PDA

View Full Version : Rauch


chisox56
03-21-2003, 06:45 PM
The white sox can not give up on Jon Rauch. With his height he can develop into a power pitcher. Just think of Randy johnson in the early years of his career. He used to have more walks than strikeouts. If the white sox work a lot with rauch he can become a great pitcher for them.

Daver
03-21-2003, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by chisox56
The white sox can not give up on Jon Rauch. With his height he can develop into a power pitcher. Just think of Randy johnson in the early years of his career. He used to have more walks than strikeouts. If the white sox work a lot with rauch he can become a great pitcher for them.

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

RichH55
03-21-2003, 06:57 PM
I was under the impression that besides both being really tall Johnson and Jon were quite different pitchers....Jon doesnt have the 99 mph fastball, but up til the injury had better control

Bmr31
03-21-2003, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by chisox56
The white sox can not give up on Jon Rauch. With his height he can develop into a power pitcher. Just think of Randy johnson in the early years of his career. He used to have more walks than strikeouts. If the white sox work a lot with rauch he can become a great pitcher for them.

Rauch is not a power pitcher and he is not just going to "find" 10 mph on his fastball. In addition, I dont feel anyone has given up on jon. Other than that, WELCOME!!

pudge
03-21-2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by chisox56
The white sox can not give up on Jon Rauch. With his height he can develop into a power pitcher. Just think of Randy johnson in the early years of his career. He used to have more walks than strikeouts. If the white sox work a lot with rauch he can become a great pitcher for them.

Boy, you are jumping right into the fire with that one. I second BMR's comments though.

hold2dibber
03-22-2003, 02:25 AM
The ONLY similarity between Rauch and Johnson is their height. Johnson is a classic power pitcher; Rauch is a classic curve ball pitcher. But I agree with your basic point - i.e., that Rauch (assuming he stays healthy) has a bright future, and there's no reason to give up on him now.

VeeckAsInWreck
03-22-2003, 05:51 AM
If worse comes to worse, maybe Reinsdorf will send Rauch to play for the Bulls! :D:

ChiSox14305635
03-22-2003, 09:16 AM
I think it was a good move to send him down to start the year. Let him get some regular work in the rotation at Charlotte, perhaps for the entire year. But when he comes back up with the club, only put him in the rotation. Don't do any of that crap moving him back and forth. Make his role clear and concise. I still think he's got a good future ahead of him.

gosox41
03-22-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by ChiSox14305635
I think it was a good move to send him down to start the year. Let him get some regular work in the rotation at Charlotte, perhaps for the entire year. But when he comes back up with the club, only put him in the rotation. Don't do any of that crap moving him back and forth. Make his role clear and concise. I still think he's got a good future ahead of him.


Every time I hear about Rauch I wonder how badly the Sox screwed him up by throwing him in the starting rotation right after a year off from shoiulder surgery.

It's moves like these that make me question Sox management and is why I am so against Williams and Manuel.

Let's hope Rauch gets some more experience in AAA and is efffective if he's brought up to the majors once Loiaza wakes up to reality.

Bob

ssang
03-22-2003, 11:43 AM
Rauch is WEAK sauce, man! I mean he's 6'11 and he throws LOW 90's stuff!?!? PATHETIC! It seems to me that this kid is gonna be a bust. They should have sold high on Rauce. He should've been traded back when his potential was great. Now they're stuck with him becuase no one wants this dud. By comparison of his height to his fastball.....I'd say he throws like a chick (no offense to the ladies out there). There's my 2 cents on Rauch.

Daver
03-22-2003, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by ssang
Rauch is WEAK sauce, man! I mean he's 6'11 and he throws LOW 90's stuff!?!? PATHETIC! It seems to me that this kid is gonna be a bust. They should have sold high on Rauce. He should've been traded back when his potential was great. Now they're stuck with him becuase no one wants this dud. By comparison of his height to his fastball.....I'd say he throws like a chick (no offense to the ladies out there). There's my 2 cents on Rauch.


What in the hell does height have to do with his pitching ability?

If you are relying on a radar gun to judge pitchers you are on the wrong track.

Paulwny
03-22-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by daver
What in the hell does height have to do with his pitching ability?

If you are relying on a radar gun to judge pitchers you are on the wrong track.

The radar gun is slowly replacing pitching scouts, bad sign.

Bmr31
03-22-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by daver
What in the hell does height have to do with his pitching ability?

If you are relying on a radar gun to judge pitchers you are on the wrong track.

While i agree with you, I do think you greatly underrate the importance of how hard a guy throws. ITS VERY IMPORTANT, to getting to and staying in the majors. What i agree with is, height and pitching ability are not related. In fact, what the hell does height have to do with how hard a guy throws?

Daver
03-22-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31
While i agree with you, I do think you greatly underrate the importance of how hard a guy throws. ITS VERY IMPORTANT, to getting to and staying in the majors.

So Greg Maddux,who has never thrown more than the low 90's is not a good pitcher?

Huisj
03-22-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by daver
So Greg Maddux,who has never thrown more than the low 90's is not a good pitcher?

trying to prove a generalization wrong with one counterexample doesn't prove a thing. I would have to agree that in general, pitchers who throw harder are more likely to have long term success in the major leagues. sure, there are guys who don't throw hard who do good, but they are usually more rare.

Shoeless Joe
03-22-2003, 02:17 PM
Although Rauch isn't going to win a Cy Young award anytime soon, I think if they give him enough time to develop then maybe he can become a solid pitcher. As far as the whole height=velocity argument, it kind of seems odd to see a 7ft guy throw a soft fastball but the fact remains if a pitcher can hit his spots and change speeds well, you are going to win. So let's give him a chance to develop. Not every pitcher from the minors turns into a Mark Buehrle overnight.

voodoochile
03-22-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Shoeless Joe
Although Rauch isn't going to win a Cy Young award anytime soon, I think if they give him enough time to develop then maybe he can become a solid pitcher. As far as the whole height=velocity argument, it kind of seems odd to see a 7ft guy throw a soft fastball but the fact remains if a pitcher can hit his spots and change speeds well, you are going to win. So let's give him a chance to develop. Not every pitcher from the minors turns into a Mark Buehrle overnight.

I thought Rauch had hit 95 before surgery. I know that isn't RJ material, but it isn't exactly soft either. Am I mis-remembering?

Iguana775
03-22-2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I thought Rauch had hit 95 before surgery. I know that isn't RJ material, but it isn't exactly soft either. Am I mis-remembering?

That's what I thought, too. Rauch isn't a Jamie Moyer. He does have some heat to him fastball. He just needs time to get it back from the surgery.

ScottyTheSoxFan
03-22-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck
If worse comes to worse, maybe Reinsdorf will send Rauch to play for the Bulls! :D:

i take him over dalibor ba-whatshisname.