PDA

View Full Version : BA on Aaron Miles

Daver
03-20-2003, 06:59 PM
Chicago White Sox
Extra Miles

TUCSON–Few players enjoyed Angels shortstop David Eckstein’s emergence in October more than White Sox second baseman Aaron Miles.

Miles, 5-foot-8 and 170 pounds, has a role model in Eckstein. "He showed that guys my size can get the job done," Miles said. "He showed that the game is all about skill. I hope I can follow in that guy’s footsteps."

Sox manager Jerry Manuel noticed the similarities between Miles and Anaheim’s undersized shortstop immediately.

"He looks like he comes to play, and I kind of like that attitude," Manuel said. "You can see that has taken some guys a long way, like with Eckstein and the way he played last year."

The parallels between the two go beyond stature. Like Eckstein, Miles helped his team win an unexpected championship in 2002. He was named the Double-A Southern League’s MVP after helping pitching-rich Birmingham win the title.

Miles, a switch-hitter acquired from Houston in the minor league portion of the 2000 Rule 5 draft after the Astros selected him in the 19th round in 1995, was second in the league with a .322 average and first in hits (171) and doubles (39). Miles worked a career-high 40 walks against only 45 strikeouts, helping him build a .369 on-base percentage.

Yet the breakout performance didn’t earn the 26-year-old a spot on the 40-man roster. He re-signed as a minor league free agent with an invite to major league spring training.

With D’Angelo Jimenez and Tony Graffanino secure on the roster, Miles is unlikely to seriously contend for a spot in Chicago this spring. But he’s joined Willie Harris, Tim Hummel and newly acquired Jorge Nunez in the group of candidates for a middle infield spot that could open if Jose Valentin is moved from shortstop.

"He’s a good-looking young player," Manuel said. "Any time a guy that size is the MVP of a league, you have to take note. Those leagues are usually promoting prospects, so he must have really opened a lot of eyes. You (can) see why."

czalgosz
03-20-2003, 07:03 PM
If only he could play short...

Daver
03-20-2003, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz

I've seen him play,second is a challenge for him.

czalgosz
03-20-2003, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by daver
I've seen him play,second is a challenge for him.

Which makes his value to the Sox a little more than nothing.

ScottyTheSoxFan
03-20-2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by daver
if Jose Valentin is moved from shortstop.

not again please.

RichH55
03-20-2003, 09:22 PM
Which makes his value to the Sox a little more than nothing.

But at least its good press.....take the silver lining here

hose
03-20-2003, 10:27 PM

At 5'8" he is.