PDA

View Full Version : Colorado's take on the Renegade Sox

FanOf14
03-13-2003, 09:25 AM
Colorado's take and a little extra (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sox13.html)

Just an article to spur a little more conversation in regards to the steroids test...

I would have thought the trib would have written this with the negative tone and things they were saying without saying...

Another interesting bite:

MANUEL'S 11: Sox manager Jerry Manuel said with three days off in the first three weeks, an 11-man pitching staff would be ideal. He said he probably won't find enough work for 12 pitchers.

The likely starters are Bartolo Colon, Mark Buehrle, Jon Garland, Danny Wright and Esteban Loaiza. If Wright (elbow inflammation) isn't ready to go at the start of the season, the final starting spot would go to Jon Rauch or Gil Heredia.

The likely relievers are Billy Koch, Tom Gordon, Damaso Marte, Rick White, Gary Glover and Wunsch, though White's struggles could open the door for Matt Ginter.

Hangar18
03-13-2003, 10:57 AM
F*** the Rockies.....

SI1020
03-13-2003, 11:10 AM
Whatever the motivations of the White Sox players this plan of action was strongly opposed by their union. Hence the backtracking and Wunch's protests that the matter was blown out of proportion. Steroid testing can't come soon enough as far as I'm concerned but I don't believe the players union leadership wants it any time soon.

voodoochile
03-13-2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by SI1020
Whatever the motivations of the White Sox players this plan of action was strongly opposed by their union. Hence the backtracking and Wunch's protests that the matter was blown out of proportion. Steroid testing can't come soon enough as far as I'm concerned but I don't believe the players union leadership wants it any time soon.

Of course not. Their job is to drive up salaries and bigger stronger players get bigger contracts because they hit the ball farther more often.

Ban the drugs and the stats go down and the owners can decrease salaries all around...

moochpuppy
03-13-2003, 12:01 PM
The game ended in a 6-6 tie after the Sox ran out of pitchers.

Did Bud attend the game?

StepsInSC
03-13-2003, 12:11 PM
Frank Thomas, whose size has raised eyebrows for years,

Oh gimme a break. He's always been huge. Its nowhere near like when you look at Bonds young in his career compared to now...

czalgosz
03-13-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by StepsInSC
Oh gimme a break. He's always been huge. Its nowhere near like when you look at Bonds young in his career compared to now...

Speaking of steroids allegations...*cough*

PaleHoseGeorge
03-13-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by StepsInSC

Frank Thomas, whose size has raised eyebrows for years...

I saw that, too. You have to wonder what sort of child it was to write such a stupid statement. Frank Thomas has been HUGE since the day he was born. He played football at Auburn, LOL!

Check out Frank's rookie cards next to any of the obvious juicers in the game like Big Mac, Barry, and Shammy. There is no comparison. If he has added weight with age, it's proportional across his hips and gut, too. Those other three look like quintessential juicers: huge arms, bulging head and shoulders, and no waist. Gimme a break with this!

For the record, they DO screen for drugs in the minors. That's why the sudden and incredible growth in muscle mass among so many major leaguers is such a red flag for juicing. Frank does not fit that stereotype at all.

Ah yes, the Chicago newspapers... no room for serving home-cooking on the South Side, is there?

:shammy
"I'm looking a bit flabbier these days of drug screening, aren't I."

moochpuppy
03-13-2003, 01:01 PM

"I wondered why my stolen base numbers have suffered."

:hurt

"Sammy, just inject the stuff in your ass like me."

Bobby Thigpen
03-13-2003, 01:07 PM
If Frank's on roids, I'm the queen of England. He has always been huge. I mean he's what only about 30 pounds bigger than he was in 90? That's pretty average for an aging male. Most of that is not muscle, but just size one puts on as they get older. What did roids supposedly make tall too?

Sammy obviously owes all of his size to nothing but hard work and a good dentist.

kermittheefrog
03-13-2003, 01:11 PM
Will Carroll reported there is a lot more to the group of Sox players planning to veto the test than is being reported. Don't know exactly what that means just yet, I'm hoping he writes more about that.

FanOf14
03-13-2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen
If Frank's on roids, I'm the queen of England. He has always been huge. I mean he's what only about 30 pounds bigger than he was in 90? That's pretty average for an aging male. Most of that is not muscle, but just size one puts on as they get older. What did roids supposedly make tall too?

Sammy obviously owes all of his size to nothing but hard work and a good dentist.

Comparing a bunch of cards I have of his from 1991 to now there is approximately 75 lbs difference. I will verify when I get home.

Bobby Thigpen
03-13-2003, 01:19 PM
Really Fanof14? I didn't seem to be that much to me, but hey I could be wrong.

What'd he weigh in 90? I'd guess him to have been about 230. I don't think he weighs 305 now. Besides didn't he supposedly lose like 25 pounds this offseason? I would guess him to be about 270-280. That is a little more than 30 pounds, but not much.

I don't know. It's just when I look at Bonds and Sosa, and then look at Frank and how his body is composed, I just can't see Frank being on roids. Besides, it's not as if his numbers have gone up exponentially with the bigger size like someone else.

"Me??"

FanOf14
03-13-2003, 01:23 PM
I didn't think so either until the end of last season when I brought a bunch of cards with me to work and a bunch of were looking at it and it really amazed us, we had always remembered him looking the same. The biggest change was the chest/arms area (he had large legs back then like he does today). someone posted a side by side shot of similar cards here and that is why I brought them in (I'll look and see if I can find the post...).

PS - I am not implying anything in the least, just putting facts on the table is all.

Bobby Thigpen
03-13-2003, 01:25 PM
I think most of his size gains in the late 90's were done around the waistline. But hey, isn't every guy's?? :smile:

czalgosz
03-13-2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by FanOf14
I didn't think so either until the end of last season when I brought a bunch of cards with me to work and a bunch of were looking at it and it really amazed us, we had always remembered him looking the same. The biggest change was the chest/arms area (he had large legs back then like he does today). someone posted a side by side shot of similar cards here and that is why I brought them in (I'll look and see if I can find the post...).

PS - I am not implying anything in the least, just putting facts on the table is all.

My dad has video of the final game at Old Comiskey, and we were amazed at how slender Thomas was back then. I think he's done a lot more weight training since then.

MisterB
03-13-2003, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by FanOf14
Comparing a bunch of cards I have of his from 1991 to now there is approximately 75 lbs difference. I will verify when I get home.

I have a '91 Sox program right here and Frank's listed at 240 lbs. It also has ShamMe listed at 175. (anyone know what his current weight is?)

Jjav829
03-13-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
My dad has video of the final game at Old Comiskey, and we were amazed at how slender Thomas was back then. I think he's done a lot more weight training since then.

And a lot more donut training. :smile:

Who the hell would actually look at Frank and think he takes steroids? I mean I don't look at Mo Vaughn and think he takes steroids. Guys like Brad Fullmer, maybe.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-13-2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
And a lot more donut training. :smile:

Who the hell would actually look at Frank and think he takes steroids? I mean I don't look at Mo Vaughn and think he takes steroids. Guys like Brad Fullmer, maybe.

EXACTLY.

Juicers put all the new weight into their chest, shoulders, and arms. If anything, their waist gets smaller. (I could make a crack about their lower abdomen, but I won't. :smile: )

The only suspicious weight Frank has put on could just as easily be attributed to curling donuts precisely because of WHERE he carries it.

FanOf14
03-13-2003, 07:02 PM
OKay - home now. I did misremember the weight numbers, but the arms were much slimmer back then...

This is what I have been able to find:

Donruss 1991 #477 240lbs

Pinnacle 1993 (I think) #108 240lbs

Pinnacle 1994 - AL MVP Award #1 257lbs

Score 1996 #21 257lbs

Topps Opening Day 2001 #76 257lbs

There you have it boys and girls - nothing much to see here, next post please. :)

StepsInSC
03-13-2003, 07:13 PM
There's also the fact that his HR numbers have been consistant throughout his career, especially compared to others...

"Wha? I just started swinging hard. Swing hard, ball goes far."

Iguana775
03-13-2003, 07:31 PM
It amazes me how people think Hurt takes roids. ***??!! The guy was a college football TE. You arent a small guy if you are playing college TE. I remember him always being a big guy. the only way has gotten bigger is the waist. He probably has gained muscle but i think he may have gained some inches around the waist. That, my friends, isn't roids.