PDA

View Full Version : Mike Caruso

cwsgrl17
03-14-2003, 03:46 PM
Does anyone know where Mike Caruso is? What team...minor or major leagues? And does anyone know if he was invited to spring training?

Thanks!

If you are wondering...he is my favorite player...I know don't say it

czalgosz
03-14-2003, 03:48 PM
He was on KC last year... I don't know what he's doing now.

Unregistered
03-14-2003, 03:54 PM
Aren't the sox putting bathroom attendants on the Club level this season? He'd be a great addition to the Sox "team".

thecell
03-14-2003, 04:02 PM
According to ESPN he's still in the KC organzation.

Juan Pizarro
03-14-2003, 04:17 PM
As bad as he was, I'll always love Slappy for that Wrigley homer to beat the Scrubs.

Blueprint1
03-14-2003, 04:19 PM
I think the Sox rushed this kid. I remember they really put pressure on him after his first season. JM can be a real jerk sometimes I think.

Daver
03-14-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Blueprint1
I think the Sox rushed this kid. I remember they really put pressure on him after his first season. JM can be a real jerk sometimes I think.

JM is NOT responsible for rushing Caruso,the blame for that can be laid squarely on the back of Ron Schueler,who felt that he had to show some type of justification for the WF trade.

jeremyb1
03-14-2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by daver
JM is NOT responsible for rushing Caruso,the blame for that can be laid squarely on the back of Ron Schueler,who felt that he had to show some type of justification for the WF trade.

obviously its easy to say that with 20/20 hindsight but you would've been hardpressed to find anyone willing to make that comment after caruso finished third in the rookie of the year balloting that season.

i think considering the fact that he hadn't played above a ball, yeah we probably did rush him. it was his plate discipline that killed him. he could've improved upon that with more time in the minors but considering how long he's been in the minors since we cut him, it seems like he should've improved by now if he really had such a great set of skills.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-14-2003, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Juan Pizarro
As bad as he was, I'll always love Slappy for that Wrigley homer to beat the Scrubs.

Ah, yes. The Glorious Sweep of 1999. I remember it like it was yesterday! (Thanks to WSI)

The Glorious Sweep! (http://whitesoxinteractive.com/BeattheCubs/GloriousSweep.htm)

:gulp:

Champ Summers
03-14-2003, 07:14 PM
It always seemed strange to me that despite his poor plate discipline, he hit above .300 his rookie year. That was a hell of an accomplishment for someone who hadn't played above A ball. To give you an example, I believe Albert Pujols is one of the few players to make that jump, only people who wow the hell out of an organization can do that. I understand Schueler was probably feeling pressured to justify the WFT, but he looked damn smart in my opinion in '98. I thought we had Ozzie Guillen part 2 on our hands, with perhaps a better stick. How many teams can boast that kind of production from that situation, at SS no less? I was thrown for a loop on that one...

Brian26
03-15-2003, 12:12 AM
Didn't Caruso come into camp in 2000 in just horrible shape? Like he sat on a couch all winter eating pizza and beer? There was some crazy stat like he couldn't hit the ball out of the infield all spring because he had no upper body strength.

doublem23
03-15-2003, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
There was some crazy stat like he couldn't hit the ball out of the infield all spring because he had no upper body strength.

He never hit the ball out of the infield anyways.

I really wish they hadn't rushed him... I think he could have been something decent.

Hangar18
03-15-2003, 01:54 AM
Caruso is still in the kc organization. However, Mike Caruso will drink FREE of CHARGE once I open my bar, because of the HOME RUN he hit, that cold sunday afternoon, to clinch the Series Sweep against the Cubs. Mike Caruso, if you should be reading this, get in touch with me, you now have Lifetime Carte Blanche my friend. see you soon. as for wsgrl, are you the one who was actually at that game in June 99 when they swept?? Werent you also on the cover of the newspaper with ME ????

soxtalker
03-15-2003, 07:44 AM
Ventura's departure also didn't help matters. It probably would have helped Mike a lot to have someone like Robin to mentor him.

thecell
03-15-2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Caruso is still in the kc organization. However, Mike Caruso will drink FREE of CHARGE once I open my bar, because of the HOME RUN he hit, that cold sunday afternoon, to clinch the Series Sweep against the Cubs. Mike Caruso, if you should be reading this, get in touch with me, you now have Lifetime Carte Blanche my friend. see you soon. as for wsgrl, are you the one who was actually at that game in June 99 when they swept?? Werent you also on the cover of the newspaper with ME ????

So where's the bar gonna be? I think WSI members should get some free booze as well! MMM...beer :gulp:

Hangar18
03-15-2003, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by thecell
So where's the bar gonna be? I think WSI members should get some free booze as well! MMM...beer :gulp:

Im sure I can work something out like that eh WSI? cant say much about it right now....have to wait 12 months.....except that it will be on the south side somewhere.....stay tuned

Paulwny
03-15-2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1

considering how long he's been in the minors since we cut him, it seems like he should've improved by now if he really had such a great set of skills.

Agree, also 1st year ba numbers can be misleading. Pitchers adjust and discuss with other pitchers if they've had success with certain hitters. This often leads to the "sophmore jinx". It's up to the batter to readjust, someting Caruso is incapable of doing.

ScottyTheSoxFan
03-15-2003, 01:31 PM
look at it like this, if caruso hadnt of sucked, we would have never traded the bum navarro for jose valentin.

RichH55
03-16-2003, 02:40 AM
He did hit .300, but that only made him a member of the Chris Singleton Club...Basically you hit .300 but you make it the most empty 300 you can. Rey Sanchez and AJ Piernski are proud members as well. I still don't understand what the big fuss is about.
Yes we rushed him, perhaps even ruined him. But the guy had some flat-out glaring holes in his game: He didn't walk and he didn't hit for power, and he wasn't a particularly great stolen base threat either, at least then people would think he was worth something due to fantasy sports....but honestly the guy would have to hit over .400 every year to have an OPS over 800.....ridicolous and even with the proper tutleage what is he? THe poor man's Adam Kennedy?

I don't think that is worth waiting for........Caruso is filed forever under my Jeff Abbott file....Much ado about nothing

ScottyTheSoxFan
03-16-2003, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by RichH55
I don't think that is worth waiting for........Caruso is filed forever under my Jeff Abbott file....Much ado about nothing

how does abbott get naming rights over the likes of mccay christenson and robert machado. :smile:

PaleHoseGeorge
03-16-2003, 08:43 AM
He did hit .300, but that only made him a member of the Chris Singleton Club...Basically you hit .300 but you make it the most empty 300 you can. Rey Sanchez and AJ Piernski are proud members as well. I still don't understand what the big fuss is about.
Yes we rushed him, perhaps even ruined him. But the guy had some flat-out glaring holes in his game: He didn't walk and he didn't hit for power, and he wasn't a particularly great stolen base threat either, at least then people would think he was worth something due to fantasy sports....but honestly the guy would have to hit over .400 every year to have an OPS over 800.....ridicolous and even with the proper tutleage what is he? THe poor man's Adam Kennedy?

Congratulations. I would rate this the most complete and thorough dissection of Slappy's major league career I've read yet.

Good work, you!

:)

gosox41
03-16-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Champ Summers
It always seemed strange to me that despite his poor plate discipline, he hit above .300 his rookie year. That was a hell of an accomplishment for someone who hadn't played above A ball. To give you an example, I believe Albert Pujols is one of the few players to make that jump, only people who wow the hell out of an organization can do that. I understand Schueler was probably feeling pressured to justify the WFT, but he looked damn smart in my opinion in '98. I thought we had Ozzie Guillen part 2 on our hands, with perhaps a better stick. How many teams can boast that kind of production from that situation, at SS no less? I was thrown for a loop on that one...

I always thought Mikey swung like a sissy. He looked like a four year old trying to swing a 32 OZ bat. I think JM was pissed about him becuase after his great first season the Sox put him on a weight program to gain muscle during the offseason and he did nothing!!

As for his hitting, I remeber during the year he hit .300 that he had a ton of 'hits' that were just slow squibblers down the third base line that he beat out with his speed. I also remember that the next season the defense of other teams made adjustments and Mike didn't adjust back.

Bob

RichH55
03-16-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan
how does abbott get naming rights over the likes of mccay christenson and robert machado. :smile:

Both good choices.....I don't remember people being that worked up about Machado. I always like Mckay, thought at worst he would be a good 4th OF(good speed and defense)...If you are Mckay the fact that Dave Roberts and Juan Pierre both have jobs has to piss you off. But I always remembers Jeff Abbott and people saying good things and me thinking "What?" and not really needing to be more detailed than that

PaleHoseGeorge
03-16-2003, 01:00 PM
Both good choices.....I don't remember people being that worked up about Machado. I always like Mckay, thought at worst he would be a good 4th OF(good speed and defense)...If you are Mckay the fact that Dave Roberts and Juan Pierre both have jobs has to piss you off. But I always remembers Jeff Abbott and people saying good things and me thinking "What?" and not really needing to be more detailed than that

I agree. Abbott hit that 2-run walkoff dinger to beat the Twinkies in May, 2000. I believe that was when everybody understood that team was special. Did that make Jeff Abbott special, too? Not a chance.

You mentioned McKay Christensen, too. His former presence raises an interesting question. If we all agree Aaron Rowand is destined to be a #4 outfielder (at best) for our Sox, wouldn't McKay Christensen be more suitable for the role? He clearly is the superior defensive ballplayer, and isn't that the primary role the Sox need from their #4 outfielder. If we want offense, we've already got Maggs, Lee, and Borchard for the everyday lineup.

RichH55
03-16-2003, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
I agree. Abbott hit that 2-run walkoff dinger to beat the Twinkies in May, 2000. I believe that was when everybody understood that team was special. Did that make Jeff Abbott special, too? Not a chance.

You mentioned McKay Christensen, too. His former presence raises an interesting question. If we all agree Aaron Rowand is destined to be a #4 outfielder (at best) for our Sox, wouldn't McKay Christensen be more suitable for the role? He clearly is the superior defensive ballplayer, and isn't that the primary role the Sox need from their #4 outfielder. If we want offense, we've already got Maggs, Lee, and Borchard for the everyday lineup.

I was pushing Mckay for #4 OF for awhile, You get to do all the manager-esque stuff with him. And he seems like a guy who knows his place, something Singleton never got, and something that will remain to be seen about Rowand

maurice
03-17-2003, 10:25 AM
McKay Christensen = Willie Harris + defense

Aside from rushing Slappy, I wish the Sox would have focused on improving his defense and plate discipline, rather than his HR total. I don't care about my leadoff hitter's SLG.

steff
03-17-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by daver

Personally.. and knowing Mike personally I feel confident in making these statements... Mike rushed Mike and screwed things up for himself, himself. Bluntly put, he couldn't handle the pressure. He was high 99.9% of the time. Was out drinking everynight (he had a stool and they yelled "Mike" (ala "Norm" from Cheers) when he walked into the Hunt Club) and simply did not take care of his body. He was screwing everything that walked and had a pregnancy scare THREE times with the same girl (who was trying to trap him). His family down in Florida was beating him up over screwing things up and it all sort of snowballed from there. I haven't talked to him since May of last year, but I doubt things have changed and I dount he'll be "back".

steff
03-17-2003, 01:00 PM
Im sure I can work something out like that eh WSI? cant say much about it right now....have to wait 12 months.....except that it will be on the south side somewhere.....stay tuned

Free lifetime Cosmo's for me, right Hangar?? :D:

Hangar18
03-17-2003, 01:02 PM
Cosmos for Steffie, of course dear!!! Jim has to buy his MGD's though heh heh.

gosox41
03-17-2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by steff3603
Personally.. and knowing Mike personally I feel confident in making these statements... Mike rushed Mike and screwed things up for himself, himself. Bluntly put, he couldn't handle the pressure. He was high 99.9% of the time. Was out drinking everynight (he had a stool and they yelled "Mike" (ala "Norm" from Cheers) when he walked into the Hunt Club) and simply did not take care of his body. He was screwing everything that walked and had a pregnancy scare THREE times with the same girl (who was trying to trap him). His family down in Florida was beating him up over screwing things up and it all sort of snowballed from there. I haven't talked to him since May of last year, but I doubt things have changed and I dount he'll be "back".

You think he would have learned something after the first pregnancy scare.

I did hear the rumor about his drinking. I don't know if it's true, but I heard when his close friend died he lost control of everything.

Bob

steff
03-18-2003, 07:39 AM
Cosmos for Steffie, of course dear!!! Jim has to buy his MGD's though heh heh.

Well then.. it's a good thing he drinks Lite :D:

cwsgrl17
04-06-2003, 03:29 PM
I just wanted to let you know that Caruso is not on the Royals. As far as I know he is teamless. So if anyone has any idea where he might be let me know.
Thanks again!

gosox41
04-07-2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by cwsgrl17
I just wanted to let you know that Caruso is not on the Royals. As far as I know he is teamless. So if anyone has any idea where he might be let me know.
Thanks again!

I know this is tasteless, but I'd check the Betty Ford Clinic.

Bob

doublem23
04-10-2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
I know this is tasteless, but I'd check the Betty Ford Clinic.

Bob

I don't think he made enough money to go there.

However, if you're really hellbent on finding Mike, Baseball America release all the Opening Day starting rosters for all MLB teams and their minor league affiliates...

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/features/angels03.html

Just replace "angels" with other names, like "whitesox," etc. and see if Mike still has a job somewhere. Doesn't include Indpenedent Leagues, however.

SuperGrover
04-15-2003, 01:56 PM

I can confirm this from a player who spent two sprint trainings with Caruso. The guy was stoned all of the time, including game days. That might explain some of his more dubious decisions he made on the field.

Whatever the case, you're not going to be successful as a ML SS with little arm strength, no power, and an inability to work the count. Caruso is basically Brian Hunter without the defensive ability.

voodoochile
04-15-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by SuperGrover
I can confirm this from a player who spent two sprint trainings with Caruso. The guy was stoned all of the time, including game days. That might explain some of his more dubious decisions he made on the field.

Whatever the case, you're not going to be successful as a ML SS with little arm strength, no power, and an inability to work the count. Caruso is basically Brian Hunter without the defensive ability.

Welcome aboard! :)

This isn't the first time that "slappy" has been linked to pot smoking. I guess it is now official...

steff
04-15-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by SuperGrover

*sigh..* No one ever believes me.. :?:

voodoochile
04-15-2003, 04:54 PM
*sigh..* No one ever believes me.. :?:

No, we believe you and it is nice to have the inside info you share with us because of your Sox contacts. Someone else confirming your info just makes it stronger...

ChiWhiteSox1337
04-15-2003, 05:27 PM
even though he is not in the sox organazation in real life, in world series baseball 2k3 he is in the minors with the white sox. sort of weird since he hasn't been with the sox in a few years

Whitesox029
04-19-2003, 08:52 PM
I don't know where Caruso is right now, but I guess I'd have to go with the guys who say he's with KC. I do know though that there's one of those head-cut-out-take-your-picture-in-mid-double-play-form plywood thingies of him on the ramp at one of the exits off the main concourse...it's near section 120....