PDA

View Full Version : "Tell Sammy to go scratch"

RedPinStripes
03-21-2003, 09:21 PM
This is what Dave Wills said at the very end of "The afternoon show" today.

*****! Now there's a Sox fan!

hose
03-22-2003, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
This is what Dave Wills said at the very end of "The afternoon show" today.

*****! Now there's a Sox fan!

The Sammy Sosa disappearing act is on cue when the Big Unit pitches.

Kind of like the juice when roids get banned :o: :o: :o:

ChiSox14305635
03-22-2003, 09:48 AM
Dave Wills definitely isn't a Cubs fan. I've heard him rail on them on the White Sox pregame show on the radio. Sweet Music to my ears! :cool:

DrCrawdad
03-22-2003, 11:11 AM
I love Wills passion for the White Sox. However yesterday Harry asked Wills who hed rather have now Frank or Sammy. It might HURT to say it but at this point youd have to take Sammy. Even though I hate the Sammy Show, Id take Sammy over Frank now. That said, Id love for Frank to come back and have a break-out season. Wills answered with his heart and said Frank.

This reminds me of a question that another sports radio used to put to Cub fans. Who would you rather have at first base, Frank or Mark Grace. So many Cub fans answered with their hearts (and hatred of Frank) and said Mark Grace. Obviously Grace was the better defender, but Frank had monster offensive numbers at the time.

One last thing, have you ever heard Cub fans rail on about their love of pure baseball? They complain about the music at Comiskey, advertisements, fireworks They used to also complain about the antics of Harry Caray and the festive atmosphere at Comiskey. But can you imagine how they would complain IF Sammy still with the Sox and carrying on with the Sammy Show?

34 Inch Stick
03-24-2003, 09:55 AM
I'm sure Wills is a UIC fan from way back also. The man is a hired gun who will get excited about any team that is paying him.

TornLabrum
03-24-2003, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
I'm sure Wills is a UIC fan from way back also. The man is a hired gun who will get excited about any team that is paying him.

Dave Wills grew up in Oak Lawn, attended Oak Lawn High School, and still lives in Oak Lawn. He grew up a Sox fan. What he says on the air about the Sox is definitely not because he's a "hired gun."

I might add that almost from the beginning in the mid-'90s he's been the emcee/interviewer at nearly all of our Windy City Sox Fans luncheons. We don't pay him to do them. I've talked to him at most of the events, and can tell you that he's probably forgotten more about the Sox than most of us remember.

voodoochile
03-24-2003, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
I love Wills passion for the White Sox. However yesterday Harry asked Wills who hed rather have now Frank or Sammy. It might HURT to say it but at this point youd have to take Sammy. Even though I hate the Sammy Show, Id take Sammy over Frank now. That said, Id love for Frank to come back and have a break-out season. Wills answered with his heart and said Frank.

This reminds me of a question that another sports radio used to put to Cub fans. Who would you rather have at first base, Frank or Mark Grace. So many Cub fans answered with their hearts (and hatred of Frank) and said Mark Grace. Obviously Grace was the better defender, but Frank had monster offensive numbers at the time.

One last thing, have you ever heard Cub fans rail on about their love of pure baseball? They complain about the music at Comiskey, advertisements, fireworks They used to also complain about the antics of Harry Caray and the festive atmosphere at Comiskey. But can you imagine how they would complain IF Sammy still with the Sox and carrying on with the Sammy Show?

I honestly think ShamME is on steroids and that has inflated his numbers. I cannot say that I would take ShamME over Frank until after this season. I expect Frank to have a good year and ShamME to take a step back in terms of production.

I agree that ShamME's numbers have been spectacular these last few years and that Frank has been up and down and has had a major injury, but until we see what numbers ShamME produces without his "Flinstone Vitamins" and what numbers Frank produces now that he is fully recovered, I don't feel people can honestly say that ShamME will be more productive this coming season or in years to come.

Of course they are going to probably fall well short of their 5% cutoff for continued testing, because of the prior warning of the impending tests and 4 month waiting period before starting testing - thus anyone who gets caught is an idiot. Next year ShamME may well be back to putting up monster numbers, but if he hits over 50 HR this season, I'll be surprised and wouldn't be shocked if he fails to crack 40. I also think the decline will make his K's climb and his average drop as he gets more desperate to live up to his self-created hype.

DrCrawdad
03-24-2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I honestly think ShamME is on steroids and that has inflated his numbers. I cannot say that I would take ShamME over Frank until after this season. I expect Frank to have a good year and ShamME to take a step back in terms of production...

Sometimes I think Sammy is on the juice, other times I think he's not. One thing that strongly argues against the juice is the lack of injuries. Sammy has remarkably been injury free, if he is on the juice.

It's my understanding that the current testing for juice is anonymous. Sammy, or any player, could get away with juice in their veins this year. If the number of players tested this year goes over 5% then next year there would be testing with the possibility of suspension. Even then though it's not universal testing. A juicer could sneak by without getting caught.

Anyway, I hope Frank has a killer year. I don't know Frank's spring stats but seems as though he's done well.

LuvSox
03-24-2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Sometimes I think Sammy is on the juice, other times I think he's not. One thing that strongly argues against the juice is the lack of injuries. Sammy has remarkably been injury free, if he is on the juice.
Anyway, I hope Frank has a killer year. I don't know Frank's spring stats but seems as though he's done well. Honestly, Sosa doesn't really exert himself, on the field anyway. He doesn't steal that many bases anymore, he most certainly doesn't give 100% in the field. He avoids injury by not going all-out.

34 Inch Stick
03-24-2003, 03:39 PM
Vic, I agree that he is a Sox fan. I know his backround and bio as well. However, the same cannot be said of his affection for UIC. Yet, I hear him speak with the same fervor for the Flames as he does for the Sox. This leads me to believe that he is the ultimate homer. Whoever is paying the check is getting the love. It may be entertaining but it weakens credibility. I wonder if WGN came calling in a few years if we would suddenly see Dave in blue and white.

TornLabrum
03-24-2003, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Vic, I agree that he is a Sox fan. I know his backround and bio as well. However, the same cannot be said of his affection for UIC. Yet, I hear him speak with the same fervor for the Flames as he does for the Sox. This leads me to believe that he is the ultimate homer. Whoever is paying the check is getting the love. It may be entertaining but it weakens credibility. I wonder if WGN came calling in a few years if we would suddenly see Dave in blue and white.

Talk about a disingenuous remark! The guy grew up a Sox fan but since he speaks highly of the BASKETBALL team that pays him, it somehow weakens his credibility when he comments about the Sox?