PDA

View Full Version : rogers on twins signing of rogers

jeremyb1
03-14-2003, 12:35 AM
phil rogers has a column focusing on the twins' signing of rogers, the struggles of the sox middle relief corps in the spring thus far, and kw's budget amongst other things. http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-030313rogers,1,5242055.column?coll=cs%2Dhome%2Dhea dlines

some interesting issues that occured to me in light of the column. in theory the sox would have been able to offer rogers two million if not for the contracts given to rios and white, two players who now seem relatively unimportant to the team's success in light of the daubach signing and performance of guys like ginter, munoz, sanders, and almonte this spring.

rogers also mentions the fact that farnsworth, felix rodriguez, juan acevedo, and paul shuey are all rumored to be available and could help the sox but most likely do not fit in the budget. it'd be wonderful to have someone like rodriguez in a sox uniform but i think white will be decent and glover will improve by the time the season comes around just as he did last season.

34 Inch Stick
03-14-2003, 11:01 AM
I do not put all that much stock into spring training performances for veteran players. Glover has shown on several occasions that he can be excellent when used out of the bullpen.

Yes, I would like to have seen Rogers in a White Sox uniform but his success is much more of a gamble than Glover and White. I think you are going to see the gambler give up a lot of runs this year (but he will probably have a decent W-L %).

Iwritecode
03-14-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
rogers also mentions the fact that farnsworth, felix rodriguez, juan acevedo, and paul shuey are all rumored to be available and could help the sox but most likely do not fit in the budget.

I know this subject has been brought up many times and has been basically beaten to death but this still angers me. :angry:

I mean c'mon... As a fan, you have to seriously question the Sox management's commitment to winning. The payroll is already lower that it was last year and the season ticket base (a big influence over total season attendance) is reportedly up 20% over last year. Taking all this into account, we still hear about how certain players are "out of our price range".

It's not like we're asking for them to go out and get another Bartolo Colon or something. If for some reason it becomes obvious that the team needs another proven pitcher to solidify the rotation because the current players either get injured or just start getting hammered, I don't want to hear about how they can't afford it. Like the old Nike ad said: "Just do it."

How much is a possible championship worth to this organization? Is it worth digging really deep and coming up with an extra million or three to get one more player that could just put them over the top? With articles like this continuing to show up, I'm starting to wonder. I'm not saying either way that the Sox should/shouldn't have signed Kenny Rodgers, but I'm getting tired of hearing this "we can't afford it" excuse.

Especially when they get "outbid" (for lack of a better term) by the Twins of all teams by a measly 1 million dollars. :angry:

czalgosz
03-14-2003, 12:07 PM
Relax. Kenny Rogers just isn't that good. He's okay, but I wouldn't be surprised if he gets outperformed by Jon Rauch this season, Will Carroll notwithstanding. His signing with the Twins does nothing to radically change the balance of power in the AL central. Heck, his signing with the Sox wouldn't have either.

pearso66
03-14-2003, 12:40 PM
They may go with what they have this year, and if they don't have what it takes, they'll resign Colon, which could be why they are holding the payroll where it is, and Rauch and Borchard will have a year under their belts, and then next year make a big move to win the series. To me that sounds like a good possibility, and doesnt sound all that unreasonable. Although I'd like to win now, I'd rather see if we couldn't resign Colon, instead of investing a lot of our money on a few players, and then if we don't win, dump them in the name of keeping the payroll low

Lip Man 1
03-14-2003, 01:41 PM
vf

Lip Man 1
03-14-2003, 01:43 PM
Two thing particularly caught my eye as I was reading Phil's EXCELLENT story.

1. Phil discussed the perimeter effects of the signing (i.e. based on Danny Wright's health, the up and down performances from the middle relief squad and what Sox players may be thinking about all this in the clubhouse.)

and

2. The biggest item in my opinion, was the fact that the Minnesota Twins, from one of the smallest markets in baseball with one of the few owners worse then Jerry Reinsdorf, now has a payroll four million dollars MORE then a team from the 3rd largest city in America. This from a team that was slated for destruction 18 months ago. I remember reading things along those lines last year here at WSI, that this could happen, some fans were very perceptive on this point.

I also think Jeremy brought up an interesting point about Armondo Rios perhaps ultimately costing the Sox kenny Rogers. Of course when the Sox signed Rios they had no way of knowing that Daubach would fall into their laps or that Eric Milton would get hurt.

I also agree 100% with IWriteCode on his viewpoints. It's not like anybody is asking the Sox have a 100 million dollar payroll. It still is totally beyond my comprehension how a Chicago team fails to even have a 60 million dollar payroll.

As far as czalg's comments. It looks like Jon Rauch will soon be a moot point based on his spring pitching performance (of course if Wright is seriously hurt, or done that could change things regardless of how bad Rauch has looked.)

Lip

Juan Pizarro
03-14-2003, 01:51 PM
Lip makes a good case.

The thing that gets me is how shortsighted this really is.
With ticket sales already up, don't you think, just maybe, that adding the Gambler might have sparked a few more Sox-7 sales, or even season buys? I know it'd get me even more excited, and even from 2+1/2 hours away, I likely would have popped for a seven-game package. (Correct me if they're not still on sale.)

And, what is the profit on a home playoff game? That would have covered the extra mil easy. (Not that you automatically make it with the signing, but, geez, it's really a piddly amount.)