ordonez RF
konerko DH
borchard LF
crede 3B
rowand CF
alomar C

czalgosz
03-18-2003, 02:03 PM
Aaron Miles is getting way too much playing time for my comfort. He had better not make this club.

Spiff
03-18-2003, 02:05 PM
.356 avg this spring, not too shabby.

Spiff
03-18-2003, 02:11 PM
Top 1
Garland pitching
Febles strikes out
Randa doubles to right center
Sweeney grounds out to second, Randa to third
Ibanez grounds out to second

doublem23
03-18-2003, 02:12 PM
That's it.. I'm convinced Jon will have a monster year in '03.

doublem23
03-18-2003, 02:18 PM
Yeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaahhhh Frank

1-0

Spiff
03-18-2003, 02:23 PM
Bottom 1
Chris George pitching
Miles singles to right
Valentin singles to right, Miles to second
Thomas singles to center, Miles scores, Valentin to third
Ordonez grounds into double play, Valentin scores
Konerko strikes out

2-0 Sox after 1

czalgosz
03-18-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Spiff
.356 avg this spring, not too shabby.

I should elaborate; there's nothing wrong with Aaron Miles, but there's no room for him on this team. He can only really handle one position, which makes him less than valuable.

I wouldn't mind seeing him come up and play as a stopgap if Jimenez get hurt or something, but he's not valuable as a utility player.

Spiff
03-18-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
I should elaborate; there's nothing wrong with Aaron Miles, but there's no room for him on this team. He can only really handle one position, which makes him less than valuable.

I wouldn't mind seeing him come up and play as a stopgap if Jimenez get hurt or something, but he's not valuable as a utility player.

Yeh I guess Harris on that on him, he can play two or three different positions.

Spiff
03-18-2003, 02:29 PM
Top 2
Garland pitching
Harvey grounds out to pitcher
Tucker strikes out
Johnson home run to left center
Berroa flies out to left

2-1 Sox

doublem23
03-18-2003, 02:33 PM

True... But does anyone believe that Willie Harris can hit Major League pitching?

BTW, off topic, but Majewski is back and in AAA.

czalgosz
03-18-2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
True... But does anyone believe that Willie Harris can hit Major League pitching?

BTW, off topic, but Majewski is back and in AAA.

Yeah, and Munoz was sent down; a little surprising, but I guess Wunsch has earned the spot.

I like Majewski. I think he'll be a solid pitcher someday.

And I don't think Harris can hit; but that might not be that important. I don't want to see Harris in the lineup every day, but he'd definitely be useful as a bench player. The Sox have a lot of guys who can hit.

Spiff
03-18-2003, 02:39 PM
Bottom 2
George pitching
Borchard reaches on E5
Crede pops out to center
Rowand strikes out
Alomar flies out to center

2-1 Sox

Spiff
03-18-2003, 02:51 PM
Top 3
Garland pitching
DiFelice strikes out
Febles reaches on error by Alomar
Febles steals second
Randa singles to center, Febles to third
Sweeney homers to center, Febles and Randa score
Ibanez strikes out
Harvey singles to center
Tucker grounds out to second

4-2 Royals

czalgosz
03-18-2003, 02:57 PM
Another hit by Thomas... nice. He's looking really good this spring.

Spiff
03-18-2003, 02:57 PM
Bottom 3
George pitching
Miles tagged out on bunt attempt
Valentin grounds out to third
Thomas singles to center
Ordonez grounds to short, Thomas forced out at second

4-2 Royals

im out, someone can take over if they want

SpringfldFan
03-18-2003, 03:11 PM
Bottom 3
George pitching
Miles tagged out on bunt attempt
Valentin grounds out to third
Thomas singles to center
Ordonez grounds to short, Thomas forced out at second

4-2 Royals

im out, someone can take over if they want

I swear on Shoeless Joe's grave that if Mags could cut his amount grounders to short to anywhere near normal levels, he would win the triple crown every year - easy.

czalgosz
03-18-2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by SpringfldFan
I swear on Shoeless Joe's grave that if Mags could his those grounders to short to anywhere near normal levels, he would win the triple crown every year - easy.

Okay, I've tried to figure out what this means, but have failed.

In other words - "Whuh?"

SpringfldFan
03-18-2003, 03:17 PM

In other words - "Whuh?"

Oops, typos - sorry. I meant that he hits into way more than his share of grounders to short. Wasn't he one of the leaders in amount of DP's hit into last year? If he could cut down on them, his offensive numbers would be staggering.

OfficerKarkovice
03-18-2003, 03:18 PM

In other words - "Whuh?"

Maggs grounds into like twice the amount of double plays every year than you would expect from a hitter of his caliber...many of them going 6-4-3. That is the one main downfall I see in his game.

SpringfldFan
03-18-2003, 03:24 PM
Top 5,
6-2 Royals

I can't say where the last two KC runs came from and frankly - I don't want to know.

czalgosz
03-18-2003, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by SpringfldFan
Oops, typos - sorry. I meant that he hits into way more than his share of grounders to short. Wasn't he one of the leaders in amount of DP's hit into last year? If he could cut down on them, his offensive numbers would be staggering.

Gotcha. I understand now.

SpringfldFan
03-18-2003, 03:47 PM
Top 6

KC 6, Sox 3

All I know is that the 3rd Sox run wasn't from a HR

Hangar18
03-18-2003, 03:59 PM
.356 Aaron Miles just singled...hes now 2 for 4 today...
Sox 4
KC 6

Hangar18
03-18-2003, 04:05 PM
Daubach Doubles!!!! man I like his Bat! man on 2nd now..
KC 6, Sox 5.

Hangar18
03-18-2003, 04:06 PM
Rios grounds out. to end the inning...
going to top of the 8th...
KC 6
Sox 5

Hangar18
03-18-2003, 04:18 PM
after getting the first two batters out...Rauch walks 2 guys in a row. Rooney says hes looking tired out there....hes only pitched 3 innings. Rauch gives up a 2 run double down the line past Daubach. two runs score. finally a third out.
KC 8
Sox 5
to the bot of 8th

Hangar18
03-18-2003, 04:23 PM
Ryan Buckfish pitching for kc now.
Konerko grounds out.
Borchard strikes out on a fastball.
Burke catcher grounds out meekly.

end of 8
KC 8
Sox 5

Hangar18
03-18-2003, 04:32 PM
Rauch still pitching
Someone flies out to Rowand.
Gettis Skies one to Rowand also.
DeeBrown just Crushes one to left field HR. another run
with 2 outs.
Johnson walks, 3 walks for Rauch now.
4 straight balls to the next batter....2 on now for kc

Hangar18
03-18-2003, 04:35 PM
finally a ground out to Miles.
going to bottom of 9th
KC 9
Sox 5

Garland 6 er
Rauch 3 er

Hangar18
03-18-2003, 04:40 PM
bot 9 mcdougal pitching...
rowand grounds out....
graffanino strikes out looking...
Miles grounds out...
game over

Kc 9
sox 5

SpringfldFan
03-18-2003, 04:57 PM
One sentence:

Thank goodness we got Loizza.

hold2dibber
03-18-2003, 04:58 PM
It certainly appears that Rauch is not ready for prime time. I'm not as concerned about Garland's performance; he's been great until today. He'll be a decent no. 3 (although I'd be more comfortable with him as the no. 4). The Sox desparately need Wright to get healthy to fill the no. 5 spot; if not, at this point I think I'd have to go with Stewart over Heredia or Rauch, as scary as that is.

Spiff
03-18-2003, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
It certainly appears that Rauch is not ready for prime time. I'm not as concerned about Garland's performance; he's been great until today. He'll be a decent no. 3 (although I'd be more comfortable with him as the no. 4). The Sox desparately need Wright to get healthy to fill the no. 5 spot; if not, at this point I think I'd have to go with Stewart over Heredia or Rauch, as scary as that is.

Well the wind was blowing heavily today, Randa's double early on they said should have been caught but the wind just took it. Also Sweeney's homer had help from the wind. I wouldn't worry about Garland. I dunno what happened with Rauch but I'm assuming the weather didn't help him either.

hold2dibber
03-18-2003, 05:27 PM
Well the wind was blowing heavily today, Randa's double early on they said should have been caught but the wind just took it. Also Sweeney's homer had help from the wind. I wouldn't worry about Garland. I dunno what happened with Rauch but I'm assuming the weather didn't help him either.

My main concern with Rauch's performance this S.T. has been his command. Sounds like his control was horrible today, and he has commented publicly about his inability to locate his pitches. I've heard it from various sources that when he's on, he has really pinpoint control. In those two starts against the Twins in September, it looked to me like he was placing the ball wherever he wanted, whenever he wanted. I don't know if the problem this spring is mechanical, mental, physical, or some combination thereof, but it sure seems more and more logical to start him in AAA until he gets it figured out.

SoxxoS
03-18-2003, 05:43 PM
Unfortunately, I think Rauch may have another injury. No proof, just a hunch. I hope it is something mechanical that can be worked out in AAA, however. He would be a real nice luxury this year.

Lip Man 1
03-18-2003, 09:13 PM
Assuming he's healthy Jon should be farmed out in the next week.

He just doesn't have it (yet) maybe another year or two in triple A will help him reestablish his control and confidence.

He really needs to play a full season without injury, put up some numbers and restore his faith in himself.

Till then he's just a 6-11 question mark.

Lip

fuzzy_patters
03-18-2003, 11:59 PM
Jon Rauch is a curveball pitcher pitching in Arizona. I'd rather wait until I see what he does in Charlotte before I judge him.

Lip Man 1
03-19-2003, 10:59 AM
Fuzzy:

That's a good point.

Rauch is pressing very badly. Like I said he needs a good, complete year of work to try to get his confidence back. It is amazing though that a guy 6-11 is a breaking ball pitcher.

I'm still amazed though at how passionate some WSI fans were about Rauch making the team and contributing this season. That was a pretty long shot.

Lip

czalgosz
03-19-2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
Jon Rauch is a curveball pitcher pitching in Arizona. I'd rather wait until I see what he does in Charlotte before I judge him.

Tom Gordon's a curveball pitcher too, and he seems to be doing okay. I was an advocate of giving Rauch a shot, but he seems to be pitching himself out of contention.

delben91
03-19-2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

I'm still amazed though at how passionate some WSI fans were about Rauch making the team and contributing this season. That was a pretty long shot.

Lip

I was one of those who expected Rauch to be a key contributer this year. Between the hype and those last couple of appearances against the Twins at the end of last year, I thought he'd finally turned the corner in both his development and in recovering from his injury.

Hindsight being 20/20, I probably expected too much from him. All the same though, I don't think his performance in spring training by any means eliminates the chance of him being a solid contributer to the club down the line.

maurice
03-19-2003, 04:50 PM
I remain unconcerned about spring training stats, especially those generated in Arizona. Lots of pitchers will post spring training ERAs significantly higher than their regular season ERAs. This year Glavine has a 11.68 spring ERA. Last year, Schilling got slapped around pretty hard (mainly by the Sox) in spring training and still managed to do okay in the regular season. (I'm not saying that Rauch is the equivalent of Glavine of Schilling; the point is that spring training stats have no bearing on regular season performance.)

It appears that Rauch is having difficulty throwing his breaking ball for strikes. Barring injury, he likely will get double digit starts for the Sox this year. In any event, he certainly won't spend "another year or two in triple A."

Unregistered
03-19-2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by maurice
I remain unconcerned about spring training stats, especially those generated in Arizona. Lots of pitchers will post spring training ERAs significantly higher than their regular season ERAs. This year Glavine has a 11.68 spring ERA. Last year, Schilling got slapped around pretty hard (mainly by the Sox) in spring training and still managed to do okay in the regular season. (I'm not saying that Rauch is the equivalent of Glavine of Schilling; the point is that spring training stats have no bearing on regular season performance.)

It appears that Rauch is having difficulty throwing his breaking ball for strikes. Barring injury, he likely will get double digit starts for the Sox this year. In any event, he certainly won't spend "another year or two in triple A." I agree with you, in some respect. For veterans like Schilling and Glavine that have already made their teams, spring training is just a time to stretch, build up stamina, test out pitches, etc. etc., so these are the types of guys who don't care about what happens in spring. but for rookies and players trying to make a team, they are essentially showcasing their skills and their ability to play at a major-league level. Rookies getting pounded in spring training aren't usually on the team charter when the season starts.