PDA

View Full Version : Danny Wright may be hurt.

Dadawg_77
03-12-2003, 01:52 PM
From BP reports today that Danny's elbow has been swollen several days since his last start. This doesn't sound like a good sign, but test still need to be preformed.

Hangar18
03-12-2003, 01:54 PM
my 2nd worst fear just confirmed. Was afraid this was coming..
hes done this year

FanOf14
That sucks. My question now is how did the Sox' doctor say he was okay? If there is that much swelling, most of the tests that would have been done would have been inconclusive...or at least that is what I have heard from doctors about knees. I figured it would apply to elbows as well...maybe not, but if it is swollen how can anything be seen on an X-Ray or MRI?

Juan Pizarro
Dag!

Looks like we'll get Loaiza in the home opener.

baggio202
03-12-2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
my 2nd worst fear just confirmed. Was afraid this was coming..
hes done this year

any official announcement fromt he sox yet???

hold2dibber
03-12-2003, 01:59 PM
This is exactly the type of thing I harped about all off season. Pitchers get hurt and young pitchers have set backs. Thank God KW signed Loaiza. Still, I assume that if Wright is on the shelf for a while, Loaiza and Rauch are both in the opening day rotation. Rauch has not been overly impressive this spring, and I keep hearing suggestions that he is not or will not be the same pitcher that he was before his surgery (notwithstanding his 2 great starts against Minnesota last September). Loaiza has looked good, but he was really bad for the Jays last year. I would sure like to have Kenny Rogers, Chuck Finley or Rick Heiling around now.

joecrede
03-12-2003, 02:02 PM
On yesterday's broadcast it was mentioned that Wright had an MRI and it showed no damage.

ssang
03-12-2003, 02:03 PM
Jesus, talk about pessimism! We have not heard anything about Wright being out for a while. You guys need to relax. He'll be fine.....health wise. Now his actual pitching performance, well, that's a whole other story!

czalgosz
03-12-2003, 02:03 PM
Now is the time for Jon Rauch to really start to perform. If he's not ready to face major league hitting by now, he'll never be. I say give him the 5th starter's job out of Spring training. If he can't handle it, trade him and find someone who can.

jeremyb1
03-12-2003, 02:26 PM
again, no disrespect to will carrol or baseball prospectus, i'm a fan of both, but if actual doctors that specialize in sports medicine have run tests and claim to have determined that wright has no damage i'm going to take their word for it.

SoxxoS
03-12-2003, 02:52 PM
I'm not going to jump to any conclusions, but IF Wright is out this is just a bad day for the Sox.

The Twins get Rogers. He is a mediocre pitcher, but we don't want our division rivals to get him. He gives them more depth, which never hurts. They will put the very, very average Loshe in the pen, and Santana and Rogers in the rotation.

Radke
Rogers
Reed
Mays
Santana

is a TON better than

Radke
Reed
Mays
Santana
Loshe

Then, Wright can possibly be out. If he is out for the year (if he isn't I doubt he will be 100% this year at any time) then Rauch MUST step up. With Wright in the rotation, Rauch was a bonus. Now he is a necessity.

Possibly losing one pitcher and the Twins gaining one isn't the news I wanted to hear today.

czalgosz
03-12-2003, 02:56 PM
First of all, I STILL haven't seen a link to a Twins signing of Rogers story.

Secondly, the Twins are still counting on Reed to stay strong, for Mays to stay healthy, for the "Good" Radke to show up, (which hasn't happened for an entire season yet), and for the "Good" Rogers to show up (which has happened twice in his entire career.

Santana is the real deal, but the Twins staff is a heck of a lot more iffy than the Sox staff.

kermittheefrog
03-12-2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
again, no disrespect to will carrol or baseball prospectus, i'm a fan of both, but if actual doctors that specialize in sports medicine have run tests and claim to have determined that wright has no damage i'm going to take their word for it.

Where have doctors claimed Wright has no damage? I haven't seen an article saying that, did I miss something?

I'd say even if doctors say that it's more important that he has pain. For a while with the Sox Jason Bere said he was injured but doctors couldn't find anything. Then his arm is done. I'm not discreditting doctors here, just saying I believe a pitcher if he says he's hurt and it's the doctors job to find out why he hurts rather than tell him he's ok.

joecrede
03-12-2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Where have doctors claimed Wright has no damage? I haven't seen an article saying that, did I miss something?

Rooney and Farmer mentioned Wright had an MRI and there was no damage on yesterday's broadcast.

Hangar18
03-12-2003, 03:42 PM
Just think, the twins couldve been....

Radke
Prior
Reed
Mays
Santana

thank goodness Selig had his own Agenda, and Prior was A GreedBall....

voodoochile
03-12-2003, 03:45 PM
Just think, the twins couldve been....

Radke
Prior
Reed
Mays
Santana

thank goodness Selig had his own Agenda, and Prior was A GreedBall....

I thought Pohlad was too cheap to let the GM shell out the signing bonus - so the went with the local product instead. Is there a rumor going around that Selig got in the middle of this and forced Pohlad's hand in some payment for the buyout?

TheBigHurt
03-12-2003, 03:45 PM
THIS IS UPSETTING :whiner: :(: :whiner: but we will have to get over it SOX fans AND DONT LOSE YOUR CONFIDENCE OR HOPES

jeremyb1
03-12-2003, 03:46 PM

I'd say even if doctors say that it's more important that he has pain. For a while with the Sox Jason Bere said he was injured but doctors couldn't find anything. Then his arm is done. I'm not discreditting doctors here, just saying I believe a pitcher if he says he's hurt and it's the doctors job to find out why he hurts rather than tell him he's ok.

manuel has also said "There was no damage, just some inflammation," Manuel said. "He should be able to bounce back and at least give us six innings or 75 pitches."

i guess manuel isn't a doctor but i can only assume he didn't come up with that opinion himself. i'm not ruling out the possibility wright could be injured. doctors do make mistakes like in bere's situation and when sirotka passed a physical with the blue jays. i just don't think they make mistakes often. guys do experience tendinitis and soreness in their arms, i don't think its THAT rare.

pearso66
03-12-2003, 03:49 PM
yeah I heard during the game that he had an MRI and he was ok, I dont remember if they said he was gonna have more tests or not.

I hate to bring this up, but remember, they said Sirotka was ok too, and look what happened to him. But of course this is worst case, and I hope it doesnt happen to Wright

kermittheefrog
03-12-2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I thought Pohlad was too cheap to let the GM shell out the signing bonus - so the went with the local product instead. Is there a rumor going around that Selig got in the middle of this and forced Pohlad's hand in some payment for the buyout?

As much as I love bashing Bud Selig he didn't have much, if anything, to do with the Twins not taking Prior. It was simply Carl Pohlad not wanting to give Prior the money he wanted. They also passed on Mark Texeira due to financial reasons. Personally I would have taken Texeira. It would be pretty scary dealing with Texeira, Justin Morneau and Mike Cuddyer in the same lineup.

Hangar18
03-12-2003, 04:43 PM
As much as I love bashing Bud Selig he didn't have much, if anything, to do with the Twins not taking Prior. It was simply Carl Pohlad not wanting to give Prior the money he wanted. They also passed on Mark Texeira due to financial reasons. Personally I would have taken Texeira. It would be pretty scary dealing with Texeira, Justin Morneau and Mike Cuddyer in the same lineup.

Think it was more like Selig Tipped The Twins that they were going to fold them, why throw your $$$ away on some GreedBag draft pick, when your teams going to be folded anyway. Thats what Happened....

doublem23
03-12-2003, 04:44 PM
Think it was more like Selig Tipped The Twins that they were going to fold them, why throw your $$$ away on some GreedBag draft pick, when your teams going to be folded anyway. Thats what Happened....

Pohlad wouldn't have paid for Prior anyways.

MarkEdward
03-12-2003, 04:47 PM

It's not like the Twins took a crappy player with that pick. Joe Mauer is a damn good catching prospect.

kermittheefrog
03-12-2003, 05:29 PM

Pohlad knew he wasn't going to get contracted. If he really thought the team was going to fold why even give Joe Mauer a decent bonus?

kermittheefrog
03-12-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
It's not like the Twins took a crappy player with that pick. Joe Mauer is a damn good catching prospect.

Mauer is a great prospect but Texeira is the best hitter in the minors and Prior could contend for the Cy Young this year. I'd take either of them in a heart beat over Mauer. Tex and Prior are already special talents and Mauer still has to prove he is one.

Lip Man 1
03-12-2003, 08:31 PM
Jeremy says:

Again, no disrespect to will carrol or baseball prospectus, i'm a fan of both, but if actual doctors that specialize in sports medicine have run tests and claim to have determined that Wright has no damage i'm going to take their word for it.

Ummmm... you mean the same White Sox doctors that Kenny Williams had to defend almost daily after all their misdiagnosis two years ago?

Calling Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard...

Lip

Lip Man 1
03-12-2003, 08:53 PM
Also it was mentioned about Manager Gandhi saying the injury was minor and so forth.

I can recall a half dozen times in the past two seasons he's said something like that (particularly in 2001) only to be proven dead wrong as pitcher after pitcher went under the scapel.

Jerry Manuel is not a doctor, doesn't play one on TV and is barely qualified as a field manager. I wish he'd just stop acting like one. It always blows up in his face.

Lip

hose
03-12-2003, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Also it was mentioned about Manager Gandhi saying the injury was minor and so forth.

I can recall a half dozen times in the past two seasons he's said something like that (particularly in 2001) only to be proven dead wrong as pitcher after pitcher went under the scapel.

Jerry Manuel is not a doctor, doesn't play one on TV and is barely qualified as a field manager. I wish he'd just stop acting like one. It always blows up in his face.

Lip

ROFLOL !!! Thats a good one Lip