PDA

View Full Version : occasional uniforms

LilLgeMngr
03-19-2003, 07:37 PM
I know, partly from the uniform history in this site, that occasionally in the past the Sox would wear an "all black" uniform (with white sox, of course). Do they ever nowadays go all black? I have a little league team with black jerseys that wants to wear all black & I'm inclined to do that, but it would "push me over the edge" if the post-1990's Sox occasionally dress that way (black pants, black jersey).

Daver
03-19-2003, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by LilLgeMngr
I know, partly from the uniform history in this site, that occasionally in the past the Sox would wear an "all black" uniform (with white sox, of course). Do they ever nowadays go all black? I have a little league team with black jerseys that wants to wear all black & I'm inclined to do that, but it would "push me over the edge" if the post-1990's Sox occasionally dress that way (black pants, black jersey).

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

I have never seen the Sox to wear all black since the "pajama" unis in the 70's..........

ScottyTheSoxFan
03-19-2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by LilLgeMngr
I have a little league team with black jerseys that wants to wear all black

those kids are gonna get HOT in the sun. all black might look good, but its not gonna always feel good.

TornLabrum
03-19-2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by daver
Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

I have never seen the Sox to wear all black since the "pajama" unis in the 70's..........

The Sox all dark uniforms have always been navy blue, not black, including the Veeck uniforms which were based on uniforms the club wore in the first decade of the 20th century.

LilLgeMngr
03-19-2003, 07:50 PM
Hey thanks, you guys are great. I appreciate the good point that the old uni's were not actually black...P.s. it isn't hot in Washington State during our april-May season, we actually are trying to get/stay warm and wear shirts under our jerseys. I shoulda said that wasn't a factor, sorry.

SouthSideHitman
03-19-2003, 08:33 PM
It used to be all blue for a while, but as far as I know, the Sox have never worn all black. Besides, color-on-color looks bad enough in football, why sully the national pastime?

Daver
03-19-2003, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by SouthSideHitman
why sully the national pastime?

Is baseball still the National Pastime?

Brian26
03-19-2003, 09:17 PM
Is baseball still the National Pastime?

Yes. Football is only popular because it's easy to gamble on.

Daver
03-19-2003, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Brian26

NASCAR draws nearly as many fans anually,and has a much better TV rating,and ALL of the races are on national TV.

chisox06
03-19-2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by SouthSideHitman
It used to be all blue for a while, but as far as I know, the Sox have never worn all black. Besides, color-on-color looks bad enough in football, why sully the national pastime?

Seattle Seahawks are a perfect example

Brian26
03-19-2003, 09:31 PM
NASCAR draws nearly as many fans anually,and has a much better TV rating,and ALL of the races are on national TV.

Ugh. Don't be so proud of that.

chisox06
03-19-2003, 09:32 PM

Probably not on average on Network TV.

Daver
03-19-2003, 09:45 PM
Ugh. Don't be so proud of that.

Why?

Daver
03-19-2003, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by chisox06
Probably not on average on Network TV.

I suggest you check your numbers again,this years Daytona 500 had a better share than last years World Series,and they were shown on the same network.

Brian26
03-19-2003, 10:04 PM
Why?

Are you from Kentucky or Tennessee?

Daver
03-19-2003, 10:08 PM
Are you from Kentucky or Tennessee?

No,but what difference does that make?

Blueprint1
03-20-2003, 09:15 AM
Does Nascar Winston Cup have 162 races a year? No they have one race in a different city every week. This is stupid you cant compare the two.

SpringfldFan
03-20-2003, 09:26 AM

I don't know, I prefer baseball, but consider that a week before Bears training camp even opened last year that all the sports radio was fixated on the bears, even with a month left in the baseball season, while...

Two full weeks into this year's Sox spring training, most of the radio talk was still on the Bears.

I think it speaks to where priorities are, at least in Chicago.

ScottyTheSoxFan
03-20-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by SpringfldFan
I don't know, I prefer baseball, but consider that a week before Bears training camp even opened last year that all the sports radio was fixated on the bears, even with a month left in the baseball season, while...

the bears were coming off a playoff season with huge expectations from listeners.

Two full weeks into this year's Sox spring training, most of the radio talk was still on the Bears.

the bears were in the process of signing a starting quarterback. that is a little different.

Daver
03-20-2003, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Blueprint1
Does Nascar Winston Cup have 162 races a year? No they have one race in a different city every week. This is stupid you cant compare the two.

My comparison was on fanbase,not on the two sports themselves,and you can compare that.

I would bet the total number of Fans of the two sports would be surprisingly similar................

czalgosz
03-20-2003, 07:22 PM
My comparison was on fanbase,not on the two sports themselves,and you can compare that.

I would bet the total number of Fans of the two sports would be surprisingly similar................

NASCAR is huge; it just doesn't have support with the "key" (ie., urban) demographics, so the major media tend to ignore it.

But I wouldn't be surprised if NASCAR had as many fans as MLB.

And every NASCAR fan I've met has been fanatical about it.

Daver
03-20-2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
NASCAR is huge; it just doesn't have support with the "key" (ie., urban) demographics, so the major media tend to ignore it.

That is changing quickly though czal,they have a track here in Joliet,just 40 miles from Chicago,and the have a track in Fontanna Calif.,as well as Las Vegas Nevada,and Donald Trump is looking for financing to build a track just outside New York City,in New Jersey near the Meadowlands.

I would bet that within the next five years NASCAR will be twice the size it is now............

czalgosz
03-20-2003, 07:40 PM
That is changing quickly though czal,they have a track here in Joliet,just 40 miles from Chicago,and the have a track in Fontanna Calif.,as well as Las Vegas Nevada,and Donald Trump is looking for financing to build a track just outside New York City,in New Jersey near the Meadowlands.

I would bet that within the next five years NASCAR will be twice the size it is now............

That would be great. It's nice to see a sport really take root and grow organically through fan support.

chisox06
03-20-2003, 10:28 PM
I suggest you check your numbers again,this years Daytona 500 had a better share than last years World Series,and they were shown on the same network.

Yea and the superbowl blows everything that is NASCAR away. It's hard to compare network ratings on different sports, especially because footbal is also on Cable and Network TV while NASCAR is all network.

Im not sayin that NASCAR doesn't get ridiculous ratings but I highly doubt there higher on an overall scale compared to football, but I'm sure there damn close. Now the reason why is what have I trouble with.

Daver
03-20-2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by chisox06
Now the reason why is what have I trouble with.

Because NASCAR promotes their product better than any other sport,including the NFL,while baseball has no clue as to how to promote their product.

CART could learn a few lessons from NASCAR as far as promoting the sport BTW.