PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Possibility

MRKARNO
03-13-2003, 12:26 PM
Many analysts keep talking about how the Sox might not perform to their potential this year, but none of the analysts seem to think that this is remotely possible for the Twins. I know this may be an outside shot, but what if last years' Twins were a total fluke? It's possible, but no one's talking about it. What if they are like the 2001 White Sox in which they follow an amazing year with a bad one? I don't understand why this possibility hasn't been raised. It's not very likely, but I would think that it's about as likely as the Sox underperforming this year.

czalgosz
03-13-2003, 12:55 PM
There are a lot of similarities between the 2000 White Sox and the 2002 Twins. They both won because of a very strong bullpen and great situational hitting, and as the Sox found out in 2001, and the Mariners found out in 2002, you can't count on situational hitting to be there for you every time.

I estimate that the Twins will fall to their pythagorean W-L from last year, and win about 88-90 games. That might well be enough to take the division again, if the Sox stumble, but it doesn't guarantee anything.

doublem23
03-13-2003, 02:16 PM
It's shaping up to be a very interesting race in the Central. Realistically speaking, I wouldn't be shocked at all to see either or both teams fall somewhere in the 75-95 win spectrum.

voodoochile
03-13-2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
It's shaping up to be a very interesting race in the Central. Realistically speaking, I wouldn't be shocked at all to see either or both teams fall somewhere in the 75-95 win spectrum.

Boy, you can't buy analysis like that anymore... Well, you can, but your probably shouldn't...

:)

duke of dorwood
03-13-2003, 03:22 PM
The Twins are a fluke and we could underachieve easily with this manager

Juan Pizarro
03-13-2003, 03:32 PM
I've made exactly this point, that everyone expects the Twins to get better and that doesn't always happen.
The pundits all did much the same for the Sox in 2001, as was said above, and look how that turned out.
I'm getting sick of all the feel-good about the Twins as the anti-Yankees.
In a way, though, it's better to go into a year with people discounting your chances. There's a little less pressure flying under the radar, and it never hurts to have a chip on your shoulder as motivation.

lighttowerpower1
03-13-2003, 03:38 PM

Well if that is the case then we should also worry about cleveland and kansas city because they also have the potential to win at least 75 games as well. Detroit isn't too far back either, they probably have 60-70 win potential. It sure is going to be an interesting and exciting summer.

czalgosz
03-13-2003, 03:40 PM
The reason the pundits thought the Twins would get better is that Milton and Radke both pitched worse than expected, and Mays was hurt. The expectation was that those three

But that falls into the trap that's so easy to fall into - thinking that eveyone who was good last year will be good again this year, and that everyone who had an off-year last year will bounce back and be good this year. It's what us simple folk call "wishful thinking" and there's a good deal of that surrounding the Twins.

And why not? It's certainly a feel-good story for everyone but us Sox fans. It probably makes sportswriters feel really warm and fuzzy to give the "little engine that could" Twins the benefit of the doubt.

Jjav829
03-13-2003, 03:44 PM

Way to go out on a limb! :smile:

WhiteSox = Life
03-13-2003, 04:30 PM
Remember, when you're right 52% of the time, you're wrong 48.

:smile:

doublem23
03-13-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Way to go out on a limb! :smile:

Naw, I was just pointing out that I wouldn't be too shocked if eitehr the Twins or Sox fell flat on their face or had great seasons...

But if you insist, my predicted standings (with Sox-fan bias)...

White Sox... 91-71
Twins... 88-74
Indians... 79-83
Royals... 64-98
Tigers 60-102

MRKARNO
03-13-2003, 11:45 PM
I'm glad that I'm not alone on that thought, I was afraid that I might be.
I've seen a prediction of order in the AL Central, and the most underrated team in the central is:

KC Royals. They have hitting for sure. No questions their pitchings is beyond terrible though. I would not be surprised to see them outhit their opponents for 70 wins and 3rd in the central this year

Also, I think that many people underestimate the Sox' win potential. They play 37.5% of games against KC, CLE and Det which might allow for an inflated win total for the Twins and the Sox this year.

Lip Man 1
03-14-2003, 01:01 PM
This is just my opinion but I think the reason you don't see any talk of the Twins copying the Sox 2001 season is because of the thought that the Twins will always play hard and won't beat themselves.

The Twins seem to play the game the way the Sox did in the 50's and 60's (and in 1990). You won't see them make two errors on a single play or have guys thrown out trying to steal 3rd base with less then two out and the tying run at the plate. They know how to hit the other way to advance a runner, they seem to take a lot of pitches and you don't see them getting picked off everybase.

They are also perfectly suited to the abortion that they call a home ballpark. It's tough for opposing teams to come in and get used to all the quirky things that happen.

They just seem to me to be a pretty solid team. If they ever somehow got their hands on one or two 100 RBI guys they could serious threaten for an AL pennent.

As it now stands they and the Sox should have a good race with fundamentals and injuries deciding the issue.

Lip

dllrbll7
03-14-2003, 01:07 PM
Naw, I was just pointing out that I wouldn't be too shocked if eitehr the Twins or Sox fell flat on their face or had great seasons...

But if you insist, my predicted standings (with Sox-fan bias)...

White Sox... 91-71
Twins... 88-74
Indians... 79-83
Royals... 64-98
Tigers 60-102

I think that is a very possible outcome but i will give the tigers acouple more wins. i definately dont think they will only get 75 wins like mentioned before. I think the 81 wins will be the minimum but i think they will be a good amount over that.