PDA

View Full Version : Edwin Almonte & Corwin Malone

Brian26
03-18-2003, 12:11 AM
What's the deal with Almonte and Malone? Are these guys ever gonna get a shot with the big team?

MarkEdward
03-18-2003, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
What's the deal with Almonte and Malone? Are these guys ever gonna get a shot with the big team?

The short of it: Malone had a very good 2001, putting his name on the prospect-map, so to speak. He fell off last year (89 BBs, 89 Ks in ~125 innings at Birmingham). Don't know what he projects to be in the majors, but he'll need to play well in Charlotte this year in order to stay on the radar.

Almonte is a minor league closer, so I really don't put much value in him. He doesn't have a a high strikeout rate, and that's not good. If one of our short relievers go down, he may get the call up, but we have better options (Sanders and Munoz).

kermittheefrog
03-18-2003, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by Brian26

What Mark Edward said is pretty on target. Almonte is overhyped for what he actually is, a guy that does a good job changing speeds and isn't great at anything else.

Malone is interesting because he's got a lot of talent. He injured his elbow last year but wouldn't have been a strong contender for a major league job even if he hadn't. He needs more minor league experience. If Malone is healthy I think he'll see some time in the Sox pen this year. He could be in the rotation as soon as next year.

Bmr31
03-18-2003, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
What Mark Edward said is pretty on target. Almonte is overhyped for what he actually is, a guy that does a good job changing speeds and isn't great at anything else.

Malone is interesting because he's got a lot of talent. He injured his elbow last year but wouldn't have been a strong contender for a major league job even if he hadn't. He needs more minor league experience. If Malone is healthy I think he'll see some time in the Sox pen this year. He could be in the rotation as soon as next year.

What Kermie is trying to say is, as usual, our minor league pitching prospects, are overhyped.

kermittheefrog
03-18-2003, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by Bmr31
What Kermie is trying to say is, as usual, our minor league pitching prospects, are overhyped.

Heh, I think pitching prospects in general are overhyped. For me to have real confidence in a pitching prospect it has to be a guy who has had several years of success or a guy who is unquestionably one of the top 2 or 3 pitching prospects in the game. Even then they are likely to get injured.

Bmr31
03-18-2003, 01:38 AM
Heh, I think pitching prospects in general are overhyped. For me to have real confidence in a pitching prospect it has to be a guy who has had several years of success or a guy who is unquestionably one of the top 2 or 3 pitching prospects in the game. Even then they are likely to get injured.

I agree 100 percent. Personally, I dont believe in ANY prospect, until he proves it in the major leagues. One guy I can say I DO believe in is Mark Prior.

duke of dorwood
03-18-2003, 10:07 AM
It would be nice to get ONE super stud prospect like that. It appears that Kris Honel may be the closest we have to that.

hold2dibber
03-18-2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Bmr31

What do you mean by "overhyped"? Who is "overhyping" them and how? I agree with your premise that minor league pitchers are very iffy and you can never count on a great pitching prospect to pan out, but I don't really see anyone "hyping" these guys up.

doublem23
03-18-2003, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
What do you mean by "overhyped"? Who is "overhyping" them and how? I agree with your premise that minor league pitchers are very iffy and you can never count on a great pitching prospect to pan out, but I don't really see anyone "hyping" these guys up.

Organizations. ESPN.

kermittheefrog
03-18-2003, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
It would be nice to get ONE super stud prospect like that. It appears that Kris Honel may be the closest we have to that.

Well that's the thing, it's hard to get one super stud prospect. On the bright side that's what Joe Borchard is on the hitting side.

Bmr31
03-18-2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Organizations. ESPN.

Hawk Harrelson.

Brian26
03-18-2003, 12:57 PM
Baseball card companies. I've got 5 or 6 different Almonte "rookie superstar" cards.

DrCrawdad
03-18-2003, 01:48 PM

Would Almonte be able to fill the role of a Rich White or Gary Glover?

What about the pitcher (who's name has slipped my mind at the moment) that the Sox included in the Koch for Foulke trade? I've read varying reports on him. IIRC some here said that the guy put up big numbers in the minors but that he wouldn't pan out in MLB. Then when the Sox included him in the deal, some people were claiming that he was a stud. Is this going to also be the case with Almonte, if he gets traded then all of a sudden he becomes a can't miss prospect?

hold2dibber
03-18-2003, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

The answers to this question, so far, are organizations, ESPN, baseball card companies and Hawk Harrelson. I don't know that any of those sources make Almonte or (virtually) anyone else "overhyped". I don't think the Sox are different than any other organization in that they talk about the promise of some of their minor leaguers and others in the media and elsewhere tend to talk about the same prospects, so the word gets out about some prospects and some fans get psyched about the exciting prospects they've been hearing about. I totally agree that fans should be leery about reports of great prospects, because most prospects don't pan out. I just don't think that the Sox "overhype" their prospects any more than any other organization.

MarkEdward
03-18-2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Would Almonte be able to fill the role of a Rich White or Gary Glover?

Almonte and White are probably interchangeable, but I think Glover is more valuable than Edwin (Glover can pitch more than one inning a game).

What about the pitcher (who's name has slipped my mind at the moment) that the Sox included in the Koch for Foulke trade? I've read varying reports on him. IIRC some here said that the guy put up big numbers in the minors but that he wouldn't pan out in MLB. Then when the Sox included him in the deal, some people were claiming that he was a stud. Is this going to also be the case with Almonte, if he gets traded then all of a sudden he becomes a can't miss prospect?

Neal Cotts had a good year in Modesto (178 Ks in ~138 innings). I don't see why he can't succeed in the majors, but he's just like every other low-level pitching prospect: very questionable.

hold2dibber
03-18-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Neal Cotts had a good year in Modesto (178 Ks in ~138 innings). I don't see why he can't succeed in the majors, but he's just like every other low-level pitching prospect: very questionable.

I think Dr. C was referring to Joe Valentine, who the Sox sent to the A's in the Koch/Foulke deal.

czalgosz
03-18-2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
[QUOTE]Neal Cotts had a good year in Modesto (178 Ks in ~138 innings). I don't see why he can't succeed in the majors, but he's just like every other low-level pitching prospect: very questionable.

Cotts is a really good pitcher. Like you said, you always take any pitcher below AA with a big grain of salt, but IMO picking him up made the Foulke trade worthwhile.

doublem23
03-18-2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad

Joe Valentine? Ehhh... Who knows? We may have gotten better prospects out of that trade.