Bench:

Tony Graffanino
Aaron Miles
Brian Daubach
Armando Rios

- Pete, the 26th man.

HootieMcBoob
03-21-2003, 03:05 AM
Borchard shouldn't be in the big leagues quite yet. Yes, he's tied for the team lead in RBI's this spring....but the guy is hitting under .200. I went to Tucson and he was misjudging some flyball and stuff too. He does have a canon of an arm tho. But he just doesn't have enough experience in professional baseball yet to perform consistency at the major league level. But I can't wait to see what this guy can do after some time at Charlotte.

HootieMcBoob
03-21-2003, 03:06 AM
Oh yeah, and Rick White sucks so far. Man, I hope that guy turns it around when the season starts...

GASHWOUND
03-21-2003, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by HootieMcBoob
Oh yeah, and Rick White sucks so far. Man, I hope that guy turns it around when the season starts...

I'm not to concerned with White, he put up stellar #'s with the Cards his last 22 innings are whatever it is, and he has a track record. Basically he'll end up the year with a 4.00 ERA is my guess

hold2dibber
03-21-2003, 09:19 AM
Aaron Miles is not going to make the team, according to today's Trib. I assume that means that Willie Harris will. Makes sense to me, since Harris is much more versatile. But if Miles has a good year at Charlotte, he will have played himself into contention for the 2B job next year when (presumably) Jose is gone and D'Ang is at SS.

TheBigHurt
03-21-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND
I'm not to concerned with White, he put up stellar #'s with the Cards his last 22 innings are whatever it is, and he has a track record. Basically he'll end up the year with a 4.00 ERA is my guess

yeah and he did so with the yankmees

hold2dibber
03-21-2003, 02:57 PM
By the way, today's Trib also reports that the Sox are still wrestling with the Josh Paul or Miguel Olivo decision. It sounds like they're only going to keep 2 catchers and that Olivo's sub-.200 average has some thinking he could use some more seasoning in AAA. I don't know that I disagree, but Josh Paul is not the answer. Hey! Maybe we could trade Buehrle or Colon for Johnny Estrada - he must be good if the Braves traded Milwood for him!

czalgosz
03-21-2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
By the way, today's Trib also reports that the Sox are still wrestling with the Josh Paul or Miguel Olivo decision. It sounds like they're only going to keep 2 catchers and that Olivo's sub-.200 average has some thinking he could use some more seasoning in AAA. I don't know that I disagree, but Josh Paul is not the answer. Hey! Maybe we could trade Buehrle or Colon for Johnny Estrada - he must be good if the Braves traded Milwood for him!

Paul would be a decent backup for a good catcher. Unfortunately, Alomar is not good. The problem isn't Paul, it's the fact that Alomar is the starter.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that Olivo is ready to take the starting job, either.

hold2dibber
03-21-2003, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
Paul would be a decent backup for a good catcher. Unfortunately, Alomar is not good. The problem isn't Paul, it's the fact that Alomar is the starter.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that Olivo is ready to take the starting job, either.

Well, I don't even know that I agree that he would be a decent back-up; he's just not good defensively. Mark Johnson is the perfect back-up catcher, IMO. But I agree with your basic point. If the Sox had a good starting catcher that we could count on to start 120 games, it wouldn't really matter as much who the back-up is. But since SanDLomar is, at best, an 80 game catcher, we need another guy on the roster who is at least average. Josh Paul is not that guy.

kermittheefrog
03-21-2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

I think the question the Sox are really trying to answer is can they sneak Paul through waivers. If they were to lose him they'd have to find a replacement catcher for when Alomar goes down. My guess is if the Sox feel like they can get Paul through waivers they will keep Olivo on roster.

czalgosz
03-21-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
I think the question the Sox are really trying to answer is can they sneak Paul through waivers. If they were to lose him they'd have to find a replacement catcher for when Alomar goes down. My guess is if the Sox feel like they can get Paul through waivers they will keep Olivo on roster.

I doubt he'll clear waivers; even a mediocre (at best) catcher like Paul is a commodity these days. There simply aren't enough catchers to go around.

MarkEdward
03-21-2003, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
I doubt he'll clear waivers; even a mediocre (at best) catcher like Paul is a commodity these days. There simply aren't enough catchers to go around.

And yet Tom Lampkin doesn't have a major league job, and Ramon Castro is stuck in AAA...

hold2dibber
03-21-2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
And yet Tom Lampkin doesn't have a major league job, and Ramon Castro is stuck in AAA...

Holy crap - Lampkin doesn't have a job? I'd much rather have him than Paul. Send Paul down, sign Lampkin to a minor league contract and have him platoon with Alomar until Olivo is ready. Man, being a G.M. is a breeze.

Stoky44
03-22-2003, 12:59 AM
Has everyone gave up on Josh Paul and settling for a catcher who played in a handful of games? Olivo is having a bad spring. I would keep Paul up. Why rush Olivo. GOD I WISH WE KEPT CHARLES JOHNSON, I think he was very important for the 2000 team.

hold2dibber
03-22-2003, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by Stoky44
Has everyone gave up on Josh Paul and settling for a catcher who played in a handful of games? Olivo is having a bad spring. I would keep Paul up. Why rush Olivo. GOD I WISH WE KEPT CHARLES JOHNSON, I think he was very important for the 2000 team.

Paul is having a bad spring, too, AND, unlike Olivo, he is a veteran (I believe he is 27 years old) AND has never produced in the minors like Olivo has. Paul is, at best, a journey-man, back-up catcher.

At the end of '00, I was hoping the Sox would resign CJ. Yet another example of why I would be the worst GM in the history of the planet. That would have been a disaster. He cost the Marlins (and now the Rockies) about $7 million per year, and he has sucked every year since.