PDA

View Full Version : Baseball in Europe


FanOf14
03-17-2003, 03:09 PM
MLB is setting their sites on Europe... (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-mlb-europe&prov=ap&type=lgns)

I don't think I like this idea because it could throw off too many players with the amount of traveling most teams would have to do. What does everyone here at WSI think?

Hangar18
03-17-2003, 03:27 PM
well, baseball does want to spread its gospel....
would be cool to see the Sox Playing in London !! Thats one trip I would take for sure....

czalgosz
03-17-2003, 03:33 PM
I would have to see how they schedule things before I expressed an opinion on things. If they did it like they have done in Central America or Japan, where they play a couple games at the start of the season, I would have no problems.

dllrbll7
03-17-2003, 03:47 PM
I think it would be a good thing to do acouple times for the hell of it. I dont believe that bull about too much traveling because they all have there private jets where they can walk around and sleep thus eliminating jet lag greatly. Also for the amount of money they are getting paid they shouldnt complain. Big executives at companies have to travel all around the world to make their millions but i dont hear them complaining that much because they know what they have to do to make their millions.

StepsInSC
03-17-2003, 06:12 PM
I like it. Baseball is the greatest sport in the world and everyone should be exposed to it.

TheBigHurt
03-17-2003, 07:36 PM
as long as each team has a max of 3 games played out of the us a year then its good (not counting canada)

sox_fan_forever
03-17-2003, 08:35 PM
I don't think I would mind if it's just a few games a year.

Procol Harum
03-17-2003, 08:41 PM
They've tried this before (for example, the White Sox/NY Giant tour before WWI) and Europe didn't exactly gobble it up. I don't know if tmost Europeans could deal with a game where they couldn't ignore what was happening on the field and sing goofy songs....wait a second, that sounds an awful lot like a game at Wrigley Field :D:

doublem23
03-17-2003, 09:04 PM
Maybe they'll end up doing an American League and a European League, with no interleague and then have the two champs play for a real World's Series.

voodoochile
03-17-2003, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
They've tried this before (for example, the White Sox/NY Giant tour before WWI) and Europe didn't exactly gobble it up. I don't know if tmost Europeans could deal with a game where they couldn't ignore what was happening on the field and sing goofy songs....wait a second, that sounds an awful lot like a game at Wrigley Field :D:

Yeah, baseball is too slow for Europe. I voted that I was in favor of it because I think it would be good for the sport to get that kind of exposure, but I just don't see it being all that popular. Might even be a black eye for MLB if the games didn't sell out - which is a distinct possibility...

Bmr31
03-18-2003, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by dllrbll7
I think it would be a good thing to do acouple times for the hell of it. I dont believe that bull about too much traveling because they all have there private jets where they can walk around and sleep thus eliminating jet lag greatly. Also for the amount of money they are getting paid they shouldnt complain. Big executives at companies have to travel all around the world to make their millions but i dont hear them complaining that much because they know what they have to do to make their millions.

Guys i have heard about "jet lag" for years. I recently went on a trip to Europe. I had three seats, like most people do, on those flights. I can tell ya, in that situation, I had no jet lag AT ALL, either time. As far as I am concerned, it doesnt exist.

LondonSox
03-18-2003, 03:40 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Yeah, baseball is too slow for Europe.................... Might even be a black eye for MLB if the games didn't sell out - which is a distinct possibility...

too slow?....you obviously aren't aware of a game called cricket. thousand of englishmen go to watch that 'spectacle' :smile:

also the football in italy is incredibly slow, so maybe there is a market there too. :smile:

also i agree that it would have trouble selling out, however i wouldn't mind if the sox came to town.

hsnterprize
03-18-2003, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
They've tried this before (for example, the White Sox/NY Giant tour before WWI) and Europe didn't exactly gobble it up. I don't know if tmost Europeans could deal with a game where they couldn't ignore what was happening on the field and sing goofy songs....wait a second, that sounds an awful lot like a game at Wrigley Field :D:

I think maybe people in Europe would be more receptive to baseball today compared to before World War I. Remember...not too many people thought American football would catch on there, but the NFL annually plays pre-season games in Europe, and the NFL Europe League is drawing good fan support. Playing a few games there will draw some interest as long as Major League Baseball doesn't try to go too far too fast in promoting its game over there.

LondonSox
03-18-2003, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by hsnterprize
I think maybe people in Europe would be more receptive to baseball today compared to before World War I. Remember...not too many people thought American football would catch on there, but the NFL annually plays pre-season games in Europe, and the NFL Europe League is drawing good fan support. Playing a few games there will draw some interest as long as Major League Baseball doesn't try to go too far too fast in promoting its game over there.

the problem is that the TV coverage is very poor. the only available games have been very late on sunday and wenesday nights, the games would start at about 1am. not going to get many viewers that way. there is a new us sports channel showing games at a more reasonable hour however they are charging about $12 a month for this. again not going to entice people in who don't already have a passion for the game.

the NFL and NBA are very popular over here though which i feel is largely the result of a well established braodcaster showing games which finish before midnight. MLB would take off if the same broadcaster showed games.

FanOf14
03-18-2003, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by Bmr31
Guys i have heard about "jet lag" for years. I recently went on a trip to Europe. I had three seats, like most people do, on those flights. I can tell ya, in that situation, I had no jet lag AT ALL, either time. As far as I am concerned, it doesnt exist.

My uncle goes to Ireland just about every year (for 30 years now), and he gets jet lag almost every time, so yes BMR, it does exist for some. I have wondered why some get jet lag and others do not.

doublem23
03-18-2003, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Bmr31
Guys i have heard about "jet lag" for years. I recently went on a trip to Europe. I had three seats, like most people do, on those flights. I can tell ya, in that situation, I had no jet lag AT ALL, either time. As far as I am concerned, it doesnt exist.

What would all those "doctors" and "scientists" know anyways?

Procol Harum
03-18-2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Bmr31
Guys i have heard about "jet lag" for years. I recently went on a trip to Europe. I had three seats, like most people do, on those flights. I can tell ya, in that situation, I had no jet lag AT ALL, either time. As far as I am concerned, it doesnt exist.

I wasn't exactly skeptical about jet lag, but figured I would probably be able to get around any problems. Wrong-o! Every time going to Europe my body clock gets utterly discombobulated--arriving dead tired and slogging through to 9-10 at night to get back to a semblance of normal by the next day. The weirdest thing is waking up at 3 in the morning ravenously hungry!

By the by, I go to the UK about twice a year and in most instances don't even have the luxury of an open seat on either side. And for those of us who have trouble sleeping on planes...

Bmr31
03-18-2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
What would all those "doctors" and "scientists" know anyways?

If you read my post again, youll see i was talking about MY experience.

ewokpelts
03-18-2003, 11:17 AM
Hey,

While baseball may not be as popular as Soccer or basketball in Europe, it is gaining momentum. During the offseason, Mike Piazza traveled with MLB officials and had skills clinics with local youth teams, often with large crowds(which explains why he was wearing a mets uniform when he had a picture taken @ the Leaning Tower of Pisa in Sports Weekly). Baseball may not be big enough to have it's own league in Europe yet but I think if MLB had a couple of teams play a special series, a la Japan/Puerto Rico, interest might spike up. Who knows, MLB might also want to start up a minor league system out there. I'd love to be the minor leaguer who "has to" play in Europe for a summer.
Gene

voodoochile
03-18-2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
I wasn't exactly skeptical about jet lag, but figured I would probably be able to get around any problems. Wrong-o! Every time going to Europe my body clock gets utterly discombobulated--arriving dead tired and slogging through to 9-10 at night to get back to a semblance of normal by the next day. The weirdest thing is waking up at 3 in the morning ravenously hungry!

By the by, I go to the UK about twice a year and in most instances don't even have the luxury of an open seat on either side. And for those of us who have trouble sleeping on planes...

My understanding is that flying on the Concorde reduces jetlag, so a team might be able to reduce the problems if they flew on one of them, but that would be pricey, so count Uncle Jerry out...

uksoxfan
03-18-2003, 01:17 PM
Playing over here would save me a few 's. :D:

TheBigHurt
03-18-2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by uksoxfan
Playing over here would save me a few 's. :D: im guessing 's is money

Daver
03-18-2003, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by TheBigHurt
im guessing 's is money

That is the symbol for the British pound,which is their equivelent of $.

WhiteSoxWinner
03-19-2003, 12:21 AM
The one thing no one has mentioned is that the US is NOT real popular right now in Europe, so it probably is not the best time to announce we want bring the Great American Passtime to the Old World. I am not saying that this wouldn't be a good thing is the future, but Bud's timing for announcing this is horrible. What could I expect though from the same guy who also announced contraction right after a great World Series two years ago?

I know it takes time to prepare things, but Bud should wait another year to make sure things settle down over there and relations get better.

jortafan
03-19-2003, 10:15 AM
Would somebody please explain something to me.

How can Bud, or anyone with Major League Baseball, seriously think about playing games in European countries, while also saying it's too dangerous to travel to Japan to play games?

While I happen to be of the belief that Bud and crew over-reacted in cancelling the Japan opening (you may disagree), I think this is really a matter of our beloved commissioner not thinking things through.

In short, I see this as another piece of evidence that we have a boob for baseball commissioner who desperately needs to be replaced.

Now that I've got that mini-rant out of my system, I'll go back in the corner and behave myself.

SouthSideHitman
03-19-2003, 07:42 PM
They are talking about summer '04 for Europe, when we would hypothetically not be at war, which is surely not the case now.

I think that it would be a great idea, but we should wait until America is a little more well-liked. I mean Europe NEEDS baseball.

Besides, its not fair that they can come over here and watch soccer, but we can't go over there to watch, by all measures, the best sport around.