PDA

View Full Version : Uecker in the front row

Paulwny
03-13-2003, 04:06 PM
The popular Milwaukee Brewers' broadcaster was picked Thursday for the Ford C. Frick Award and will be inducted into the announcers' wing of the Hall on July 27.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/wire/sns-ap-bbo-hall-of-fame-uecker,0,7886538.story?coll=sns%2Dap%2Dbaseball%2D headlines

Hangar18
03-13-2003, 04:49 PM
Good for him. I like Ueck. In my world as owner of the Sox, I wouldve stole him from the Brewers long ago. He would be perfect as a sox announcer. He reminds me of someone that would be living in Beverly or Mt Greenwood.

(VC Edit: This is post #111111 in Sox Clubhouse history.)

WhiteSox = Life
03-13-2003, 05:24 PM
Well, he surely wasn't going to get into the Hall for his batting statistics.

I remember one of the best quotes ever. Bob Uecker was asked, "How do you catch a knuckleball?" Ueck responded, "I wait for it to stop rolling."

"Sporting goods companies pay me not to endorse their products." Bob Uecker

Bob Uecker, lifetime .200 hitter:
"Anyone with talent can play in the Major Leagues; for someone like me to stay around as long as I did, I think that's a much greater acheivement."

Ah, such classic lines. No longer will Uecker be "juuust a bit outside."

:D:

Hullett_Fan
03-13-2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
The popular Milwaukee Brewers' broadcaster was picked Thursday for the Ford C. Frick Award and will be inducted into the announcers' wing of the Hall on July 27.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/wire/sns-ap-bbo-hall-of-fame-uecker,0,7886538.story?coll=sns%2Dap%2Dbaseball%2D headlines

Way to go Uecker!!! I try to listen to a few Brewer games on WTMJ 620 every year just to hear his call. I also try to catch Mr.Belevdere re-runs :D:

Sad
03-14-2003, 09:31 AM
I also listen to Brewers games on the days/nights when there isnt one on in Chicago...

I'm happy to hear Bob is getting this recognition as well

moochpuppy
03-14-2003, 09:55 AM
Way to Ueck. By far one of my favorite baseball personallities. Also another veteran from some of the best commercials in TV history....the old Miller Lite spots.

idseer
03-14-2003, 11:41 AM
great news!

this should increase the value of my bob uecker card from $1.35 to $1.40. :D:

Juan Pizarro
03-14-2003, 11:54 AM
Uecker's a great guy, but he's been coasting for years. (I live in Wisconsin and hear him a lot.)
You're hard-pressed to get count updates from him, he rarely says what a pitch is other than a ball or strike, and the game often gets lost in his long stories.
Of course, that club has been terrible for years.

ewokpelts
03-14-2003, 12:31 PM
Hey all,
Considering that he hasnt shot himself for staying a Brewer announcer, I'd let him ramble on like Harry Carry did near the end.
Gene

jortafan
03-14-2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Juan Pizarro
Uecker's a great buy, but he's been coasting for years. (I live in Wisconsin and hear him a lot.)
You're hard-pressed to get count updates from him, he rarely says what a pitch is other than a ball or strike, and the game often gets lost in his long stories.
Of course, that club has been terrible for years.

Just because he's gotten older and is no longer at the top of his game doesn't diminish how good a broadcaster and personality he was at his peak.

Take Harry Caray. The fact that he became a slurring, babbling nut with the Cubs doesn't diminish the fact that he was worthy of the Hall of Fame's broadcaster's wing for his work with the Cardinals and our Sox.

Juan Pizarro
03-14-2003, 02:08 PM
Oh, I totally agree, jortafan. It's just that, with much love being passed Ueck's way, a little dose of reality was in order.

ode to veeck
03-15-2003, 10:28 AM
Take Harry Caray. The fact that he became a slurring, babbling nut with the Cubs doesn't diminish the fact that he was worthy of the Hall of Fame's broadcaster's wing for his work with the Cardinals and our Sox.

Some say it ws the gallons of Bud, but I wonder how many of us wouldn't turn into a slurring, babbling nut if they were forced to watch the Flubs every day each season!