Overall a positive article.

TheBigHurt
03-13-2003, 10:34 PM
Olivo is well known believe or not in ny

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

I LOOK FOWARD TO A GOOD YR BY MIGUEL

Daver
03-13-2003, 10:39 PM
Based on that article I doubt Sickels has seen him play more than once,if at all.Typical of ESPN,Peter Gammons could have written that article.

hold2dibber
03-14-2003, 08:14 AM
Olivo has hit just .071 so far this spring and faces competition from Josh Paul and Sandy Alomar Jr. Even if he goes back to Triple-A to start the year, Olivo should see Comiskey sometime in '03, and he projects as the starter in '04.

What is "Comiskey"?

Mammoo
03-14-2003, 08:39 AM
Listening to Ken Williams with MJH yesterday, one got the impression that Olivo would be starting the year in the minors. Williams opined that he would like the pitchers to get off to a good start. Alomar and Paul are two veteran receivers with which they are familiar.

An .071 BA is not likely to alter KW's thinking.

hold2dibber
03-14-2003, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Mammoo
Listening to Ken Williams with MJH yesterday, one got the impression that Olivo would be starting the year in the minors. Williams opined that he would like the pitchers to get off to a good start. Alomar and Paul are two veteran receivers with which they are familiar.

An .071 BA is not likely to alter KW's thinking.

I think you're probably right; and I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing. I'd rather wait until Olivo is actually ready instead of rushing him. Of course the problem is, that leaves us with an Alomar/Paul platoon at C. Yikes. We'll all be pining for the glorious days of Mark Johnson (or Karko or Brook Fordyce or even LaValliere). I actually don't think Alomar is that bad; but there's no way he can catch more than half the games, and Josh Paul is a disaster behind the plate. He will put a ton of pressure on our pitchers because he cannot throw anyone out.