PDA

View Full Version : Current Military/Veteran Sox Fans...

hsnterprize
03-18-2003, 08:11 AM
I decided to post this because I want us as White Sox fans to do 2 things...first, whether you support the war or not, it is VITAL that you remember there are young men and women serving our country all over the world...let alone in the Middle East and the Persian Gulf region, who need us to back them up. They're following orders, and they're just as aware of what's going on with all the anti-war protesting and stuff as we are. The men and women of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, and Coast Guard need our support to make it through this tough and challenging time. Secondly, I thought either those of us who are either in or veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces should make our voices heard. And since I started this thread, I'll start of the "roll call".

I served in the U.S. Army for 10 years (4 of them in active duty, and 6 in the IL reserves). I'm not one bit ashamed of my service to this country...I grew up a lot while I was in...especially in active duty. While in the Army, I served about 2 years in Fort Bragg, North Carolina, and a year in Yong-san, South Korea (Yong-san is a suburb of Seoul). I was in Bragg twice...the first time between late 1990 and late 1991 as a soldier in the 82nd Airborne Division. Then I went to Korea for a year. I came back to Bragg to serve in a Special Operations Airborne unit connected to 7th Special Forces group. I wasn't SF, but my unit was attached to the unit. It was pretty neat seeing all those Green Berets and such. I jumped with "green beanies" a few times in training jumps. They are good in what they do, and they definitely deserve respect.

I think it's important that we White Sox fans make ourselves counted for not only supporting our team, but supporting our troops. There are White Sox fans serving the Persian Gulf, and I think this would really be a boost to their morale if they know there are Sox fans here who are behind them. And...when they come home, let's give our troops a hero's welcome, and treat them with the respect and admiration they deserve.

AIRBORNE ALL THE WAY !!!!!!!

America's Guard of Honor...the All-American 82nd Airborne Division!!!!! (http://www.bragg.army.mil/www-82DV/AAandUS_review.jpg)

Keep your feet and knees together!!!!!

idseer
03-18-2003, 08:38 AM
1966 drafted .. 2 years in the army air. basic at ft knox, ait at ft hauchuca arizona then a year in korea on an island called yong dong po just outside of seoul. flew and monitored the dmz. then straight home.

Iguana775
03-18-2003, 08:56 AM
i just recently joined the Army National Guard and go to basic at Ft. Sill in OK in July. And I am DAMN proud of it.

hsnterprize
03-18-2003, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Iguana775
i just recently joined the Army National Guard and go to basic at Ft. Sill in OK in July. And I am DAMN proud of it.

Congratulations. Here's a tip...do EXACTLY what your Drill Sergeants tell you. It's their job, whether male or female, to convert you from a civilian to a soldier in a short amount of time. The 'culture shock' of going into military life will overwhelm you for a short amount of time, but hang in there. Before you know it, you'll be marching on the parade field in your graduation pass and review.

And another thing...try not to let what the Drill Sergeants say get to your head. It'll be tough because they'll be in your face from start to finish. But...they're doing what they're doing to help you become a soldier. And...NEVER REFER TO A DRILL SERGEANT AS "SIR" or "MA'AM". You'll be VERY sorry if you do. You refer to them as "DRILL SERGEANT".

Good luck to you.

Hangar18
03-18-2003, 09:21 AM
My dad (r.i.p.) served in Korea.

livewir
03-18-2003, 09:57 AM
U.S. Naval Reserve! Greatest thing I've ever done.

JUICE
03-19-2003, 01:47 AM
I've been in the Air Force for 15 years active duty serving overseas as well as stateside. I'm currently stateside in California and can be deployed at any moment. My home town is Gary, Indiana, and have been a Sox fan all my life. I just want to say that I hope everyone keeps supporting the troops because we're proud to serve our country. Having you guys backing us up and supporting us means a lot. If I do get deployed, hopefully I'll be back to see the White Sox in the playoffs.

voodoochile
03-19-2003, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by JUICE
I've been in the Air Force for 15 years active duty serving overseas as well as stateside. I'm currently stateside in California and can be deployed at any moment. My home town is Gary, Indiana, and have been a Sox fan all my life. I just want to say that I hope everyone keeps supporting the troops because we're proud to serve our country. Having you guys backing us up and supporting us means a lot. If I do get deployed, hopefully I'll be back to see the White Sox in the playoffs.

Welcome aboard! :)

And however the current situation works out, I wish you the best of luck.

HawaiiSoxFan
03-19-2003, 02:26 AM
I've been in the Army since 1970 with a 4 year break while attending ROTC at NIU. Been in Vietnam with the 173d Airborne Brigade, and the Gulf War with the 1st Cavalry Division. Currently in my last assignment working with the Hawaii National Guard and will be retiring in Hawaii. I am a lifelong White Sox Fan and will visit COMISKEY PARK whenever I am back in the area.

baggio202
03-19-2003, 03:22 AM
i was 7 years RA from 83 - 89

basic at fort jackson sc
ait at fort gordon ga
mos: 29v microwave radio repair
84-86 heidelburg (konigstuhl) germany 261st signal at nato headquarters (tdy - aviano air base italy)
252nd wurzburg (brietsol) germany
87-89 fort huachuca az USAISEC (tdy - panama - hawaii - iceland -alaska - mcadill fla - norfolk va) - great job!!!!

7 of the best years of my life...if i could do it all over again god i jump at the chance...i got to see so many places and learned so much

recommend it anyone who thinks they can handle military life

to the soldiers - sailors - airmen - marines - coast gaurd , not only from our country but from england , poland ,australia , denmark and any other country that ends up sending troops (even france)..just want to say a big thanks and remember we are behind you guys 100% and all of you will be in our prayers to be safe and a quick return home to your loved ones

god bless you all

moochpuppy
03-19-2003, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by baggio202

to the soldiers - sailors - airmen - marines - coast gaurd , not only from our country but from england , poland ,australia , denmark and any other country that ends up sending troops (even france)..just want to say a big thanks and remember we are behind you guys 100% and all of you will be in our prayers to be safe and a quick return home to your loved ones

god bless you all

A bad peace is even worse than war. -- Tacitus

Be safe and God speed.