PDA

View Full Version : Magglio Delgado?

thecell
03-13-2003, 05:51 PM
Looks like Maggs' last name is Delgado?

Check it out. (http://www.baseball-reference.com/o/ordonma01.shtml)

doublem23
03-13-2003, 05:59 PM
Someone may correct me if I am wrong, but I am fairly certain that in Latino cultures, your official name consists of your first name, middle name (if any), father's last name, and mother's last name.

Delgado is probably his mother's maiden name, but his official surname is Ordonez.

WhiteSox = Life
03-13-2003, 06:03 PM
Not quite. From what I've learned in Spanish class this year, the children get two names. The dominant one from the father becomes the second name and the third name comes from the mother. So, while Magglio's full name is Magglio Ordonez Delgado, his American last name would be Ordonez not Delgado, according to Hispanic/Latino (?) customs... at least, as far as I can figure.

For anybody in the know, correct me if I'm wrong, or expand on what I wrote, but I believe that's how it goes.

:smile:

jortafan
03-13-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life
Not quite. From what I've learned in Spanish class this year, the children get two names. The dominant one from the father becomes the second name and the third name comes from the mother. So, while Magglio's full name is Magglio Ordonez Delgado, his American last name would be Ordonez not Delgado, according to Hispanic/Latino (?) customs... at least, as far as I can figure.

For anybody in the know, correct me if I'm wrong, or expand on what I wrote, but I believe that's how it goes.

No need to correct you. You're absolutely correct on this issue.

His last name is Ordonez Delgado (no hyphen). But it has been Americanized into just Ordonez for purposes of the Major Leagues.

jortafan
03-13-2003, 06:29 PM
I know there's supposed to be a tilde (~) over the n in Ordonez. I don't want to hear anyone trying to correct me. I was just too lazy to type it in, especially since my keyboard gets erratic and doesn't like the tilde.

A.T. Money
03-13-2003, 06:30 PM
Ozzie Guillen (http://www.baseball-reference.com/g/guilloz01.shtml)

Maggs isn't the only one. Ozzie is from Venazuela too.

WhiteSox = Life
03-13-2003, 06:51 PM
I know that Viva Mgglio! posts here with perfect accented skills. Magglio has an accent on the "a" and Ordonez has an accent on the second "o" and a tilde on the "n". I'd have no problem putting in the stuff like that, if...

1. I knew the keyboard function to do so.
2. I knew where the accents were supposed to go all the time.
3. Didn't have to go to Word, look up the symbols, insert it, copy it, and then paste it in a post.

And, though Word says the keyboard shortcut for the special symbols, it doesn't work. Believe me, I've tried. The only ones I ever use are...
, , ,

That's about it. I wish I remembered how to do the upside down question mark (), the upside down exclamation point (), and the e with the accent on it () besides doing the Word trick. (Actually, for anyone interested in the accents... http://www.northstar.k12.ak.us/schools/beh/departments/spanish/HTMLHints.html)

Whichever way, Magglio Ordonez Delgado, Magglio Ordonez, or Mgglio Ordez, I'm glad he's on the Chicago White Sox!

TheBigHurt
03-13-2003, 06:53 PM
DAM i thought this thread would be who would want more MAGGS or delgadit

and of course MAGGS is the correct choice

HITMEN OF 77
03-13-2003, 07:33 PM
Si Senor! Ordonez would be his correct American last name. I knew those 3 years of Spanish class would come in handy some day. Now what about the one year of French class I took? Au Revoir.

Viva Magglio
03-13-2003, 08:08 PM
That's about it. I wish I remembered how to do the upside down question mark (), the upside down exclamation point (), and the e with the accent on it () besides doing the Word trick. (Actually, for anyone interested in the accents... http://www.northstar.k12.ak.us/schools/beh/departments/spanish/HTMLHints.html)

Key Spanish language accents/symbols:
= Alt+130
= Alt+144
= Alt+160
= Alt+161
= Alt+162
= Alt+163
= Alt+164
= Alt+165
= Alt+168
= Alt+173
= Alt+174 (open quote in Spanish)
= Alt+175 (close quote in Spanish)

Others of interest:
= Alt+20
= Alt+21
= Alt+155
= Alt+156
= Alt+157
= Alt+159
= Alt+167
= Alt+171
= Alt+172

ilovemags30
03-13-2003, 11:33 PM
eeeeeee... mine is different.... hrmph.

moochpuppy
03-14-2003, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by HITMEN OF 77
Now what about the one year of French class I took? Au Revoir.

Did they teach the art of surrendering?

Juan Pizarro
03-14-2003, 10:39 AM
It's different in Macintosh land.
Accented vowels are option-e then the vowel, i.e , , , etc.
is option-n

WhiteSox = Life
03-14-2003, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
Did they teach the art of surrendering?

I just had to show this to everybody. A while ago, a friend of mine sent me an e-mail with the Complete Military History of France. Pardon the errors in the following messages. (No harm is meant in this, it is all in good fun.)

The Complete Military History of France

Gallic Wars - Lost. In a war whose ending foreshadows
the next 2000 years of French history, France is
conquered by, of all things, an Italian.

Hundred Years War - Mostly lost, saved at last by
female schizophrenic who inadvertently creates The
First Rule of French Warfare; "France's armies are
only victorious when not led by a Frenchman."

Italian Wars - Lost. France becomes the first and
only country to ever lose two wars when fighting
Italians.

Wars of Religion - France goes 0-5-4 against the
Huguenots.

Thirty Years War - France is technically not a
participant, but manages to get invaded anyway. Claims
a tie on the basis that eventually the other
participants started ignoring her.

War of Devolution - Tied. Frenchmen take to wearing
red flowerpots as chapeaux.

The Dutch War - Tied

War of the Augsburg League/King William's War/French
and Indian War - Lost, but claimed as a tie. Three
"ties" in a row induces deluded Frogophiles the world
over to label the period as the height of French
military power.

War of the Spanish Succession - Lost. The War also
gave the French their first taste of a Marlborough,
which they have loved every since.

American Revolution - In a move that will become
quite familiar to future Americans, France claims a win
even though the formerly English colonists saw far more
action. This is later known as "de Gaulle
Syndrome", and leads to the Second Rule of French
Warfare; " France only wins when America does most of
the fighting."

French Revolution - Won, primarily due the fact that
the opponent was also French.

The Napoleonic Wars - Lost. Temporary victories
(remember the First Rule!) due to leadership of a
Corsican, who ended up being no match for a British
footwear designer.

The Franco-Prussian War - Lost. Germany first plays
the role of drunk Frat boy to France 's ugly girl home
alone on a Saturday night.

World War I - Tied and on the way to losing, France
is saved by the United States . Thousands of French
women find out what it's like to not only sleep with a
winner, but one who doesn't call her "Fraulein."
Sadly, widespread use of condoms by American forces
forestalls any improvement in the French bloodline.

World War II - Lost. Conquered French liberated by
the United States and Britain just as they finish
learning the Horst Wessel Song.

War in Indochina - Lost. French forces plead
sickness, take to bed with the Dien Bien Flu.

Algerian Rebellion - Lost. Loss marks the first
defeat of a western army by a Non-Turkic Muslim force
since the Crusades, and produces the First Rule of
Muslim Warfare; "We can always beat the French." This
rule is identical to the First Rules of the Italians,
Russians, Germans, English, Dutch, Spanish, Vietnamese
and Esquimaux.

War on Terrorism - France, keeping in mind its
recent history, surrenders to Germans and Muslims just
to be safe. Attempts to surrender to the Vietnamese
ambassador fail after he takes refuge in a McDonald's.

The question for any country silly enough to count on
the French should not be "Can we count on the French?",
but rather "How long until France collapses?"

Edit: The preceding has been brought to you by WhiteSox = Life, in cooperation with White Sox Interactive. All complaints and hate messages should be directed to the management of WSI. Thank you.

:D:

Dadawg_77
03-14-2003, 08:04 PM

:D:

Not a hate message here, but you forgot about the Normandy invasion of England (1066? ac). Which Normands won and change the course of Western Civ forever.

Also the last part, France has been a key ally in the War on Terror. They have one of the best sources for key intell and other support when tracking down terrorist cells across the world. For my point of view the War with Iraq is a of a different then War on Terror, just lump together to satify the purposes of media organzations and the people who want war.

WhiteSox = Life
03-14-2003, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Not a hate message here, but you forgot about the Normandy invasion of England (1066? ac). Which Normands won and change the course of Western Civ forever.

Also the last part, France has been a key ally in the War on Terror. They have one of the best sources for key intell and other support when tracking down terrorist cells across the world. For my point of view the War with Iraq is a of a different then War on Terror, just lump together to satify the purposes of media organzations and the people who want war.

I'm no French historian so I'll have to take your word for it. It's just something I thought was funny. I'm not trying to hurt anybody at all, it's all in fun.

Besides, I have no hard feelings towards France. The French are a-okay by me!

hose
03-15-2003, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by thecell
Looks like Maggs' last name is Delgado?

Check it out. (http://www.baseball-reference.com/o/ordonma01.shtml)

Mike Downey mentioned in his column today that Maggs is our favorite Irish South sider in honor of St. Patrick's Day.

Magglio O'Donez

hose
03-15-2003, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77

This Frenchman had just a little bit of success and changed the world doing it.

http://www.frenchculture.org/education/contest/charlemagne.html

Unregistered
03-15-2003, 07:49 PM
All this French War talk reminds me of this prank that i heard about a little while ago:

(as of two days ago, this worked...but I think it's down again...)
anyway

Go to google.com (http://www.google.com) and type "French Military Victories", and click on the "I'm Feeling Lucky" button...

It should (used to, anyway) go back to the Google page and say "No Matches Found. Did you mean "French Military DEFEATS"?

What someone did was bump up their site (http://albinoblacksheep.com/text/victories.html) so you were automatically directed to their site when you typed this. It wasn't actually a Google page, but a replica of it...

There was actually a write-up about this in New York's Newsday: Internet Parody Hands French Military a Defeat (http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/world/ny-wogoog133170831mar13,0,2821577.story?coll=ny-worldnews-headlines)