PDA

View Full Version : Tejada a White Sox in 2004?

BKozi
03-18-2003, 12:21 PM
Now that the A's have publicly stated that they will not re-sign Tejada in 2004, what do you think of the White Sox pursuing him?

Tejada is only 26 and although he's not publicly stating what kind of contract he's looking for, he would probably sign for about 8-11 million per year for 6-8 years. This would be a major upgrade at shortstop. He's been kind of error prone, but no where near what Jose has been. Plus, his batting average is 30 to 40 points higher, he's averaged over 110 rbi's the last 3 seasons, and he hits more home-runs than Valentin. I think that he'll be a major contributer for whoever he's playing for next year and he's only getting better.

There are two scenarios that could come out of this however. If the A's tank it this year (which I doubt), they'll be looking to dump him before the end of the season, in which case the Sox would be losing some decent prospects if they made a trade. If Tejada makes it through the season with the A's and becomes a free agent and we sign him, we'll lose some players in cutting the team salary.

doublem23
03-18-2003, 12:27 PM
No.

Way.

In.

Hell.

voodoochile
03-18-2003, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by BKozi
Tejada is only 26 and although he's not publicly stating what kind of contract he's looking for, he would probably sign for about 8-11 million per year for 6-8 years.

Not going to happen. More like 15M/year for 8-10 years minimum. Could go much closer to $20M/year by the time the bidding wars get finished.

kermittheefrog
03-18-2003, 12:30 PM
Tejada probably won't be worth the kind of money he wants for more than 4 years, usually that's not a problem but he's asking for a ridiculous 8 year contract. There are also some worries that he's older than he claims.

He has also said he wants to move his family to the US west coast which doesn't make the Chicago a place he's dying to move to.

The money that could be spent on Tejada could go to a better player.

doublem23
03-18-2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

Like a lead-off hitter.

:lofton
Who knows? Maybe I'll be back sometime in late July!

DrCrawdad
03-18-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Tejada probably won't be worth the kind of money he wants for more than 4 years, usually that's not a problem but he's asking for a ridiculous 8 year contract. There are also some worries that he's older than he claims.

He has also said he wants to move his family to the US west coast which doesn't make the Chicago a place he's dying to move to.

I've heard the comments on the age issue.

I wonder where Tejada will land. If Miguel payed attention over this past offseason then he'd would have to notice that it wasn't great for FA's. What teams would be willing to sign him to an eight year contract? Boston and the Yankees wouldn't appear to be options.

Hangar18
03-18-2003, 12:43 PM
Miguel Tejada will be pursued Highly by the damn Yank-mees.
However, when the dust clears, I can see the Dodgers signing him

DrCrawdad
03-18-2003, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18

What about the Cubs? They have the dough. Surely Tejada is way better than the over-rated Alex Gonzalez.

Jjav829
03-18-2003, 12:54 PM
No thanks. I don't want him. In an ideal world where money isn't a problem I'd love to see the Sox get him. However, the Sox can use that money in better ways like trying to resign Colon and locking Maggs (and Buehrle if he wants to) up to a long term deal.

I think he'll be a Met regardless of Reyes being there.

Hangar18
03-18-2003, 01:02 PM
Jav and Crawdad bring up good points. I forgot that Tejada is an American League player, and we all know how much the Mets prefer AL players. The Cubs....I forgot about that. I can Very Much See This Happening. Funny how the cubs pretend theyre Broke, and cant "compete" monetarily, but look at the money theyve been throwing around.....

kermittheefrog
03-18-2003, 01:05 PM
While signing Tejada in spite of having Reyes seems like a Steve Phillips move I think the Mets will have a new GM next year and no Tejada. I think the top candidates to land Tejada are the Dodgers and the Cubs. There is an off chance there is no market for him and he goes back to the A's but I think the A's want to save up their cash and keep Eric Chavez.

BKozi
03-18-2003, 01:48 PM
Everybody has brought up really good points but I still think it's a viable option. Last year Nomar made 9 mil and Jeter made 14.6 mil. I know that salaries are skyrocketing since A-Rod, but there's no way that he's making more than 12 million. I know I bragged him up before but he has been a starter for 5 years and had only one season with over a .300 average. Take away the rbi's, and he's still unproven. There's no way the market is going to pay 15-20 million for a guy like that. As for pressing needs, shortstop is a pressing need. Valentin's going to be 34 this year and he has maybe 2-3 productive years left in him and our minor leagues isn't exactly brimming with talent at shortstop. I'd sooner see us sign a 26-28 (who knows?) year old ss who's got potential great potential than wait until we're forced to get whoever we can a couple of years down the road. As for where he wants to end up, I heard that he wants to stay in the west but I guarantee that he'll sign where ever the contract is right.

However, I do agree though that it probably won't happen, just wishful thinking. I would put my money on the Dodgers winning this war too.

doublem23
03-18-2003, 02:00 PM
there's no way that he's making more than 12 million.

Depends on who wants him. If the Dodgers, Yankees, Cubs, or Mets come calling, there's no way Jerry will spend the kind of dough on Tejeda. And maybe for once his "thriftiness" (for lack of a kinder word) may save us from doing something stupid.

czalgosz
03-18-2003, 02:01 PM
The White Sox have a looming problem in that they have no long-term solution at short. There's nothing wrong with Valentin, but he won't be around that much longer. I was kind of hoping that Jimenez could be the answer, but I'm not holding my breath on that.

That said, I would be very surprised if the Sox even made Tejada a serious offer. There's going to be a ton of contracts coming due after this season, and the Sox will have all they can do to keep their own house in order. I'm not expecting the 2004 team to have many new faces on it.

RichH55
03-18-2003, 06:16 PM
Even if the Mets sign Tejada they can still find a place for Reyes to play....I mean Ty Wigginton(sic) isnt exactly Mike Schmidt at 3B and Alomar is getting up there.

Regarding Tejada, the whole situation ellicted one of the dumbest comments I've heard in awhile. Johnny Damon somehow linked it to Collusion....With that and Jon Kitna claiming that God got him his recent bonus from the Bengals....not a banner week for athletes and talking

hempsox
03-18-2003, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
....not a banner week for athletes and talking

Since when have athletes been paid to talk anyway? Speaking the English language is WAY overrated...who are the famous athletes that are recognized for their ability to talk. Yogi Berra, Ricky Henderson, Charles Barkley...the list of guys that wouldn't be able to point out an adverb in a sentence is staggering.

RichH55
03-19-2003, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by hempsox
Since when have athletes been paid to talk anyway? Speaking the English language is WAY overrated...who are the famous athletes that are recognized for their ability to talk. Yogi Berra, Ricky Henderson, Charles Barkley...the list of guys that wouldn't be able to point out an adverb in a sentence is staggering.

See my post in the Parking Lot about my Radiohead Bill banning free speech for athletes and musicians...good times

hold2dibber
03-19-2003, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by czalgosz
The White Sox have a looming problem in that they have no long-term solution at short. There's nothing wrong with Valentin, but he won't be around that much longer. I was kind of hoping that Jimenez could be the answer, but I'm not holding my breath on that.

That said, I would be very surprised if the Sox even made Tejada a serious offer. There's going to be a ton of contracts coming due after this season, and the Sox will have all they can do to keep their own house in order. I'm not expecting the 2004 team to have many new faces on it.

IIRC, there a bunch of good shortstops that will be hitting the free agent market next year (although the only ones I can remember at this moment are Tejada and Valentin). I don't see the Sox re-signing Valentin unless he has a really good year AND the Sox have a really good year. Otherwise, I think they'll look to sign a FA or move D'Ang over and have Harris, Hummel or Miles take 2B next year.

In either event, as much as I like Tejada, I don't think I'd break the bank for him. If it would take $12 million to sign him, I think the Sox could probably use that $12 million/year to go towards keeping Colon and signing a decent FA SS.

rmusacch
03-19-2003, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18

Why would the Yankees pursue him? Where are they going to play him?

Hangar18
03-19-2003, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by rmusacch

Same place they put all those dang extra pitchers they bought.

maurice
03-19-2003, 11:08 AM
I fully expect to see Jimenez at short next year (and even this year against LHPs). However, remember that the Sox made a half-hearted run at A-Rod. Tejada will get only a fraction of A-Rod's contract and possibly less than the Sox planned to offer A-Rod, so . . . ya never know.

czalgosz
03-19-2003, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by rmusacch

My guess would be that they would let Ventura go and move Jeter to third (his natural position, IMO). 2 years ago, that wouldn't have happened, but Jeter's not really the golden boy of New York any more.

czalgosz
03-19-2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by maurice
I fully expect to see Jimenez at short next year (and even this year against LHPs). However, remember that the Sox made a half-hearted run at A-Rod. Tejada will get only a fraction of A-Rod's contract and possibly less than the Sox planned to offer A-Rod, so . . . ya never know.

They should platoon Valentin and Jimenez at short, and play Graffanino at second against lefties, but for some reason JM doesn't like platooning. If JR coughs up that much cash, I'd rather they re-sign Colon than pick up Tejada.

voodoochile
03-19-2003, 11:39 AM
They should platoon Valentin and Jimenez at short, and play Graffanino at second against lefties, but for some reason JM doesn't like platooning. If JR coughs up that much cash, I'd rather they re-sign Colon than pick up Tejada.

Your what hurts?

:jerry
"I don't like platooning because it gets in the way of my tinkering..."

czalgosz
03-19-2003, 12:01 PM
LOL!

Platooning involves making lineup decisions based on opposing pitchers. I don't know what goes into JM's thinking on lineups.

DrCrawdad
03-19-2003, 12:44 PM
The White Sox have a looming problem in that they have no long-term solution at short...

Hey, don't overlook me! I was a first round draft pick.
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/2003/03/18/OK82yPU2.jpg

Sox shortstop keeps dream alive. Dellaero looking to improve offense. (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20030318&content_id=224138&vkey=spt2003news&fext=.jsp)

maurice
03-19-2003, 05:03 PM
They should platoon Valentin and Jimenez at short, and play Graffanino at second against lefties, but for some reason JM doesn't like platooning.

Hopefully, JM learned his lesson when he overplayed Lofton in the first half last season. If JM doesn't give Valentin lots of rest early on (via platoon or otherwise), we'll see plenty of Jimenez at short around May, when Jose gets too banged up to start. I'd be surprised if Valentin is physically capable of even 500 ABs this year. He might as well get the bulk of them against RHPs.

BTW: what's the over/under on Alomar's ABs in 2003?

czalgosz
03-19-2003, 05:08 PM

BTW: what's the over/under on Alomar's ABs in 2003?

I'd say about 200.

BKozi
03-20-2003, 08:39 AM

Weren't we considered "front-runners" at one time in the A-Rod sweepstakes? Regardless, what I envision happening is we will be on the early rumor mill for signing Tejada. I guess it's a little too early to make that call anyways. The season hasn't started yet so who knows what's going to happen. Maybe Jimenez will have a break out year and Tejada will bust. Maybe Colon will pull a Todd Ritchie (but I doubt it). Maybe, as the good DrCrawdad pointed out, we should keep Dellaero in mind! Who knows, he could double his career batting average this year and pull into Chicago in September sporting a lofty .220! BTW, that article was depressing. Give it up buddy and give pitching a try.

DrCrawdad
03-20-2003, 12:57 PM
...Maybe, as the good DrCrawdad pointed out, we should keep Dellaero in mind! Who knows, he could double his career batting average this year and pull into Chicago in September sporting a lofty .220! BTW, that article was depressing. Give it up buddy and give pitching a try.

Was Dellaero available in the Rule-5 Draft? If so, then no one claimed him.

Delaero acts as if the Sox are holding his great talent back. Guess what Jason, if you can't hit you probably won't make it here or anywhere else!

What a waste of a first round draft pick. What a waste of roster space.

JUGGERNAUT
03-20-2003, 01:47 PM
for now. AGON in 2 yrs. KW is hoping that DJ plays adequately enough to fill the void when JV's SS days are over & AGON's begin.

czalgosz
03-20-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Was Dellaero available in the Rule-5 Draft? If so, then no one claimed him.

Dellaero's been on the Sox 40-man roster; I believe that excludes him from Rule 5. I could be wrong, though.

soxwon
03-20-2003, 07:09 PM
if he doesnt want to come to chicago, because he wants to stay Left Coast, why would he choose the Cubs over the Sox, The sox are a winner the Cubs aint and never were.
Answer me that one Batman!

czalgosz
03-20-2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by soxwon
if he doesnt want to come to chicago, because he wants to stay Left Coast, why would he choose the Cubs over the Sox, The sox are a winner the Cubs aint and never were.
Answer me that one Batman!

Ummm... the Cubs would offer him more money?