PDA

View Full Version : Best All-Time Sox Free Agent signing ever?

Medford Bobby
03-19-2003, 10:38 AM
With Opening Day closely approaching I was thinking what was the Sox best all-time free agent signing??? Since this "era" started back in 1976, the best signing ever, I think, was the beginning of the Sunshine Boyz era with the signing of Carlton Fisk. I remember back then thinking this new regime was "serious" in bringing the Sox a winner and knew that Fisk was still a great player in his prime. Since then I think you may have to help me pick the next best signing....Will do a :angry: "worst " ever signing post later(Navarro)

:pudge"It's a damn shame I got to put on the Cup uniform of New England baseball every spring instead of reporting to Tucson!"

:)

moochpuppy
03-19-2003, 10:44 AM
Honorable mention for best:

Ellis Burks
Julio Franco
Greg Luzinski

Spiff
03-19-2003, 10:54 AM
say what you will about the man, but Albert Belle nearly had a triple crown year in 1998. .328 (3rd) 49 hr (2nd) and 152 rbi (2nd), plus 1st in slugging & OPS, doubles, total bases, and seventh in runs. None of it really wound up getting the team anywhere, mostly because there was no pitching to speak of, but the man did all he could.

idseer
03-19-2003, 12:13 PM
can't argue with fisk.

hold2dibber
03-19-2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
Honorable mention for best:

Ellis Burks
Julio Franco
Greg Luzinski

Was Tim Raines a free agent signing or a trade? If he was an FA signing, he has to rank amongst the honorable mentions; he gave the Sox some very good years, he never made waves and he played hard.

moochpuppy
03-19-2003, 12:37 PM
Honorable mention for busts:

Steve Sax
John Kruk
Chris Sabo
Wil Cordero
Danny Tartabull

DrCrawdad
03-19-2003, 12:39 PM

Steve Sax
John Kruk
Chris Sabo
Wil Cordero
Danny Tartabull

I thought the Sox traded for Steve Sax?

DrCrawdad
03-19-2003, 12:51 PM
http://abolishthedh.stonegauge.com/1973-1.jpg
RON BLOOMBERG, CLEARLY THE BEST FA SIGNING IN WHITE SOX HISTORY!

Hangar18
03-19-2003, 01:00 PM

Steve Sax
John Kruk
Chris Sabo
Wil Cordero
Danny Tartabull

If you notice, these "signings" were all done after the sox let the FA market Dry Up, then went for what was left. Terrible. Sax was traded here btw.

czalgosz
03-19-2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
If you notice, these "signings" were all done after the sox let the FA market Dry Up, then went for what was left. Terrible. Sax was traded here btw.

Melido Perez, Bob Wickman, Domingo Jean. It's burned into my brain.

moochpuppy
03-19-2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
Melido Perez, Bob Wickman, Domingo Jean. It's burned into my brain.

My bad.

JRIG
03-19-2003, 01:31 PM
Tartabull was also a trade, no? That was the Andrew Lorainne deal if I remember corerectly.

Hangar18
03-19-2003, 02:09 PM
I know which signing qualifies as "The Most Confusing Signing".
that would have to be Albert Belle. We needed a Pitcher that year, and inexplicably went out and got Belle instead. dont get me wrong, I was excited at the idea of him and Thomas crushing balls out of the park, but we Needed a pitcher that year. Honorable Mention goes to Passing up on Roger Clemens to sign Jaime Navarro. Terrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrible. Jaime did pitch his heart out in June 99 during THE SWEEP !!

ScottyTheSoxFan
03-19-2003, 02:54 PM
even if it only lasted a couple innings, ken hill was absolutley HORRIBLE!!! dont forget darren lewis. ewww.

czalgosz
03-19-2003, 02:58 PM
I know this doesn't really count, but the (re-)signing of Julio Cruz was a bad one. Aren't the Sox still paying Cruz?

TheBigHurt
03-19-2003, 03:03 PM
Albert belle!!!!!!! :D:

gosox41
03-19-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Medford Bobby
With Opening Day closely approaching I was thinking what was the Sox best all-time free agent signing??? Since this "era" started back in 1976, the best signing ever, I think, was the beginning of the Sunshine Boyz era with the signing of Carlton Fisk. I remember back then thinking this new regime was "serious" in bringing the Sox a winner and knew that Fisk was still a great player in his prime. Since then I think you may have to help me pick the next best signing....Will do a :angry: "worst " ever signing post later(Navarro)

:pudge"It's a damn shame I got to put on the Cup uniform of New England baseball every spring instead of reporting to Tucson!"

:)

Tom Seaver ranks up there. Maybe not the best but he is my all time favorite pitccher. The theory behind it was good which was to throw in his ability to an already deep rotation. I did enjoy watching him win his 300th game in a Sox uniform.

Bob

MarkEdward
03-19-2003, 06:07 PM
Eddie Collins.

czalgosz
03-19-2003, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Eddie Collins.

Ooohh, good one.

Wasn't Shoeless Joe a cash signing, as well?

Lip Man 1
03-19-2003, 06:26 PM
Well we know it isn't Ron Blomberg or Mike Pazik

Lip

TornLabrum
03-19-2003, 06:34 PM
Was Cory Snyder a trade or a FA signing? If the latter, he has to be right up there with Blomberg and Sax.

Lip Man 1
03-19-2003, 06:43 PM
Snyder was acquired via trade for pitcher Eric King.

Lip

Joel Perez
03-19-2003, 09:55 PM
Carlton Fisk bought the Sox back to respectability. His bat helped propel the Sox to the '83 Division Crown.

Also Ellis Burks isn't in the same category as Pudge, his bat and arm in RF helped the Sox in '93.

Does that mean Brian Daubach, the Local Kid, is the missing link? Or Esteban Loaiza???? :D:

fuzzy_patters
03-19-2003, 11:18 PM
Darrin Jackson the first time should be an honerable mention. I would also submit Terry Leach and Dennis Cook for consideration.

hold2dibber
03-20-2003, 08:26 AM
Was Floyd Bannister a free agent signing or a trade? He had a decent run with the Sox.

Brian26
03-20-2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Was Floyd Bannister a free agent signing or a trade? He had a decent run with the Sox.

Bannister was a free agent signing after the 1982 season. He led the world in K's in '82 with the Mariners, then came to the Sox and really stunk for the first half of the year. If I recall, he was known for being too much of a sissy to pitch inside to left handed hitters. He got killed because of this for the next 5 years.

Also, Raines wasn't a FA signing. I think we traded Calderon and Barry Jones for him after the '90 season.