PDA

View Full Version : Rogers vs. Milton

hold2dibber
03-13-2003, 08:33 AM
Out of curiousity, I took a peek at Rogers' numbers over the last three years as compared to Milton's numbers over the last three years (since Rogers will, essentially, be replacing Milton for the Twinkees). They have been pretty similar:

IP: Milton 591.2, Rogers 558.2
H: Milton 600, Rogers 619
SOs: Milton 438, Rogers 308
BBs: Milton 135, Rogers 197
W/L: Milton 41-26, Rogers 31-28
ERA: Milton 4.66, Rogers 4.64

Looking at these numbers, and their respective ages, and I would be more confident that Milton would have had a good 2003 than Rogers. But I think Rogers was a good pick up for the Twins and I wish the Sox had him instead. Nonetheless, I don't think his acquisition shifts the balance in the AL Central. It essentially puts the Twins back where they were before Milton was hurt (at best).

soxruleEP
03-13-2003, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

IP: Milton 591.2, Rogers 558.2
H: Milton 600, Rogers 619
SOs: Milton 438, Rogers 308
BBs: Milton 135, Rogers 197
W/L: Milton 41-26, Rogers 31-28
ERA: Milton 4.66, Rogers 4.64

Your analysis of their similarity and the general lack of impact on the Twins seems correct, Dibber.

The thing I find interesting here is H/IP ratio. We can see that Milton's success is based on an excellent K/BB ratio. He doesn't hurt himself by walking a lot of guys and he is able to get a strikeout when he needs one.

I am disappointed that we couldn't pick up Rodgers since the Twins didn't really offer him anything too much more than we did.

I hope Rodgers fires his agent since he cost him about $8 million.

SuckerforSox
03-13-2003, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by soxruleEP
Your analysis of their similarity and the general lack of impact on the Twins seems correct, Dibber.

The thing I find interesting here is H/IP ratio. We can see that Milton's success is based on an excellent K/BB ratio. He doesn't hurt himself by walking a lot of guys and he is able to get a strikeout when he needs one.

I am disappointed that we couldn't pick up Rodgers since the Twins didn't really offer him anything too much more than we did.

I hope Rodgers fires his agent since he cost him about $8 million.

That agaent would be Scott Boras, and nothing could be better than seeing him fired.

Those numbers are interesting though. I thought it was kind of an even pick up for them, but it seems that it is a little bit of a down grade. I think it could be a big boost for them if they get Milton back later in the year and have both of them throwing. Then they could get rid of Lohse from the rotation.