PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else Miss old Comiskey?

Hangar18
03-17-2003, 01:42 PM
I got to thinking about this in another thread. The more I see these awesome stadiums being built, with an eye towards nostalgia, I cant help but miss the old place. More and more as time goes by especially. Now before people start trashing the place saying it was a dump, smelled like stale coca-cola and beer, I still miss the place just the same. New comiskey is comfortable, but thats it. Its Cold, Sterile, and Antiseptic. they cant even get enough people to work the beer lines. I miss the old place, yeah, it had its time and it was a dump....
BUT IT WAS OUR DUMP.

thecell
03-17-2003, 02:06 PM
I actually thought about the old ballyard while I was taking a leak at a bar...I was going in a trough and remembered the old bathrooms. What a great place.

Medford Bobby
03-17-2003, 02:37 PM
Yea, As time goes by you wonder what sort of shape it would have been today. Would have like to see them move the Sox closer to downtown and let either the city or MLB buy Old Comiskey and make it a museum. Either restore the park to it's 1910 configuratuin and gey donatons thru charity events to restore it.....could have been a great way to save it. I miss the smell of stoogies throughout the crowd............Cold Opening days always meant that finally a new season is here.............

:reinsy " One more coat of paint on that old place and it would have come down!"

Blueprint1
03-17-2003, 03:04 PM
Umm comiskey isnt very far from downtown right now. Its alot closer than the field on the north side.

duke of dorwood
03-17-2003, 03:19 PM
Cold , Sterile and Antiseptic?

SI1020
03-17-2003, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I got to thinking about this in another thread. The more I see these awesome stadiums being built, with an eye towards nostalgia, I cant help but miss the old place. More and more as time goes by especially. Now before people start trashing the place saying it was a dump, smelled like stale coca-cola and beer, I still miss the place just the same. New comiskey is comfortable, but thats it. Its Cold, Sterile, and Antiseptic. they cant even get enough people to work the beer lines. I miss the old place, yeah, it had its time and it was a dump....
BUT IT WAS OUR DUMP. Of course I miss it. I've spent a lot of time at retrosheet.org trying to see if I've remembered correctly games I attended way back in the day. I think you may be a little too hard on the new Comiskey or the "Cell". Places like Three Rivers and Riverfront were really cold and sterile. Reinsdorf's palace is an intermediate stop between the above mentioned and the newer retro parks IMO.

Juan Pizarro
03-17-2003, 05:25 PM
Hell, yeah, I miss it.
I miss its arched windows, its gentle ramps, the upper deck so close to the field, the churros down the left field line (I know they've got 'em now, but you don't have to hunt down the cart), the piled corned beef in the third base deli, the Picnic Area, the Sox Supporters, the "Future Sox Stars" spot in the bathrooms.
I miss McCuddy's, Babe's bat over the back bar, the beer garden open, the beer barrel benches, the three choices of mustard (straight, with onions, with relish).
I miss the Sox-O-Gram, the kiddie art, the real Bard's Room and the easier to sneak into Golden Boxes. (Remember the Seating Chart Nazi usher behind the Sox on deck circle? Don't try the Anthem sneak in his area.) I miss Nancy Faust playing in the home half of the inning.

Hangar18
03-17-2003, 05:39 PM
i miss the way your shoes would stick to the concrete because of the spilled soda...... I miss the smell of hot dogs, popcorn, coca-cola, beer and Cigars. Alone, they all have their distinct smells.
But TOGETHER, I call that smell Baseball at old comiskey

FanOf14
03-17-2003, 05:50 PM
I miss that too Hangar. The thing I miss the most is being underneath the scoreboard when one of our guys hit a homer. That happened once when my aunt was walking us (me and my brother and sister around the park showing us everything and telling us stories about the park, the team and my grampa taking my aunts to the game). I miss seeing the park that first second when on the top of the stairs coming into the stadium - we always came in by the shoe-shine stand. I miss the hot dog to start the game out and the cotton candy to finish it - somehow they don't taste as good as they did back then.

I guess the thing I miss the most is being the wide-eyed kid believing that the Sox were the best team on earth even if they ended up well below 0.500 for the year. I also miss opening a pack of baseball cards (my mom would buy my brother and myself a pack a week and back then they were $1 a pack, I think) and finding a Sox player in the pack - of course that card had to come with me to the next game I went to, none of them ever did get signed though.

Joel Perez
03-17-2003, 08:07 PM
Heck yeah.

I used to live at 26th and Wallace, so I was just a few blocks away when I was young.

I've been to both ballparks now, and by far, my favorite is, and will always be, Old Comiskey.

HITMEN OF 77
03-17-2003, 09:02 PM
If you don't miss Old Comiskey, your not a Sox fan in my mind, unless you never made it there. How could you not love the smell? Wasn't Old Comiskey called "the largest outdoor party in the world" or something to that sorts? New is nice, but the Old had the beauty!

guillen4life13
03-17-2003, 09:43 PM
I never did experience the old comiskey experience, but there's one thing I have to say regarding this (no offense to any of you if you even take offense): I think the old comiskey to you is the new comiskey to me. What I mean is that you just have memories that in hindsight, just seem so much better and more carefree and fun, etc., and in comparison to the experiences you have now, it doesn't measure up. I just think it's more of a thing where, that's the place you went to as a kid, and that's where you had your first experiences with live White Sox baseball. Nothing ever measures up to the first experience/childhood experiences. I'm sure that 40 years from now, I will look at this park and think of the same things you guys think of Old Comiskey now. Hell, if the cell actually get demolished during my lifetime, I'll probably echo the same sentiments you're echoing about the old park. Childhood memories always seem better in hindsight, compared to what you have at any given time.

dllrbll7
03-17-2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
I never did experience the old comiskey experience, but there's one thing I have to say regarding this (no offense to any of you if you even take offense): I think the old comiskey to you is the new comiskey to me. What I mean is that you just have memories that in hindsight, just seem so much better and more carefree and fun, etc., and in comparison to the experiences you have now, it doesn't measure up. I just think it's more of a thing where, that's the place you went to as a kid, and that's where you had your first experiences with live White Sox baseball. Nothing ever measures up to the first experience/childhood experiences. I'm sure that 40 years from now, I will look at this park and think of the same things you guys think of Old Comiskey now. Hell, if the cell actually get demolished during my lifetime, I'll probably echo the same sentiments you're echoing about the old park. Childhood memories always seem better in hindsight, compared to what you have at any given time.

I agree with you but i did get to go to old comiskey and it was a good experience. I dont believe new comiskey is the best ballpark ever but man have i had aton of memories inside and out of the stadium. I look around the park and can point out where I was when they clinched in 1993, came back in from clinching in 2000, Carlos lees grandslam against the cubs, the first playoff game ever, cal eldreds return from surgery, the monday night versus cleveland after the roadtrip in 2000, the place where i tailgated under the sox flag for all these games, and the list goes on and on and will keep getting better. I am all for improvements but I love the Cell nomatter what the name is or what changes are made just because the sox play there and thats probably the same reason you all love Old Comiskey soo much.

soxnut
03-18-2003, 12:49 AM
I miss the arched windows, the shape of the park from an aerial view, the old monster scoreboard, the lower upper deck and the green seats. But after being in the new park, Old Comiskey was a dump, and I don't care for dumps. I couldn't imagine the Sox playing in there in this era. I prefer the new park, and I'll like it alot better after all of the remodeling is done. :smile:

soxnut
03-18-2003, 12:58 AM
Also, guillen4life13..I think youhave some very valid points.

On another note, I just realized that I have almost as many years going to the new park as I did with the old park....... 15yrs in the old, 13yrs in the new. :?:

Blueprint1
03-18-2003, 08:43 AM
Thanks for your infor on how someone is a sox fan. Its not that I dont miss old Comiskey I just think its time to get over it. Its not coming back neather is the Old Chicago stadium. Its great to look back but all of the old parks are gone now. Wrigley and Fenway are the only two left. Yankees stadium is still there but its been so redone its nothing like the original stadium heck the old outfiled is where the monuments stand right now. I just think we should move on.

ode to veeck
03-18-2003, 02:31 PM
Umm comiskey isnt very far from downtown right now. Its alot closer than the field on the north side.

let's see, wrigley is 3600N, 1000W and comiskey is 3500S and ~300 W---not really a lot closer as the crow flies

I used to like the the old El configuration though, where it was one stop and only a couple of minutes from downtown to 35 street on the dan ryan line vs many stops and much longer time from downtown on the howard A train to addison and wrigley

i sure miss the old comiskey as well, and realize it ain't coming back--another resentment I think I'll always hold against JR--I think he always hated the place, whereas in contrast, the cubune co. has successfully marketed 'the friendly confines' BS into a lot more fans--JR missed the opportunity and actually lost a fair number of fans with the new park-even though the new park has both pluses and minuses