PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Primer...

czalgosz
03-18-2003, 03:16 PM
With a very nice, in-depth article on the Sox. Pretty long.

http://www.baseballprimer.com/articles/gleeman_2003-03-18_0.shtml

doublem23
03-18-2003, 03:20 PM
I do like this line...

They traded away Mark Johnson, Ray Durham and Keith Foulke to Oakland and let both Royce Clayton and Todd Ritchie depart via free agency (both coincidentally - or maybe not - to Milwaukee).

:)

MarkEdward
03-18-2003, 03:29 PM
Ah! It's written by a Twins' fan! :)

Seriously, Gleeman's a very good writer. Great preview.

livewir
03-18-2003, 03:54 PM
another great qoute from that preview

about Josh Paul

"he "runs well for a catcher" which can lead to supreme bouts of itís-not-that-usefulness and he hits without batting gloves, which just plain looks cool "

kermittheefrog
03-18-2003, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Ah! It's written by a Twins' fan! :)

Seriously, Gleeman's a very good writer. Great preview.

I like what Aaron had to say. I think his comment on Jimenez was especially enlightening and I feel silly for not looking at D'Angelo the same way.

I also feel like the only person on the planet who thinks Dan Wright is going to be a good major league pitcher at some point. Fine with me though, I'll prove to be wright about this one I tell you!

delben91
03-18-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Fine with me though, I'll prove to be wright about this one I tell you!

<groan>

However, I would have to say that daver has always been an advocate of Danny's, something to the effect of "5 pitches for strikes" if I remember correctly. Also, I've always been a fan of his, so you're not alone.

MarkEdward
03-18-2003, 07:43 PM

I also feel like the only person on the planet who thinks Dan Wright is going to be a good major league pitcher at some point. Fine with me though, I'll prove to be wright about this one I tell you!

Aaron didn't relentlessly bash Wright, he just gave the facts: in 2002, Danny's ERA, BB rate, and HR rate were pretty high. That's the truth. He wasn't saying that Wright won't play well in the future, only that so far he's been inadequate.

By the way, does anyone know when Sickel's prospect book comes out?

kermittheefrog
03-18-2003, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
By the way, does anyone know when Sickel's prospect book comes out?

I am so waiting on that thing...

doublem23
03-18-2003, 08:44 PM
I'm still trying to find a place that sells Baseball Prospectus.

The damn Borders at Norridge Commons doesn't have it.

kermittheefrog
03-18-2003, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
I'm still trying to find a place that sells Baseball Prospectus.

The damn Borders at Norridge Commons doesn't have it.

If you talk to them they will probably order if for you.

fuzzy_patters
03-19-2003, 01:34 AM
I like what Aaron had to say. I think his comment on Jimenez was especially enlightening and I feel silly for not looking at D'Angelo the same way.

Anybody who knows anything about baseball can take one look at Danny Wright's curveball and the movement on his fastball and see he has the potential to be a very good pitcher. I guess the converse of that is that if you don't like Danny Wright you don't know anything about baseball.

doublem23
03-19-2003, 01:36 AM
If you talk to them they will probably order if for you.

Yeah, but I'll be back in Peoria on Sunday.