PDA

View Full Version : AL Central Top Prospects

michigan84
03-14-2003, 07:37 PM
Sox have 3!

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20030314&content_id=220514&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp

1. Joe Mauer, C, Twins (23)

The No. 1 pick in the 2001 draft is the only player mentioned on every ballot. That shouldn't be surprising, considering he done nothing but hit since becoming a pro. Not yet 20, he'll take on the challenge of being a very young regular catcher in Double-A this year.

2. Victor Martinez, C, Indians (17)

While more people may like Mauer in the long run, Martinez is right behind him, and he's closer to making it to the big leagues. He's currently battling with Josh Bard for the No. 1 big league job, although the Indians wouldn't mind it if he spent a little time in Triple-A first. Either way, he'll end up in Cleveland at some point this year and will stay there for a long time.

3. Joe Borchard, OF, White Sox (13)

Borchard has excellent power potential, but he's still learning the nuances of the game. A college quarterback, he hasn't been playing baseball full-time for that long. Still, he's very close to being ready for the bigs and may have made the team with a super-hot spring. He'll likely refine his skills in Triple-A, but should get the call for good sometime this season.

3. Miguel Olivo, C, White Sox (13)

Olivo's got a shot at a big league job, despite the fact he hasn't played above Double-A yet. The kind of catcher who will shut down opponents' running games, Olivo is certainly ready defensively. He took a huge step forward with his bat last year, and has great speed for a catcher (29 steals in 2002). Expect some offensive bumps this year if he sticks with the Sox, but he's got an excellent mentor in Sandy Alomar Jr.

5. Jeremy Bonderman, RHP, Tigers (12)

Is it crazy to even consider having Bonderman make the jump from A-ball to the big leagues? Maybe, but the 20-year-old who came to Detroit in the Jeff Weaver deal has given up one run and struck out 11 (with one walk) in nine Spring Training innings. If the Tigers decide to be cautious, Bonderman will begin the season at Double-A, but it's only a matter of when, not if, he'll make it to Comerica Park this season.

6. Franklyn German, RHP, Tigers (10)

If it wasn't for that Jeff Weaver trade, the Tigers system wouldn't have hit the top 10. German is the epitome of intimidating, a giant of a man who throws extremely hard, yet has exhibited pretty good command. He'll be the Tigers' closer sooner rather than later, even if he has to set up Matt Anderson for the time being.

6. Brandon Phillips, SS/2B, Indians (10)

The Indians stocked their minor league system with the various trades they've made the past two seasons, and Phillips is at the top of the list of prospects they've obtained. The main prize in the Bartolo Colon deal, Phillips has slid over to second base (because of Omar Vizquel) fairly seamlessly. He's battling John McDonald for the starting job and has made his case by hitting .323 with three steals (though McDonald was at .412).

8. Travis Hafner, 1B, Indians (9)

The Indians got the sweet-swinging Hafner from Texas in the Einar Diaz trade this offseason. He hit .342 in the PCL last year and led that league in on-base percentage. He's locked in a battle for the Tribe's first base job with Ben Broussard, and both young hitters have been lighting it up this spring.

8. Cliff Lee, LHP, Indians (9)

Another prospect the Indians got from the Expos in the Colon deal, Lee kept hitters under .200 in the minors last year, then was impressive in a two-start debut with Cleveland last September. One of many talented lefties in the organization, Lee is just now coming back from a strained oblique muscle. He'll spend a little time in extended Spring Training to catch up, but expect to see him in Cleveland by the second half of the season.

8. Jon Rauch, RHP, White Sox (9)

Rauch's name has been on the prospect horizon for a long time, but every time he's seemed about ready to break through, he has a setback. He's been battling for the fifth spot in the White Sox rotation, but has allowed 14 hits, six walks and eight runs in 11.1 innings. The 6-11 righty has tremendous stuff; it's just a question of harnessing it.

8. Corey Smith, 3B, Indians (9)

The Indians' first-round pick in 2000 did some nice things in the Carolina League last year, hitting 13 homers and driving in 67 runs in a pitching-friendly league. He was fourth in the league in walks, but also posted his second straight 140-K season. He'll continue to work on his plate discipline in Double-A this year.

Where is KC?

ScottyTheSoxFan
03-14-2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by michigan84
Where is KC?

In Missouri. :)

hempsox
03-14-2003, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by michigan84
Where is KC?

I would say Wal-Mart but they are definitely K-Mart yea definitely.

dougs78
03-15-2003, 10:27 PM
This was actually an interesting little poll. I particularly like the 4 pitchers of ours that recieved mention at the bottom. Honel, Wing, Malone and Munoz.

Not that these opinions matter that much, but its disappointing not to see our first round pick from last year on there. I think you'd like to hope that a 22 year old college closer might be able to be considered a top prospect at this point.

MarkEdward
03-15-2003, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by dougs78

Not that these opinions matter that much, but its disappointing not to see our first round pick from last year on there. I think you'd like to hope that a 22 year old college closer might be able to be considered a top prospect at this point.

Was that last sentence supposed to be in teal?

RichH55
03-16-2003, 02:25 AM
Everyone who seems to be a prospect for KC is either in their rotation, got the same name as two basketball players, or on some other team who is waiting to get Beltran

34 Inch Stick
03-17-2003, 10:44 AM
Good to see the wealth of catchers in the division. The Cetral may be the center for a catcher renaissance.

dougs78
03-17-2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Was that last sentence supposed to be in teal?

I was actually making the point that since drafting a college closer is atypical, I would hope we did that because that player was an exception and thus very good at his job. But not seeing him on a list yet makes me feel otherwise. Basically, that type of player seems like one that should either show up immediately or never show up.

MarkEdward
03-17-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by dougs78
I was actually making the point that since drafting a college closer is atypical, I would hope we did that because that player was an exception and thus very good at his job. But not seeing him on a list yet makes me feel otherwise. Basically, that type of player seems like one that should either show up immediately or never show up.

Well, minor league closers tend to be overrated, so I can see why he's not on any "top prospect" lists. Ring wasn't very dominant in Winston-Salem this year, and he'll need to have a great year in Birmingham to be considered a good prospect.

As to why the Sox drafted him, I'd guess that the Sox thought he was the best, signable player out there. Key word: signable.