PDA

View Full Version : Ritch in Attitude

bc2k
03-21-2003, 10:19 PM
I started writing this in response to the hose thread titled, "Line on Ritchie," but I got carried away and thought this rant would be best suited in a thread rather than a single post.

I don't like posters ripping on Todd Ritchie. His attitude alone buys him penance from ripping on him. He was a gamer, taking the ball every fifth day and even pitching through injury for our White Sox. The first month and a half of the 2002 season, he was our second best starter and lived up to expectations.

He never had anything bad to say about his teammates or made any excuses as to why he wasn't winning (horrendous run support). He was unfairly placed in a role that was very difficult for him to live up to. All Winter we heard comparisons to Jon Lieber and how we've got a #2 who'll lead us back into the postseason.

His professionalism towards the Sox didn't end with his tenure. About a month ago, I remember reading a quote of his saying how he had hoped things had worked out better in his time with the Sox and that he wished he had a second chance to redeem himself to the Sox fans. And yet he gets ripped apart for having poor stats when his poor stats only came while playing through injury.

I propose a rule that everytime a Sox fan wants to rip on Todd Ritchie for not having a successful 2002, that fan must rip Frank Thomas equally. Absurd? Think about it: Whose April and May hitting stats were disgusting? Had Thomas been decent in Ritchie's starts, we could have started a count towards 20; wins not losses. "Oh, but bc2k, you're forgetting that Thomas was also playing through injury." Wrong, Thomas was playing while recovering from injury while Ritchie was playing THROUGH an injury.

That's right, I'm a Fan-of-Ritchie. I may be the charter and sole member, but I'll take a team of gamers over a team of complainers.

TheBigHurt
03-21-2003, 10:40 PM
well said

Daver
03-21-2003, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by bc2k

That's right, I'm a Fan-of-Ritchie. I may be the charter and sole member, but I'll take a team of gamers over a team of complainers.

Wow,this may be a first,I agree with bc2k.

:)

Bmr31
03-21-2003, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by daver
Wow,this may be a first,I agree with bc2k.

When will OUR first agreement be? :)

Daver
03-21-2003, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31
When will OUR first agreement be? :)

We did agree a few weeks ago that I shouldn't ban you,does that count?

Bmr31
03-21-2003, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by daver
We did agree a few weeks ago that I shouldn't ban you,does that count?

YEAH, that counts!! :gulp:

TheBigHurt
03-22-2003, 12:09 AM
me and Daver also aggred on something very very similar to BMR's aggrement........... and thank goodness for that little chat

rmusacch
03-22-2003, 12:22 AM
I started writing this in response to the hose thread titled, "Line on Ritchie," but I got carried away and thought this rant would be best suited in a thread rather than a single post.

I don't like posters ripping on Todd Ritchie. His attitude alone buys him penance from ripping on him. He was a gamer, taking the ball every fifth day and even pitching through injury for our White Sox. The first month and a half of the 2002 season, he was our second best starter and lived up to expectations.

He never had anything bad to say about his teammates or made any excuses as to why he wasn't winning (horrendous run support). He was unfairly placed in a role that was very difficult for him to live up to. All Winter we heard comparisons to Jon Lieber and how we've got a #2 who'll lead us back into the postseason.

His professionalism towards the Sox didn't end with his tenure. About a month ago, I remember reading a quote of his saying how he had hoped things had worked out better in his time with the Sox and that he wished he had a second chance to redeem himself to the Sox fans. And yet he gets ripped apart for having poor stats when his poor stats only came while playing through injury.

I propose a rule that everytime a Sox fan wants to rip on Todd Ritchie for not having a successful 2002, that fan must rip Frank Thomas equally. Absurd? Think about it: Whose April and May hitting stats were disgusting? Had Thomas been decent in Ritchie's starts, we could have started a count towards 20; wins not losses. "Oh, but bc2k, you're forgetting that Thomas was also playing through injury." Wrong, Thomas was playing while recovering from injury while Ritchie was playing THROUGH an injury.

We are fans. Don't tell who I can and cannot rip on.

DrCrawdad
03-22-2003, 12:49 AM

Ritchie is a decent guy, but a terrible pitcher. I don't fault Ritchie for the fact that the Sox dealt 3 arms fom him. Ritchie had no input or control on that deal. What I do fault Ritchie for is being a batting practice pitcher.

I wish Ritchie the best. I'd like to see Ritchie win for the Brewers. It would be cool to see Ritchie shut down the Cubs a few times this season. It's just not likely to happen.

An attack on Ritchie's performance doesn't mean that you're attacking him as a person.

voodoochile
03-22-2003, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Ritchie is a decent guy, but a terrible pitcher. I don't fault Ritchie for the fact that the Sox dealt 3 arms fom him. Ritchie had no input or control on that deal. What I do fault Ritchie for is being a batting practice pitcher.

I wish Ritchie the best. I'd like to see Ritchie win for the Brewers. It would be cool to see Ritchie shut down the Cubs a few times this season. It's just not likely to happen.

An attack on Ritchie's performance doesn't mean that you're attacking him as a person.

I agree. I haven't seen too many people ripping Ritchie's attitude, but his pitching stunk the joint up. Yeah, he got no run support early, but then he just got shelled from late May on.

Ritchie is a great guy, but that is exactly why I'll take talent over attitude any day of the week - especially in baseball.

Hopefully you get guys who have talent and a good attitude, but given exclusive choices between them, I'll take the talented jerk over the bench warmer with a heart of gold every time...

hose
03-22-2003, 08:50 AM

I'll always respect Ritchie's attitude, he was first class with the White Sox.

A post with a line on Ritchie's pitching stats has nothing to do with Frank Thomas. It would be like booing Canada's National Anthem.

Boo Frank Thomas? Don't tread on me.......

Thursday September 26, 2002 about 12:50 I'm sitting in sec 123 row 12 seat 9. Frank Thomas comes out of the dugout and walks by the on deck circle. A group of youngsters are yelling to him and are holding out pens and papers for him to sign. Frank goes right past the kids and heads behind home plate, he gets his picture taken shaking hands with a couple of suits.

Two guys behind me start to call Thomas every name in the book, swearing at Frank for not signing for the kids. These two guys didn't stop ranting and raving until Big Hurt stopped by the on deck circle on his way back to the dugout and proceeded to sign for every kid there. It was a pleasure to see and the timing was perfect.

I turned around and gave both these guys a disgusted look and they both sheepishly shut their big mouths for a while.

The crowd gave Thomas a standing ovation in all of his at bats thinking it was his last game in a Sox uniform.

Okay I might have gotten of course with the thread :D:

LuvSox
03-22-2003, 09:59 AM
Sounds like a Cubbie argument

bc2k
03-22-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad

Originally posted by voodoochile

I agree. I haven't seen too many people ripping Ritchie's attitude, but his pitching stunk the joint up. Yeah, he got no run support early, but then he just got shelled from late May on.

Ritchie is a great guy, but that is exactly why I'll take talent over attitude any day of the week - especially in baseball.

Hopefully you get guys who have talent and a good attitude, but given exclusive choices between them, I'll take the talented jerk over the bench warmer with a heart of gold every time...

The point I was making is that the reason Ritchie's statistics diminished was because of his injury. Forgetting what he did with the Pirates, he was a good pitcher for our Sox which is all I care about.

bc2k
03-22-2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by hose
A post with a line on Ritchie's pitching stats has nothing to do with Frank Thomas. It would be like booing Canada's National Anthem.

Which is exactly why I put this in a new, different thread.

voodoochile
03-22-2003, 01:02 PM
The point I was making is that the reason Ritchie's statistics diminished was because of his injury. Forgetting what he did with the Pirates, he was a good pitcher for our Sox which is all I care about.

No, he wasn't, period. I'm still not sure I buy the injury thing. Even if he was injured he put up an 8.63 ERA from sometime in May until he finally got benched - if he was that badly injured, he should have said something earlier. Didn't Sox fans rip on Parque for trying to pitch through his injury and then getting shelled? Why is Ritchie suddenly a hero for doing the same thing?

I still think he was benched to avoid the negative publicity of losing 20 games. In either case, is he healthy now? Not much difference between that line posted in the other thread and the ones we Sox fans saw late last summer. They used a PH in his first at bat. At least he didn't get the opportunity to screw up the Brewers offense too.

I like Todd Ritchie as a person, but I am very very glad he is pitching for someone else...

doublem23
03-23-2003, 11:22 AM
Pitching through injury while getting shelled and staying quiet about it is stupid because first, you're hurting yourself and second, you're hurting your team.

I don't commend Todd for pitching through injury at all.

Thirdly, he sucked. Get over it.

pudge
03-23-2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Pitching through injury while getting shelled and staying quiet about it is stupid because first, you're hurting yourself and second, you're hurting your team.

I don't commend Todd for pitching through injury at all.

Thirdly, he sucked. Get over it.

Right on. This entire thread is a waste of space on the WSI servers.

Unregistered
03-23-2003, 06:56 PM
In that case, can I do this?...

:threadsucks

TheBigHurt
03-23-2003, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered
In that case, can I do this?...

:threadsucks

yes sir and why the hell is this titled Ritch in Attitude........Its spelled Ritchie...i was wondering if BC2K *purposely spelled Ritchie wrong

*thank god for spell check!!

BE GOOD SON'S

Shoeless Joe
03-23-2003, 08:02 PM
How quickly we forget! Let me put it this way, Josh Fogg and Kip Wells got the Pirates a combined 24 wins. How many did Todd get us? 5. I'm no math wizard both that's a difference of 19 wins. I'm sure Todd Ritchie is a nice guy and has a good work ethic but he will belong to the now infamous Hall of Shame for the White Sox. So get that plaque nice and shiny so it can be put between Jaime Navarro's and Carlos Martinez's plaques.

Unregistered
03-23-2003, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by TheBigHurt
yes sir and why the hell is this titled Ritch in Attitude........Its spelled Ritchie...i was wondering if BC2K *purposely spelled Ritchie wrong

*thank god for spell check!! Please tell me thats supposed to be in teal, TheBigHurt...

bc2k
03-23-2003, 09:29 PM

*thank god for spell check!!

BE GOOD SON'S

How ignorant can you be? Considering you blindly follow Thomas, I can't say I'm suprised.

"Ritch in Attitude" is not spelled wrong. It is a play on words, off Ritchie's name. Rich is replaced with Ritch since they both read the same, and can be correlated with the subject of the thread, Todd Ritchie. At first I was puzzled as to why you couldn't see that, but now I know why...Son.

TheBigHurt
03-23-2003, 09:58 PM
How ignorant can you be? Considering you blindly follow Thomas, I can't say I'm suprised.

"Ritch in Attitude" is not spelled wrong. It is a play on words, off Ritchie's name. Rich is replaced with Ritch since they both read the same, and can be correlated with the subject of the thread, Todd Ritchie. At first I was puzzled as to why you couldn't see that, but now I know why...Son.

DAM i was just curious why you tilted it that i even said i know there was a reason i wanted to know the reasoning behind it

and dont say i am Ignorant becuase i am BIG HURT fan that has nothing to do with it....and anyone who knows me personally will disagree with you

i dont think i asked it "Igonrantly"

i hate when i get critized for wondering....ohh well

BE GOOD

bc2k
03-24-2003, 12:03 AM
DAM i was just curious why you tilted it that i even said i know there was a reason i wanted to know the reasoning behind it

and dont say i am Ignorant becuase i am BIG HURT fan that has nothing to do with it....and anyone who knows me personally will disagree with you

i dont think i asked it "Igonrantly"

i hate when i get critized for wondering....ohh well

BE GOOD

Sorry, I overreated. I thought your spell check comment was directed at me when it wasn't.

TheBigHurt
03-24-2003, 12:05 AM
Sorry, I overreated. I thought your spell check comment was directed at me when it wasn't.

it's all GOOD