stopped at grandstand, the have a lot of cool new stuff. anyone looking for a 87-90 sox cursive "C" hat will be glad to know they have them in stock at grandstand as well as the alternate white hats from the late 70s collar jerseys.

gosox41
03-22-2003, 02:11 PM
The additions to the ballpark look great! The platform above the batters eye is going to be a great spot to hang out. I can't wait to see the new Jumbotron. It takes up the entire face of the scoreboard. The black paint on the roofs, light standards, etc. and the dark gray "trim" on the soffets really makes things stand out.

The picnic tables on the lower level of the Bullpen Bar are now green! However, a Sox representative said there are no plans yet to paint the seats green. Apparently the cost would be something like $5 million. There's a lot more green than there used to be, though. No pads on the outfield walls yet.

The LED displays take up a lot more length than the old Auxiliary scoreboards.

Does anybody know what the steel posts behind the outfield seats are for? The Sox rep didn't know.

The Sox need to find a way to lose the blue seats, they look worse then ever with the black and grey and the dark green around the scoreboard. Everything else was cool. Was that a new scoreboard in left field or was it just covered up?

Bob

dllrbll7
03-22-2003, 02:16 PM
Anyone else take some more pics?

Kilroy
03-22-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
The Sox need to find a way to lose the blue seats, they look worse then ever with the black and grey and the dark green around the scoreboard. Everything else was cool. Was that a new scoreboard in left field or was it just covered up?

Bob

Maybe I'm overly optimistic, but with the scoreboard color going from blue to green, I think it's only a matter of time before the blue seats come out. it may not be this year, but I think more than I ever did before, that they will do this in the near future.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-22-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
Maybe I'm overly optimistic, but with the scoreboard color going from blue to green, I think it's only a matter of time before the blue seats come out. it may not be this year, but I think more than I ever did before, that they will do this in the near future.

I was thinking the same thing. The more they add dark green and other dark colors around the ballpark, the more those bright blue seats clash with everything else.

Now that U.S. Cellular has coughed up the cash, some serious makeovers can be achieved. Fixing the upper deck is priority #1, but changing seat colors can't be too far down the list either.

whitesoxwilkes
03-22-2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by dllrbll7
Anyone else take some more pics?

I took a whole bunch, but each time I try to upload them I get an "image width invalid" error message. Pleading ignorance, I summon West, Voodoo or Daver to tell me what to do so I can put them in the gallery...

Daver
03-22-2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
I took a whole bunch, but each time I try to upload them I get an "image width invalid" error message. Pleading ignorance, I summon West, Voodoo or Daver to tell me what to do so I can put them in the gallery...

Resize them to a smaller size and try it again Wilkes,they are too large.

:)

whitesoxwilkes
03-22-2003, 04:17 PM
Just did, thanks as always Daver.

(What a lame 500th post this is)

dllrbll7
03-22-2003, 04:23 PM
Just did, thanks as always Daver.

(What a lame 500th post this is)

The Conconcourse looks great. wish i could have seen it in person!

Dadawg_77
03-22-2003, 05:06 PM
Park looked good, but I fear I won't be able to see the new jumbo tron from my seats with the new center field concession stand. A concession stand and a area for fans on top. The OF is being redone like concourse under the overhang. Those column post look to be gateway to the aisles. The stock ticker is moving to right field, not sure what is going in its former place. The OF beer stands look liked beach huts to me.

Dadawg_77
03-22-2003, 05:16 PM
Was anyone else disappointed we weren't allowed on the field like last year?

joecrede
03-22-2003, 05:43 PM
I agree the blue seats have got to go.

I was told last year by someone who would know about ballpark maintenance that they were looking for someone to buy the 47,000+ blue seats (the phyisical seats, not the tickets to them, they're not that crazy :smile: ) and use the sales proceeds to help fund the 42,000 green seats needed after the renovation is complete instead of painting the current seats.

ihatethecubs
03-22-2003, 05:45 PM
people, the scoreboard is BLACK NOT GREEN!!!! i said it yesterday from the pics and i saw it with my own eyes in person today, it is black. B-L-A-C-K BLACK. end of conversation.

dllrbll7
03-22-2003, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
I agree the blue seats have got to go.

I was told last year by someone who would know about ballpark maintenance that they were looking for someone to buy the 47,000+ blue seats (the phyisical seats, not the tickets to them, they're not that crazy :smile: ) and use the sales proceeds to help fund the 42,000 green seats needed after the renovation is complete instead of painting the current seats.

Since the seats are plastic it really isnt possible to paint the actual seat. However they could take the plastic out and paint the metal sides and replace the plastic with whatever color they want just like they did at old comiskey switching from the wood to plastic seats.

Daver
03-22-2003, 05:59 PM
Since the seats are plastic it really isnt possible to paint the actual seat. However they could take the plastic out and paint the metal sides and replace the plastic with whatever color they want just like they did at old comiskey switching from the wood to plastic seats.

You can paint plastic,they make a solvent based paint specifically for painting plastic.

whitesoxwilkes
03-22-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by ihatethecubs
people, the scoreboard is BLACK NOT GREEN!!!! i said it yesterday from the pics and i saw it with my own eyes in person today, it is black. B-L-A-C-K BLACK. end of conversation.

I HAVE to beg to differ on this. It looks forest green to me...

dllrbll7
03-22-2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by daver
You can paint plastic,they make a solvent based paint specifically for painting plastic.

Well you are still goin to have the problem with chips and scratches revealing the blue. For the amount of wear on them i dont think it would be worth it.

Scotty347
03-22-2003, 06:14 PM
Your eyes are failing you. The scoreboard is definitely dark green. I thought it was black from the pictures, but I was positive at the open house the board is green.

siugrad25
03-22-2003, 06:28 PM
Thanks to those kind enough to post some of the renovation photos. :smile: The park's looking really good and I can't wait to come up there in early April. I especially like the new Jumbotrons. I just get concerned seeing jackets in some of those pictures when I've been blessed with 80+ degree days out here.

TornLabrum
03-22-2003, 06:31 PM

It looked green to me and to the person I was with.

soxnut
03-22-2003, 06:54 PM
Ok guys, black, or green, whatever.....it looks good. But I do have a few questions:

In the pictures posted the other day, the digital clock in the lower left hand corner was not there. Did they remove it because they had to paint the scoreboard greenblack or are they replacing? Or are they going to put a clock where the McD's ad is?

To me it is hard to tell how big that jumbotron really is on the cf socreboard. Does it go from one ad sign to the next?

And are they getting rid of the blue outline on the front of the billboards and replacing it with the greenblack color?

What color is on the front of the bullpen sportsbar?

What color is the concrete and little roof painted behind home?

soxnut
03-22-2003, 06:55 PM
oh ..and does anyone know what color the padding on the walls is going to be? The bad blue that looks real bad on tv or the blackgreen? :?:

hose
03-22-2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Was anyone else disappointed we weren't allowed on the field like last year?

I was at first but I wolfed down a extra hot dog and felt better :D:

Seeing the Stadium Club for the first time was quite impressive.
At $400 dollars per seat for Split Season ticket holders the cost might be a bit to much considering I want to see all of the All-Star events. Next year I may buy the Stadium Club package.

Hangar18
03-22-2003, 09:54 PM

I saw the pics, and I too thought the scoreboard was now painted Black. BUT ITS NOT. I was there, and Realized that the color matched the color of the centerfield area which is GREEN.
Wilkes and I both saw it with our own eyes. Dont worry Ihatecubs, it looks black at first glance, so your not going crazy or anything. Let me say this though...it is AMAZING how the brick in the outfield area, along with the Ornamental Iron Work that is right at the top of the Aisles on the concourse, look EXCELLENT!!!
Makes the Place look WARMER, more INVITING, and DEFINITELY MORE COZIER. I want to know who thought of putting the exposed, white painted Industrial Brick out there in the 1st place?
I really really really really really really really really really really really want to know. was it that Savarise guys idea? if it was...
it was a HORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIBLE concept.
Industrial brick is intended for Parking Lots, Large scale projects like 80-story buildings, Warehouses, Chemical Factories and in general, not meant to be used IN THE FASHION THEY USED IT FOR. I sat in the Stadium CLub, and for like an hour, just studied the look, and was very happy to see the way the concourse is shaping up. The permanent Beer Booths they have out there, are now going to have a Wood/steel/brick construction, with the Wood being used as a roof for the beer stand, so it resembles a Gazebo of some kind. Very WARM, excellent use of materials. I was amazed at how nice this looked, then becoming ANGRY that I had to put up with the previous 11 years of the Warehouse-Giant Billboard-Expressway Look out there.
TERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIble. can anyone tell my distaste for what we had to what we have now?? I mean seriously folks. Did they sit down with the HOK architectural firm, and say "Hey FELLAS, we want something extremely DIFFERENT here. Instead of warmth and coziness, we want something with a WAREHOUSE/EXPRESSWAY/INDUSTRIAL/STERILE look out there. Is it POSSIBLE TO INCORPORATE SOME GIANT BILLBOARDS also to complete the look????"

ewokpelts
03-22-2003, 09:54 PM
The Stdium Club costs 400/800 per account. You get four passes per game.
Gene

Hangar18
03-22-2003, 09:55 PM
OH, and on a side note, the Quesadillas were excellent. Thanks again Wilkes for the Coffee Mug. I appreciate it!!!

whitesoxwilkes
03-22-2003, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
OH, and on a side note, the Quesadillas were excellent. Thanks again Wilkes for the Coffee Mug. I appreciate it!!!

No problem, Hangar...enjoy!

TornLabrum
03-22-2003, 11:29 PM
Longtime readers of "Fallen Arches" will note that many of the things the Sox have done to this point to improve the look of Comiskey Park were ideas that were presented in the column about three years ago after a visit to Comerica Park. I'm still a fan of PHG's idea of putting a permanent carnival midway in the south parking lot, though.

hose
03-23-2003, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
The Stdium Club costs 400/800 per account. You get four passes per game.
Gene

$400 per account.....hmmmm. Income tax refund should be coming soon, at least the Federal part , the state & Blagovech might be sending a I.O.U.

4 passes per account, that means I could invite a couple of WSI members now and then, if they were interested

Hangar18
03-23-2003, 10:47 AM
$400 per account.....hmmmm. Income tax refund should be coming soon, at least the Federal part , the state & Blagovech might be sending a I.O.U.

4 passes per account, that means I could invite a couple of WSI members now and then, if they were interested

put me down! go ahead and put down Wilkes too lol

gosox41
03-23-2003, 11:44 AM

It honestly looks green to me. Anyone else out at US Cellular yesterday that wishes to clear this up? I was there and double checked because of an early post asking about this issue.

Bob

dllrbll7
03-23-2003, 12:14 PM

Dont forget you have to pay each time for the food and the drinks and trust me its NOT CHEAP. but it is really good.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-23-2003, 05:41 PM
Longtime readers of "Fallen Arches" will note that many of the things the Sox have done to this point to improve the look of Comiskey Park were ideas that were presented in the column about three years ago after a visit to Comerica Park. I'm still a fan of PHG's idea of putting a permanent carnival midway in the south parking lot, though.

It's too late now, Torn. I pitched that idea back in '96. The Sox ignored it but I'm guessing some lurker from Detroit picked it up and ran with it for the Tigers. Comerica Park opened in '00 with the giant scoreboard and the merry-go-round. It's only a matter of time before somebody grabs the ferris wheel idea, too. <sigh>

Maybe they'll do the giant "CHICAGO WHITE SOX BASEBALL" idea with the painted seats in the upper deck. Nah... too clever.

:veeck
"Whatever happened to beer case stacking night? Ah, those were the days!"

ilovemags30
03-23-2003, 06:35 PM

yea when i went there last week for work training the scoreboard clearly looks black

hose
03-24-2003, 06:26 AM
Dont forget you have to pay each time for the food and the drinks and trust me its NOT CHEAP. but it is really good.

AWWWW jeeeezzzz you just had to snap me back to reality. LOL!!

hose
03-24-2003, 06:30 AM
put me down! go ahead and put down Wilkes too lol

It looks like it is the Bull Pen Bar........nothing wrong with that option :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :smile:

Good times at Comisk..err, the Cell either way!!!

dllrbll7
03-24-2003, 07:42 AM
AWWWW jeeeezzzz you just had to snap me back to reality. LOL!!

Well its better than buyin it and then after a few games realizing that it is going to cost a fortune.

steff
03-24-2003, 08:40 AM
No problem, Hangar...enjoy!

Hey.. did you guys miss me..? :D:

Hangar18
03-24-2003, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by steff3603

Yes we did steff. had to take the pic without you heh heh.

steff
03-24-2003, 08:49 AM
Yes we did steff. had to take the pic without you heh heh.

Rain check for opening day :D:

Which, by the way, we'll be there VERY early for. Last count was 3 coolers and enough food for a small army :-).

Hangar18
03-24-2003, 08:56 AM
Rain check for opening day :D:

Which, by the way, we'll be there VERY early for. Last count was 3 coolers and enough food for a small army :-).

awesome! I am theeeeeeeeeeere.

whitesoxwilkes
03-24-2003, 02:07 PM

Terribly. More than you can ever fathom. I even pointed out to Hangar and Kris when we were standing in the Stadium Club looking at the field "that's where Steff's seats are" and a tear came to my eye.

YOu better just put my name on one of those coolers right now. We'll be getting to the park about 1:30 on Opening Day.

steff
03-24-2003, 03:36 PM
Terribly. More than you can ever fathom. I even pointed out to Hangar and Kris when we were standing in the Stadium Club looking at the field "that's where Steff's seats are" and a tear came to my eye.

YOu better just put my name on one of those coolers right now. We'll be getting to the park about 1:30 on Opening Day.

1:30 !?!?! They'll be near empty by then (you did see Hangar is coming, right :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: ).

whitesoxwilkes
03-24-2003, 04:13 PM
1:30 !?!?! They'll be near empty by then (you did see Hangar is coming, right :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: ).

I'll see what I can do about getting there sooner...Hangar's got nothing on me!