PDA

View Full Version : John Sickel's Baseball Prospects Book

kermittheefrog
03-21-2003, 02:40 PM
I got John Sickels' new book in the mail today, it's great stuff. I think his work here is better than the old Stats minor league scouting notebook.

He likes Kris Honel more than I expected him to and says Honel has ace potential. He is really down on Joe Borchard though. Sickels barely ranks Borchard in the top 50 batting prospects and ranks Marlon Byrd of the Phillies much higher. He's really going out on a limb there, Borchard looks better numbers wise and talent wise. I think his take on Borchard is his biggest mistake in the book so far, possibly the biggest mistake in the entire book but I haven't read enough to make that call yet.

Overall it's a great book though. He is really good at making calls on who will ascend to the top of prospect lists next year. Last year he had great things to say about Rich Harden and Jesse Foppert before others caught on to their talent. He even predicted Hank Blalock's excellence a year before others noticed.

MarkEdward
03-21-2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
I got John Sickels' new book in the mail today, it's great stuff. I think his work here is better than the old Stats minor league scouting notebook.

I also received mine today. I haven't looked through it much yet, but so far it looks very... primitive (of course that's not the word I'm looking for). There are no "bells and whistles." A plain red cover, with "*The Baseball Prospect Book* By John Sickels" in white for the title. The only text is in the Courier New form, with no other font.

Not that there's anything wrong with this, just making an observation.

czalgosz
03-21-2003, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
I also received mine today. I haven't looked through it much yet, but so far it looks very... primitive (of course that's not the word I'm looking for). There are no "bells and whistles." A plain red cover, with "*The Baseball Prospect Book* By John Sickels" in white for the title. The only text is in the Courier New form, with no other font.

Not that there's anything wrong with this, just making an observation.

I believe Sickels published it himself, rather than through STATS, inc., like in previous years. That might explain the lack of flash.

kermittheefrog
03-21-2003, 05:11 PM
While it lacks flash I think he did a great job with everything. Personally I don't think it needs flash.