PDA

View Full Version : Bumbling around

Irishsox1
03-18-2003, 04:17 PM
I know that the Sox vs. Royals game is pre-season, but it seems to me the White Sox are still the same bumbling team. Under Jerry Manual the Sox have lacked the fundamentals of the game. Baserunning, hitting the cuttoff, hit and run and knowing how many outs are some the little things the Sox don't execute on a regular basis. The Sox are clearly the most talented group in the central, but they don't play smart and they don't play team baseball. The Sox need to play smarter baseball if they want to knock off the twinkies.

Also, why is Aaron Rowand on the team?....this guy is 4A material.

hold2dibber
03-18-2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Irishsox1
Also, why is Aaron Rowand on the team?....this guy is 4A material.

What does 4A mean? Between AAA and MLB?

In any event, the reason he is on the team is because he is the Sox' best option in CF right now. Borchard isn't ready, Willie Harris isn't ready. Who else can you stick out there? Plus, despite his shortcomings, Rowand isn't terrible. As many others have said, he is a good 4th outfielder. But that's true of many starting outfielders in the majors today (examples include Chris Singleton, Terrence Long, Dave Roberts, Marquis Grissom, to name just a few on good teams). The point is, not everyone in the lineup is going to be a world beater (unless you're the Yankmees). Rowand is no great shakes, but he isn't horrible and there are a bunch of positions that are much more worrisome to me than CF (e.g., 3rd, 4th and 5th starter, catcher, long reliever).

czalgosz
03-18-2003, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
What does 4A mean? Between AAA and MLB?

It means someone who tears up the minors, but doesn't produce at the major-league level. It's usually used as a term of disparagement. I don't think it's especially accurate to describe Rowand that way. He would be a very nice 4th outfielder, and he's fine as a fill-in in center. I'm not a huge fan, but he deserves a big-league job.

doublem23
03-18-2003, 06:14 PM
For the record, they have played better ball this Spring.

WhiteSox = Life
03-18-2003, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
For the record, they have played better ball this Spring.

For the record, Spring records don't count.

I do hope that the White Sox can execute the fundamentals better. A baserunning mistake or a fielding error can lose the game in many cases. When miscues happen on the White Sox, things snowball. That's why they need to stress better baserunning and proper fundamentals. The offense can't pick up bad defense or faulty baserunning all the time, so the White Sox need to avoid such costly gaffes. If they haven't improved since last year, which seems quite possible (despite what Jerry Manuel said), I'm afraid White Sox fans may be in for another long season.

Sorry for the Spring Training pessimism, but it's really important to have fundamental skills down and the White Sox need to address and fix any problems they have now before the season begins.

doublem23
03-18-2003, 07:34 PM
Well duh Spring doesn't count; I'm merely pointing out the fact that anyone who gets all upset over 1 loss in Spring Training is missing the big picture on two levels.