PDA

View Full Version : Why Didn't Rocky Colavito Work Out?

HITMEN OF 77
03-20-2003, 01:05 PM
I was flipping through an old White Sox yearbook and it was talking about Colavito being a big part of the team and was to be the one to help clinch the pennant. Why didn't he ever pan out for the White Sox? I know he was getting older when the Sox got him in 1967 but even in 1966 he hit 30 hr's. Didn't he go to the Dodgers after the Sox? Did we get anyone for him? Thoughts?

Paulwny
03-20-2003, 06:35 PM
By acquiring Colavito the sox were hoping to "catch lightning in a bottle". The team had great pitching and defense along with anemic hitting. Colavito's career was over, dramatic decrease in ba, hr and rbi's.
I believe we released him and he was signed by LA, also hoping to "catch lightning in a bottle".
His decline was very rapid.

Lip Man 1
03-21-2003, 01:32 AM
The Sox also picked up via waivers Ken Boyer in 1967 but the biggest loss was the one who got away, "Hawk" Harrelson.

That's right... Harrelson was having a very good year for the A's when he popped off and Finley just flat out released him in August.

Both Ed Short and Art Allyn spoke with Harrelson hoping that he'd sign with the Sox to play either LF or RF but Hawk felt he'd put up better numbers in Fenway Park and signed with Boston.

The Red Sox wound up winning the pennant. Rich Lindberg told me that he spoke with Hawk about that one time opening the conversation by saying "I never forgave you for costing the Sox the pennant in 67..." Hawk said that he gave the Sox serious consideration and that the Sox reps really pushed to get him.

Lip

Lip

Dan H
03-21-2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by HITMEN OF 77
I was flipping through an old White Sox yearbook and it was talking about Colavito being a big part of the team and was to be the one to help clinch the pennant. Why didn't he ever pan out for the White Sox? I know he was getting older when the Sox got him in 1967 but even in 1966 he hit 30 hr's. Didn't he go to the Dodgers after the Sox? Did we get anyone for him? Thoughts?

Another example of the Sox getting a name player when he was past his prime. The Sox let him go in early '68 when they had one of the worst hitting teams of all time. Too bad. If they could have added some real quality hitters in '67, they could have went to the Series. But Chicago has had a lot of ifs.

Mammoo
03-21-2003, 04:50 PM
They also tried it with Gene Freese and Bill Skowron. They also brought back John Romano after his best years with Cleveland.