PDA

View Full Version : Hot Start Should Carry Pale Hose

Mammoo
03-16-2003, 01:44 PM
I'd like to see the Sox with 17 wins by the end of April. I think that would set the stage for a very interesting summer. :D:

Juan Pizarro
03-17-2003, 10:23 AM
This is the kind of thing you think but don't say. Beware the hex!

ma-gaga
03-17-2003, 10:35 AM
Taking a look at the schedules, I came up with the following 'magaga rule o'thumb':

This season at July 1st if...
The Sox are 9 games up on the Twins, Sox advantage
The Sox are 4.5 games up on the Twins, Even
The Sox are 0 games up on the Twins, Twins advantage

Real scientific here. The Twins have a cakewalk schedule in July and August, I think they have something like 6 weeks against the dregs of the AL Central and AL East. As long as they don't panic and dump salary, they should be able to make up 5 games easily on the Sox when they get their dose of the powerhouse AL West.

34 Inch Stick
03-17-2003, 11:00 AM
The first month of the season tells the whole story for the Sox. If they do not have a GREAT start they do not win the division. Even if they play well they may not win it. I think anything under 18-9 and we are looking at trouble. A heavy burden but one that is necessary given the level of competition.

If you have not bought a ticket package yet, wait until May 1. You will still get All Star and playoff tickets but you eliminate the risk of a bad season.

Blueprint1
03-17-2003, 11:27 AM
the one thing i noticed last year with their start was that they were unable to sweep any series. If this is a new team I think thats one thing they will have to be able to do is take all three games from a team likes Detroit or Kansas City. This will be alot easier now given the fact that they have two great starters. It was hard last year having to have the bullpin out there every single game.

czalgosz
03-17-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
I think anything under 18-9 and we are looking at trouble.

That's quite a high standard. The Sox will be playing the weak sisters of the AL central quite a bit to start the season, so anything less than a hot start will be a disappointment, but I don't think it will be necessary to compete.

The White Sox are competing against one team right now - the Twins. Everything else is irrelevant until October. I don't see the Twins just up and running away with the division, so unless the Sox just fall flat on their faces out of the gate, it will be interesting.

Bmr31
03-17-2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
That's quite a high standard. The Sox will be playing the weak sisters of the AL central quite a bit to start the season, so anything less than a hot start will be a disappointment, but I don't think it will be necessary to compete.

The White Sox are competing against one team right now - the Twins. Everything else is irrelevant until October. I don't see the Twins just up and running away with the division, so unless the Sox just fall flat on their faces out of the gate, it will be interesting.

This thread is absolutely ridiculous. Anyone who has been watching baseball, or sports for that matter, knows that anyone can win a game or series, at any given time. The schedule evens out. There is no guarantee that the sox are going to win or lose the season series against ANY team.

SoxxoS
03-17-2003, 12:11 PM
Very true Bmr.

Also, speaking of the A.L. central sisters-The Sox or anyone for that matter, should NOT take Cleveland lightly. They have a boatload of talent over there, and shouldn't be overlooked at any time. They don't have the pitching, and they just have talent at the field positions to make a run. They probably won't win 75 games. However, they are a team that could sweep you if you overlook them. Just a little tidbit I would like to throw out there.

Brian26
03-17-2003, 12:18 PM
Agree with BMR. Kind of a dumb comment. If the Sox get off to a hot start, of course it will put them in a good position for the rest of the season. The schedule does even out, but there's something about "psychological momentum". It's easier to coast in to a division title with an early lead than trying to catch someone after you're 15 games back. If you're behind early, you've already suffered defeats and there are question marks looming about your talent and heart (ie 2001 Sox).

Mammoo
03-17-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31
This thread is absolutely ridiculous.

What's so ridiculous about it, Mr. Man???

The Sox had better get off to a good start and they had better play the Twins more competitively.

Accomplishing these two things would go a long way to positioning them for a division title.

czalgosz
03-17-2003, 03:46 PM
BMR never explains anything; it's pointless to ask.

34 Inch Stick
03-17-2003, 03:48 PM
Yes BMR the schedule does even out. That is why this thread is completely valid. The Twins will play these same weak sisters later in the year and be able to make up ground (like September where the Sox have 15 out of 25 games against Minnesota, Boston and New York).

Without looking at any schedule, if I were to ask you who we must absolutely beat in the season series, I assume you would say KC, CLE and DET. Now looking at the schedule, 19 of the 27 games in April are against those three teams (as well as three against Baltimore).

Play .500 ball in April. Then start off May with a west coast swing (which is always bad news for the Sox) and Minnesota. As the Sox battle to get back to .500 to end May then you get three weeks of SF, Bos, Minn and the Cubs (I know but the Sox usually do not sweep). So now you are around .500 on July 1 which, statistically is an indicator of no division championship.

Maybe you think they can play average baseball early on and turn it on later in the year against the better teams. We lived through that in 2001 and never got the payoff.

Give me 18-9 or give me death.

FanOf14
03-17-2003, 04:08 PM
It's not just a hot start that the Sox need. It's a hot start and then consistant ball the rest of the season (consistantly good preferred). Last year they had a really good start and then tripped over themselves for the next few months. I guess what I am saying is that a hot start is the beginning of what they need to do.

GO SOX!!!! (need to get in practice before the season starts!)

Foulke You
03-17-2003, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by FanOf14
It's not just a hot start that the Sox need. It's a hot start and then consistant ball the rest of the season (consistantly good preferred). Last year they had a really good start and then tripped over themselves for the next few months. I guess what I am saying is that a hot start is the beginning of what they need to do.

Agreed. The Sox got off to a pretty decent start last year. We were in first place through much of April and parts of May. At the end of May we went into a swoon that didn't recover until early September. A hot start is important but consistency through the season is more so.

kingpin_rcs
03-17-2003, 07:18 PM
A hot start is nice but not required. The Angels started off horrible last year (something like 4-14) and they managed to win the wild card (and of course went on to win the WS). Considering the tough division they play in it shows that a bad start can be overcome.

Still, if the Sox can't post a winning record in April with the schedule they have then I think we should worry.

BKozi
03-17-2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by FanOf14

I completely agree but I don't think that consistency is going to be the problem it has been in the past. Last year we had Buehrle as the only guy on our roster that could consistently break a losing streak. The problem was that Ritchie would then just start a new one. This year we have Buehrle and Colon at the top of the rotation and at least two other pitchers who may not be spectacular but will be above average. Personally, I think that Garland and Wright are going to have great seasons and I'm excited to see if Loaiza can take this ST momentum into the season. These guys will be able to prevent the extended losing streaks and stretches of going 3-7 that have plagued us in the past. This rotation kind of reminds me of the '93 rotation of McDowell, Fernandez, Alvarez, and Bere. Now we just need to bring back Bo Jackson and Ivan Calderon!

Bmr31
03-17-2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
BMR never explains anything; it's pointless to ask.

Hmm people agree with me a lot, so i dunno. I explain things SOMETIMES, lol.