PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Rogers to the Twins?

fhqwhgads
03-12-2003, 02:25 PM
Terry Ryan just announced on WCCO Radio (Twins' flagship) that Rogers is undergoing a physical, and if he passes it, he'll be wearing a Twinkies' uni in 2003.

GO TWINS!

czalgosz
03-12-2003, 02:27 PM
woohoo, Twins. I hope the Rangers enjoy their shiny new draft pick.

jeremyb1
03-12-2003, 02:29 PM
wow. i wonder what he signed for. the twins will hurt themselves by moving santana (a better pitcher than rogers) back into the pen and the rangers will win big with a first rounder. i don't see this improving the twins much other than creating more starting pitching depth which will be necessary when another of their starters goes down.

moochpuppy
03-12-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by fhqwhgads
Terry Ryan just announced on WCCO Radio (Twins' flagship) that Rogers is undergoing a physical, and if he passes it, he'll be wearing a Twinkies' uni in 2003.

GO TWINS!

It has also been confirmed on KFAN and Chad Hartman. Nice move by the Twins IMO.

moochpuppy
03-12-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
wow. i wonder what he signed for. the twins will hurt themselves by moving santana (a better pitcher than rogers) back into the pen and the rangers will win big with a first rounder. i don't see this improving the twins much other than creating more starting pitching depth which will be necessary when another of their starters goes down.

They could also keep Santana in the rotation and move Lohse into the pen, which is what I would do. Plus they can't really count on the health of Joe Mays. Rogers gives them an insurance policy.

hold2dibber
03-12-2003, 02:33 PM
I'll be curious to see what he'll earn. A nice pick up for the Twins. Rogers isn't great, but he's decent and pitching depth is critical.

fhqwhgads
03-12-2003, 02:37 PM
I think that as long as he knows how to hold 'em (at first), and not to give any walks away (or any runs)...

Sorry about that. :D:

This is a great deal for Twins. They have more prospects than they can shake a stick at right now, and a huge hole in their pitching staff. What's the downside again?

GO TWINS!

jeremyb1
03-12-2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
They could also keep Santana in the rotation and move Lohse into the pen, which is what I would do. Plus they can't really count on the health of Joe Mays. Rogers gives them an insurance policy.

i'd put lohse in the pen too but i don't think they're going to. it certainly will be helpful to replace the next starter that injures himself with a pitcher better than the guy they're replacing but it'll hurt them to replace santana with rogers in the short term.

czalgosz
03-12-2003, 02:42 PM
What's the downside again?

Giving up a first-round draft pick for someone who, in the final analysis, is a pretty mediocre pitcher.

Sad
03-12-2003, 02:43 PM
Hardee Har Har Norton :angry:
laugh it up in March whilst ya can...

Juan Pizarro
03-12-2003, 02:44 PM
Damn. This one stings. Now the Sox will just have to pummel him mercilessly.

czalgosz
03-12-2003, 02:47 PM
Does anyone have a link? I never believe radio reports.

FanOf14
03-12-2003, 02:47 PM
Any word on salary?

Kilroy
03-12-2003, 02:57 PM
What's the downside again?

GO TWINS!

Umm, here it is Twin-boy...

Versus the Sox, over the last 3 years, Rogers has a 5.73 ERA in 5 games w/ a 1-2 record. In 33 innings, he's given up 33 hits and 21 runs, all earned.

I guess you're right, there is no downside to this move... :D:

moochpuppy
03-12-2003, 03:08 PM
Serve 'em up Kenny! (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/bvsp?pitcherId=1834&teamId=4)

I still think he would have looked nice against the Twins in a Sox uni but not for the price Boras wanted. He has held the Twins to a .220 average in 100 AB.

fhqwhgads
03-12-2003, 03:13 PM
Couple of fun facts:

Rogers had the AL's fourth-highest groundball-flyball ratio last season, at 2.02.

Gold Glove 2002

He holds runners so well and has such a deceptive pickoff move that no one tried to steal second base against him last season. This is extra fun against teams that have known baserunning issues...

At the Metrodome last three years
ERA W L IP H R ER HR BB SO AVG
2.57 2 0 14 11 4 4 0 6 6 .220

Seems like a good fit for the Twins. Konerko and Ordonez bat a mighty .200 against him. Lee and Thomas have done well vs. Rogers, but since I'm firmly in the "Frankie-T is past his prime" club, this doesn't bother me much.

GO TWINS!

czalgosz
03-12-2003, 03:25 PM
Key, of course, will be how much the Twins will be paying for Rogers' services. If they got him relatively cheap, and for 2003 only, then great. He makes a nice replacement for Milton.

What we need to do is avoid going too crazy about this - the Twins are now no more or less dangerous than they were before Milton went down.

jeremyb1
03-12-2003, 03:39 PM
some kenny rogers stats i like:

era over the past three seasons: 4.64
2001 era: 6.19
johan santana's era last season: 2.99

TheBigHurt
03-12-2003, 03:48 PM
HEY fhqwhgads, i like your site!!!!!lol

Hangar18
03-12-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
some kenny rogers stats i like:

era over the past three seasons: 4.64
2001 era: 6.19
johan santana's era last season: 2.99

Hey, Freieyhihhoseirhbns, I like these stats Better, heh heh

MarkEdward
03-12-2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
Giving up a first-round draft pick for someone who, in the final analysis, is a pretty mediocre pitcher.

I think Phil Rogers said that the Rangers wouldn't receive a pick if Kenny Rogers signed with another team. Take that for what it's worth...

czalgosz
03-12-2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
I think Phil Rogers said that the Rangers wouldn't receive a pick if Kenny Rogers signed with another team. Take that for what it's worth...

I'm pretty sure the Rangers offered him arbitration...

StepsInSC
03-12-2003, 07:09 PM
He holds runners so well and has such a deceptive pickoff move that no one tried to steal second base against him last season. This is extra fun against teams that have known baserunning issues...

Phew! Guess we're in the clear then.

TimChamp
03-12-2003, 08:12 PM
I believe the Twins will pay Rogers $2 million plus incentives of $500K...I guess the $1 million that the White Sox were offering wasn't the best offer, huh?

Here's a link to the article...

Kenny Rogers (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20030312&content_id=217860&vkey=spt2003news&fext=.jsp)

Champ out...

Lip Man 1
03-12-2003, 08:25 PM
Folks:

I've got to tell you this news really pisses me off.

As many good things as the Sox did over the Winter...to let an experienced pitcher go to a divisional rival because of a difference of a million to a million and a half dollars more is plain stupidity.

Danny Wright can't comb his hair let alone throw a baseball, Jon Rauch couldn't find home plate if he rolled to ball to it, yet the Sox aren't willing to stop Rogers from going to the Twin Cities.

Me thinks the Boras / Reinsdorf feud just screwed the Sox again.

If Wright and Rauch were fine then this wouldn't bother me, but they aren't.

Unbelieveable stupidity.

If Milton should make it back for the stretch this gives Minnesota an even deeper staff.

Meanwhile the Sox are crossing their fingers (and toes) again.

Dammit!

Lip

Daver
03-12-2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Me thinks the Boras / Reinsdorf feud just screwed the Sox again.

The owners created guys like Scott Boras,and now I think they are making an attempt to knock them down a peg,and the MLBPA can do nothing about it.

Keep an eye on this years draft,I bet there won't be many,if any,Boras clients taken in the first round.

longshot7
03-12-2003, 08:34 PM

GO TWINS!

why is this guy podting on our board? Go take your glee elsewhere - preferably a twins board. Grrr.....

Lip Man 1
03-12-2003, 08:49 PM
Daver:

With respect I understand your position but are you saying that Reinsdorf's desire to "knock him down a peg," is more important then trying to help a pitching staff that was already short on experience to start with even before Wright had the elbow problems?

If that in fact is the case, then you've got another reason to hate the current owner.

To have less then 2 million bucks perhaps (and notice I said perhaps) be the difference between making the playoffs (and hosting some games which adds revenue) or not is insane, arrogant and incredibly short sighted.

Lip

LuvSox
03-12-2003, 08:50 PM

Seems like a good fit for the Twins. Konerko and Ordonez bat a mighty .200 against him. Lee and Thomas have done well vs. Rogers, but since I'm firmly in the "Frankie-T is past his prime" club, this doesn't bother me much.

So your on the "Frank Thomas Sucks" bandwagon huh? That's original. Take your MAN-KAY-VICH and go home.

WinningUgly!
03-12-2003, 08:52 PM
Couple of fun facts:

At the Metrodome last three years
ERA W L IP H R ER HR BB SO AVG
2.57 2 0 14 11 4 4 0 6 6 .220

These stats are worthless...he'll no longer be facing the Twinkies lineup.

Daver
03-12-2003, 08:59 PM

If that in fact is the case, then you've got another reason to hate the current owner.

Lip

I don't really need another reason to dislike what Jerry Reinsdorf has done with this franchise,but I will also see the overall picture as it affects the game,not just Jerry Reinsdorf,he is not the only one that is limiting his dealings with people like Scott Boras.

The owners have the upper hand here,for the first time in thirty years,you can bet that they are going to use it to beat down those that they feel are the most responsible for the current conditions,and your buddy Boras is on the very top of that list.

Lip Man 1
03-12-2003, 09:16 PM
Daver:

I can't say I disagree with what you're saying, I just think the White Sox and what they are trying to accomplish is more important then what the rest of baseball is doing. after all most of the other teams have had their day in the sun.

Granted I'm biased.

Lip

Lip Man 1
03-12-2003, 09:25 PM
From the AP story on Rogers signing:

"You take every advantage you can when you have a good shot." - Ron Gardenhire

"If you're going to fill a hole," Gardenhire said, "this is a full plug. He's a proven, veteran left-handed starter in this league."

chisoxflafan
03-12-2003, 11:45 PM
Speaking of the Twins, I was given free tickets yesterday and I am seeing the Twins against the Tigers. Yawn. Oh well its baseball.

onetimeposter
03-13-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
woohoo, Twins. I hope the Rangers enjoy their shiny new draft pick.

The Rangers get no draft pick. They did not offer Rogers arbitration.

edit: Rogers had a no-arbitration clause in his contract with the Rangers, which is why they could not and did not offer it to him.

Dadawg_77
03-13-2003, 01:46 PM
Geeze, I think you guys are forgetting who the Twins just got. Kenny Rodgers, and unless he is a country singer, he isn't that good. Give me Danny Wright upside over this guy any day of the week.

czalgosz
03-13-2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by onetimeposter
The Rangers get no draft pick. They did not offer Rogers arbitration.

edit: Rogers had a no-arbitration clause in his contract with the Rangers, which is why they could not and did not offer it to him.

That's my bad. I could have sworn I read that the Rangers had offered him arbitration.

I didn't even know you could refuse arbitration as part of your contract. That seems pretty foolish on Rogers' part - why deny yourself negotiating rights with baseball's most profligate team?

doublem23
03-13-2003, 02:20 PM
From the AP story on Rogers signing:

"You take every advantage you can when you have a good shot." - Ron Gardenhire

"If you're going to fill a hole," Gardenhire said, "this is a full plug. He's a proven, veteran left-handed starter in this league."

Personally, I don't see how signing a 38-year old who's ERA has flucuated between 6.19 and 3.84 is a "proven starter," but whatever make's Ron's boat float....

Lip Man 1
03-13-2003, 10:29 PM
Dadawg says: "Give me Danny Wright upside over this guy any day of the week.

I agree with you, if we are talking about five years from now.

As for the here and now, with Bartolo Colon set to become a free agent, and with Wright's uncertain status at this time, that 38 year old who could win 10-13 games with a good team is looking better and better to me everyday, especially with the Sox "window of opportunity" perhaps open for only this year (re: Colon)

Hopefully the Sox will know more about Danny boy in the next few days, which could still give them some time to attempt to acquire someone if need be.

Lip