PDA

View Full Version : your take on Rick White?

cheeses_h_rice
03-13-2003, 10:02 AM
I haven't been able to keep up on the ST games, but get the impression that White has been a liability.

What do you all think of him? Will he even make the 25MR?

FanOf14
03-13-2003, 10:03 AM
I haven't been impressed at all. I don't think he'll make the 25 man rotation unless there is an injury or two.

hold2dibber
03-13-2003, 10:33 AM
White has been getting knocked around pretty good. But I thought he had a major league deal, no? If he doesn't, he might not make it, especially with Ginter throwing well. But keep this in mind; last year, White was a disaster in Colordado where, like in Tucson, the air is thin. It may be that there is something about his stuff or the way he pitches that makes him particularly ineffective in that type of climate/atmosphere. He was lights out after he went to St. Louis and has been pretty solid the last few years, outside of Coors Field. So I hold out hope that he'll be a constributor this year, despite his S.T. struggles, once he gets out of Arizona.

Hangar18
03-13-2003, 10:44 AM
White is Terrible....

Juan Pizarro
03-13-2003, 10:53 AM
I stil have high hopes for White. What he did down the stretch last year cannot be ignored.

I think he'll turn out to be this year's version of Dennis Lamp in '83.

baggio202
03-13-2003, 01:05 PM
this guy is a veteran pitcher...he is proven to give you numbers in the 3.50 era range...you treat those guys differently unless they are borderline players imo...white might be working on his mechanics or something..maybe a new pitch..who knows...

his ST in 01 were 0-1 4.35 era
in '02 ...................1-0 4.36

not sure if those stats shed any light on how white will perform in the regular season

czalgosz
03-13-2003, 01:11 PM
Is Rick White fighting for a job this spring? If he is, then his performance thus far in ST is very troubling.

If not, perhaps he's just working on his command or something. His outings have been very strange - he'll give up a couple hits, maybe a homer, then strike out a guy, get a popup, and look great. If I hear that Manuel's worried about him, then I'll worry about him.

Bobby Thigpen
03-13-2003, 10:57 PM
I just hope he hangs around long enough so they'll have some really big jerseys for me to buy next year at the garage sale for $50. :D:

Big men need love too.

TheBigHurt
03-13-2003, 11:00 PM
i think hes a solid guy who played well with the yankmees and the cardnials and wiill continue to do so here

jeremyb1
03-13-2003, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by TheBigHurt
i think hes a solid guy who played well with the yankmees and the cardnials and wiill continue to do so here

i'm pretty sure white has a guaranteed contract of near 800,000 so he's going to be on the roster all season unless he's absolutely horrendous or is traded. additionally, a performance as poor as white's is obviously somewhat upsetting but please lets not forget this is spring training. white wouldn't be the first pitcher to post a double digit era in the spring and then have a good season.

Stoky44
03-14-2003, 11:16 AM
I never liked the idea of signing him. I think he is going to be bad this year. Oh well, K-Will made two great pick ups this year (Colon and Koch), you can't expect that he is now a God of GM's and every move he makes is golden. Old JR has a budget and K-Will did the best he could do. So what if White sucks, we'll still be good and K-Will will still have had a great off season. Look at Flash he's doing pretty good too.

pudge
03-14-2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
White has been getting knocked around pretty good. But I thought he had a major league deal, no? If he doesn't, he might not make it, especially with Ginter throwing well. But keep this in mind; last year, White was a disaster in Colordado where, like in Tucson, the air is thin. It may be that there is something about his stuff or the way he pitches that makes him particularly ineffective in that type of climate/atmosphere. He was lights out after he went to St. Louis and has been pretty solid the last few years, outside of Coors Field. So I hold out hope that he'll be a constributor this year, despite his S.T. struggles, once he gets out of Arizona.

I think this is the most important point... remember how badly so many of our pitchers were getting knocked around last spring. White relies on a pretty big curve, which probably just hangs over the plate and doesn't break in Tuscon. I would like to see him pitching better, but he's gonna make the team and he'll be fine.