PDA

View Full Version : Ever get so mad at a Sox player, you "changed" his name?

Hangar18
03-19-2003, 02:16 PM
I was talking to my cousin other nite, hes going to his first home Opener in years. We talked about the one nite when Salome Barojas came in and blew yet another save, think was 1984 season, and we blurted out "Get SLIME-OLAY out of there!!!" Bunch of people in our section started laughing. Im sure weve got a bunch of other not-so-friendly nicknames out there......

czalgosz
03-19-2003, 02:18 PM
My dad used to refer to Juan Agosto as "Juan Disgusto".

soxnut
03-19-2003, 02:25 PM
I also used to call Juan Agosto as Juan Distgusto, I never wanted him in the game. I used to get so pissed at LaRussa for bringing him in the game. I remember going to a game and the Sox were down by about four, then Harold brought 'em back to only 1 run down. and of course the next inning Disgusto comes in and gives up three runs. Man, we were so mad,we started screaming at Disgusto and talking about what an idiot LaRussa was. :(:

Another player I had a name for was Ron Karkovice. To me he was Ron "Carcass of Ice" for the offensive wonder that he was :whiner:

T Dog
03-19-2003, 02:28 PM
On the other hand, Sox fans love their rightfielder so much, they changed his name to "Mags." I understand he really hates being called that.

whitesoxwilkes
03-19-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I was talking to my cousin other nite, hes going to his first home Opener in years. We talked about the one nite when Salome Barojas came in and blew yet another save, think was 1984 season, and we blurted out "Get SLIME-OLAY out of there!!!" Bunch of people in our section started laughing. Im sure weve got a bunch of other not-so-friendly nicknames out there......

Graffanino went 0 for 4 in a game and I started calling him "Graffaninwon't" as in "won't hit."

This doesn't have to do with hating him, but is still funny: the guys in my office call Kelly Wunsch "Kelly Lunch." It's gotten to the point now where we say "hey, what's for Kelly Lunch today?"

davenicholson
03-19-2003, 03:19 PM
Fun thread! I was just a little guy but a passionate Sox fan when I was in the seats at Comiskey with my Dad and saw you-know-who crack one over the roof--don't remember when, sometime in the early-mid 60s, I guess. He immediately became my favorite Sox player, until reality set in. After that glorious day, it seemed that he struck out every time I was watching (I believe he even held the major league record for strikeouts in a double header or something like that), and it broke my heart to see my hero reduced to an air-moving appliance. My Dad called him "Swish" Nicholson; I called him Dave Whiffleson. He inspired so much deep-seated anger in me that I immediately thought of him as my handle when I registered here on WSI, 30-odd years later. I think I need therapy.

davenicholson

davenicholson
03-19-2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by davenicholson
Fun thread! I was just a little guy but a passionate Sox fan when I was in the seats at Comiskey with my Dad and saw you-know-who crack one over the roof--don't remember when, sometime in the early-mid 60s, I guess. He immediately became my favorite Sox player, until reality set in. After that glorious day, it seemed that he struck out every time I was watching (I believe he even held the major league record for strikeouts in a double header or something like that), and it broke my heart to see my hero reduced to an air-moving appliance. My Dad called him "Swish" Nicholson; I called him Dave Whiffleson. He inspired so much deep-seated anger in me that I immediately thought of him as my handle when I registered here on WSI, 30-odd years later. I think I need therapy.

davenicholson

Wow, I'm following up on my own post. Just checking on my childhood memories, which, unfortunately, are accurate. From baseballalmanac.com:

Signed by the Orioles for a reported $100,000 bonus in 1958, Nicholson hit with power wherever he went, but became the easiest batter in major league history to strike out, fanning once every 2.48 at-bats

ScottyTheSoxFan
03-19-2003, 04:03 PM
jeff leifer - jeff reefer.
osuna- in '01 before he got hurt was Blowsuna. not in '02 as much.
Kip Smells
scott eyrehead.
and my favorite
:sandy
SanDLomar.

davenicholson
03-19-2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by TommyJohn
I wasn't born then, but I believe that Nicholson cracked his
immortal roof shot on May 6, 1964, in the first game of a
twi-night double header. The victim was Moe Drabowsky of
the Kansas City A's.

Thanks for refreshing my wasted memory, Tommy. That's some impressive data! Well, that would have made me 7, which sounds about right. I was one of the nerdy kids who kept score at the games. Hell, I sometimes even kept score while watching the games on TV!

davenicholson

whitesoxwilkes
03-19-2003, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by davenicholson
Thanks for refreshing my wasted memory, Tommy. That's some impressive data! Well, that would have made me 7, which sounds about right. I was one of the nerdy kids who kept score at the games. Hell, I sometimes even kept score while watching the games on TV!

davenicholson

Nothing nerdy about that!

gosox41
03-19-2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
My dad used to refer to Juan Agosto as "Juan Disgusto".

I always referred to him as Juan Alouso. I know there are others, I just can't seem to think of them right now

Bob

LuvSox
03-19-2003, 06:46 PM
Foulke-- Keith Choke Tony G.-- Crappanino

Huisj
03-19-2003, 07:15 PM
my dad and i called sammy sosa "sammy strikeout" back in the early '90s when he was with the sox. . . not really a fun play on his name though like some of the others.

Daver
03-19-2003, 07:27 PM
Roid's Clayton.

RKMeibalane
03-19-2003, 08:12 PM
:hitless

"I'm taking steriods. I will hit above .250 this season. My fielding percentage will be 200%."

:hurt

"Royce, get a life. It's not possible to have a fielding percentage that high."

"It is for me."

:hurt

"I'll believe that when I see it."

czalgosz
03-19-2003, 08:21 PM

"I field the ball so good, the umpires give me extra points."

(with apologies to Billy Crystal).

Bobby Thigpen
03-19-2003, 10:29 PM
I used to call Bobby Thigpen "Pigpen" because he made such a mess of things whenever he came in

Easy there killer. That's the man were talking about there. :D:

Actually I've come up with a few in the last few years

Liefer- Quefeer
Graffinino- Grabyourdildo, Grabyourweedo, basically anything about grabbing something.
Marte- Dumbasso

bc2k
03-19-2003, 10:45 PM
Tony Graffaninose for that sun-dial on his face.

Joel Perez
03-19-2003, 10:47 PM
Frank "The Tank" Thomas.

You could say as a compliment or as a putdown. Either way, that's the moniker that I've given ol' #35 ever since his rookie year.

hempsox
03-19-2003, 11:10 PM
Steve Sax = Steve ExLax
I used to pray that he would get hurt or the ball wouldn't be hit to him. What a waste of a roster spot.

Chili-Sox
03-20-2003, 06:13 PM
Paul Josh

Blueprint1
03-20-2003, 06:21 PM
i like Grandpa McGriff and Old Man McGriff the last two years

ScottyTheSoxFan
03-20-2003, 08:18 PM
i like Grandpa McGriff and Old Man McGriff the last two years

and fred McWhiff.

Bobby Thigpen
03-21-2003, 09:39 AM
If we're going with Cubs, I always liked Moisty Alube.

HawaiiSoxFan
03-22-2003, 05:44 PM
This may be a little old for some of you guys but I always enjoyed getting autographs after the game from Bobby Lockeroom!