PDA

View Full Version : Photos from the Cell

Jerry_Manuel
03-20-2003, 08:08 PM
A poster at another message board, got some photos, <start pat on back>so I'm being a nice guy and posting them here. </end pat on back> :D:

Jerry_Manuel
03-20-2003, 08:09 PM
Number two:

Jerry_Manuel
03-20-2003, 08:09 PM
Number Three:

Jerry_Manuel
03-20-2003, 08:10 PM
Number Four:

Jerry_Manuel
03-20-2003, 08:13 PM
Photo One is the scoreboard, and the new center field fan area above the green area.

Photo Two is a closer shot of photo one.

Photo Three is the bullpen area and what looks like a new scoreboard of sorts in the center.

Photo Four is of the new LED board which is what you see at every stadium now.

voodoochile
03-20-2003, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Photo One is the scoreboard, and the new center field fan area above the green area.

Photo Three is the bullpen area and what looks like a new scoreboard of sorts in the center.

There has always been a scoreboard at that location in LF, but all it normally has is the lineup and some stupid cheer inducers on it. That is also where they put up all the group names that attend, sponser names, etc.

Hopefully the fact that the CF jumbotron is gone with rumors of a newer bigger one, combined with the tarp over the LF scoreboard means they will be putting in the bigger JT to take up the whole empty space on the main scoreboard and moving the player stats and pictures to the one in LF.

What's an LED board?

czalgosz
03-20-2003, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

What's an LED board?

It's a long board with scrolling text, kinda like they have in Times Square.

Does anyone else find it significant that the new Jumbotron is green?

ScottyTheSoxFan
03-20-2003, 08:30 PM
well i hope they dont run stocks on it like the td waters sign or whatever that is.

dllrbll7
03-20-2003, 10:19 PM
I like the look, the new JT should be sweet. My guess is the center one will be all the video then the left field one will be the players stats and the actual scoreboard.

HawkDJ
03-20-2003, 11:05 PM
So they now have a fence all the way around the outfield? Probably looks better but I would think that is a little dangerous for the outfielders, no?

Anybody know what is going to be in that centerfield area?

With the new jumbotron being so big in center where wil they put the score, balls/strikes/outs and inning by inning runs that used to occupy that space?

DrCrawdad
03-20-2003, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
So they now have a fence all the way around the outfield? Probably looks better but I would think that is a little dangerous for the outfielders, no?

Anybody know what is going to be in that centerfield area?...

IIRC Gallas said that they're expanding the picnic areas further around the park ala old Comiskey.

RichH55
03-20-2003, 11:30 PM
I'm also guessing that Primeco AD will come down as well......

koch44
03-20-2003, 11:33 PM
Everytime I try to look at an attached image, it always gives the Warning: stealing bandwith is a crime image. Can someone help me? :?: :(:

RichH55
03-20-2003, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by koch44
Everytime I try to look at an attached image, it always gives the Warning: stealing bandwith is a crime image. Can someone help me? :?: :(:

How do I get that tag as part of my signature?

RichH55
03-20-2003, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
How do I get that tag as part of my signature?

The Anti_Moron one as it is

Daver
03-20-2003, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by koch44

Clear your cookies,you have a bad one filed.

HITMEN OF 77
03-21-2003, 01:04 AM
Park looks good! I like the green scoreboard! The grass isn't green yet though. We have cut our yard 7 times already. That's the west coast for ya. PS-GO ILLINI!

bc2k
03-21-2003, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

I hope the LED board or one of the two scoreboards will track pitch counts.

ihatethecubs
03-21-2003, 04:45 AM
i dont think that the scoreboard is green, its black.

the LED board in pic 4 is like what they have at the united center, should be cool. i wonder if they are gonna put the retired numbers somewhere else? they arent up in the pic.

im guessing the new board in left is gonna be in color too. im pretty sure that is the new board you see in the pics, its not a tarp.

thats not a new outfield fence, they take the padding down every winter.

going to see this in person on saturday. hopefully it will be 100% done. ive seen it from the outside 100 times and it was very impressive, cant wait to actually go inside!

LuvSox
03-21-2003, 08:33 AM
Looks pretty cool so far. Let's see some pics from everyone that goes tomorrow.

Hangar18
03-21-2003, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile

What's an LED board?

Light Emitting Diode

moochpuppy
03-21-2003, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by czalgosz

Does anyone else find it significant that the new Jumbotron is green?

Also, when did they paint all the towers from white? Is that green as well?

soxnut
03-21-2003, 09:38 AM
Mooch, the towers were painted back in late fall-early winter. Check the photo gallery for outside pics of the park when that was going on.

I think the park looks great. I noticed that the digital clock has ben removed from the bottom left hand corner of the cf scoreboard. I think it would be cool if they put a retro anolog clock where the McDonalds logo is now. McD could occupy the spot where that stupid PrimeCo character is(glad USC bought them out, always hated that little guy) :D:

dougs78
03-21-2003, 09:53 AM
I also love that brick along the outfield concourse. That is going to make the park look 100% better. It looks like right now it only goes halfway. I'm thinking that must be finished though.

Another important change that dramatically enhances the park's aesthetics is the lack of the public housing towers in the skyline! I drove by yesterday and I was so impressed....there is really only 1 of those left standnig and it looked boarded up and ready to come down. That actually makes for a very empty skyline, but it is surely better than those dumps.

bc2k
03-21-2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by ihatethecubs

Great sig. 112th and Western.

soxnut
03-21-2003, 12:29 PM
dougs78....... I think the brick on the concourse walls is supoosed to go only half way up, just like the main concourse does.

As for the projects that have been torn down, yes, it looks much better now. There is a site that shows what it the new neighborhood is supposed to like like when it is completed. Check out SOM.com go to the Stateway Gardens project. It looks really nice. :smile:

Guys who are going to get a chance to check out the park tomorrow...please take lots of pictures for us...... :smile: :smile: :smile:

GoSox2K3
03-21-2003, 12:42 PM
I noticed that the white framework around the scoreboard is now either black or dark green (can't tell from the pics).

I guess with all the talk of a "new, big scoreboard", I'm suprised to see the same old scoreboard. They're just putting in a new screen and ripping out the name "Comiskey Park". I guess I was picturing an entirely new structure in my mind.

I like the idea of more picnic areas. Are they still going to kick all the fans out of the picnic area shortly after the game starts?

It looks like the outfield concourse has received the same upgrade that the rest of the lower deck concourse got last year.

I can't wait to see what the new centerfield (seating area?) looks like up close.

Looks good. It would look even better if they could have a 2003 Pennant flying over it next year!

Foulke You
03-21-2003, 12:58 PM
The black looks really nice on the towers and the UD roof from the inside. The park looks cozier. Too bad the fence isn't black too, I thought they had changed it until ihatethecubs said that they just took the padding off. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on the retired numbers being put up on the outfield framework where it belongs.

dllrbll7
03-21-2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
The black looks really nice on the towers and the UD roof from the inside. The park looks cozier. Too bad the fence isn't black too, I thought they had changed it until ihatethecubs said that they just took the padding off. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on the retired numbers being put up on the outfield framework where it belongs.

They still could be putting up a black or green fence in the outfield and i am hoping they do. What do you mean by the outfield frame work?

hsnterprize
03-21-2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You

The black does look good. Also, the center field JumboTron looks neat too...however, IMHO, I think if the screen were wider, I think it would be even better. Football stadiums like Raymond James Stadium in Tampa and Heinz Field in Pittsburgh have super-wide screens, and I just think that would look nice at the Cell. Hey...even Miller Park in Pittsburgh has a nice-sized screen. The screen, plus a scoreboard in left field, would make a good combination. It's different, new, and a welcome change in this Sox fan's heart.

As far as the fence in concerned, with the Sox going to an all-black fence this season, I think if there were black and white imposed photos of Sox greats on the wall, that would be even better. That was done in Dodger Stadium a couple of years ago, as the Dodgers put on a historical mural on their outfield wall. If the Sox did that with their fence, that would really help solidify the "Sox heritage" in that ballpark.

hsnterprize
03-21-2003, 03:13 PM
For a while, I was wondering why the light towers were painted black and parts of the outside of the place were a silvery-like gray. Now I'm starting to get it. Now...if only they'd cut off some parts of that upper deck and change the seats from that ugly sky blue to a nicer green . THAT would be something.

IronFisk
03-21-2003, 04:33 PM
You know, it looks like to me the LED display is also being installed above the concourse? Now THAT would be cool!!

I agree that a nice, dark green (forest green) seat would be great, but I like the interaction of the current colors as well. I guess if you bark enough at Jerry, maybe he'll throw that in.

:gulp:

Hangar18
03-21-2003, 05:08 PM
I cannot tell you how EXCELLENT that concourse looks with the Bricks everywhere. The painted white, industrial bricks out there were TERRIBLE. who the heck thought of that originally.

pudge
03-21-2003, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
IIRC Gallas said that they're expanding the picnic areas further around the park ala old Comiskey.

Wasn't there a big complaint from the Sox batters when the centerfield was blue, so they made it black? Now aren't there going to be complaints with people actually standing in centerfield??

ode to veeck
03-21-2003, 06:04 PM
We have cut our yard 7 times already.

I cut mine every week all winter long, even as the scrubs hired the father of the nearly mowed down batboy

dllrbll7
03-21-2003, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by pudge
Wasn't there a big complaint from the Sox batters when the centerfield was blue, so they made it black? Now aren't there going to be complaints with people actually standing in centerfield??

I believe the fans the patio is high enough up so it wont matter. A ballpark on the north side has seats in centerfield under the scoreboard so i think it will be ok.

SoxOnTop
03-25-2003, 12:20 AM
Pics look good. I like the new JT and the new brick is tight, but does anyone really think that they will put new/useful stats or baseball info/scores on the LED boards. It's just more advertising space for JR and Co...

Where is the stuff for the baseball fan? When will they realize that Sox fans want to be surrounded by baseball and not ads? I don't need the pizza/frog/M&M race blaring at me between innings.

I'm a big fan of the aesthetic enhancements over the last few years, but the atmosphere will not be any better until they stop trying to take away from the game being played.

dllrbll7
03-25-2003, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by SoxOnTop
Pics look good. I like the new JT and the new brick is tight, but does anyone really think that they will put new/useful stats or baseball info/scores on the LED boards. It's just more advertising space for JR and Co...

That is exactly what they will be used for:
http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/sponsorship/ballpark_signage/index.jsp
You can have your company up there for a half inning at a time. Hopefully they will also have different Sox designs and what not like the Hawks and Bulls do at different times. I assume they will still save some of the board for the scores.

hold2dibber
03-25-2003, 10:10 AM

Where is the stuff for the baseball fan? When will they realize that Sox fans want to be surrounded by baseball and not ads? I don't need the pizza/frog/M&M race blaring at me between innings.

I'm a big fan of the aesthetic enhancements over the last few years, but the atmosphere will not be any better until they stop trying to take away from the game being played.

:reinsy
"SoxOnTop, you don't know what you're talking about. You see, my lap dog, Mr. Gallas, has conducted in-depth focus group studies which clearly show that Sox fans don't really care about baseball - and they surely don't care about winning like I care about winning - but instead are mostly interested in thumpin' beats, in-your-face animated frog races and Elvis. You simply don't understand what being a Sox fan means! The real Sox fans are so lucky to have an owner like me who really understands their wants and needs."

TornLabrum
03-25-2003, 10:48 AM

Hey! Don't dis my frog races!

bc2k
03-25-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Hey! Don't dis my frog races!

Hey, maybe Kermit does have a future in baseball.

SoxOnTop
03-25-2003, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
Hey, maybe Kermit does have a future in baseball.

Didn't they used to give out cards with colors on them so that you could actually win something if your frog won the race.

TornLabrum
03-25-2003, 12:39 PM
Didn't they used to give out cards with colors on them so that you could actually win something if your frog won the race.

I think that was for the Sparkling Spring Water race.