PDA

View Full Version : This guy is more of an idiot than I gave him credit for...

FanOf14
03-12-2003, 02:20 PM
Pearlman article... (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=royalmistake&prov=cnnsi&type=lgns)

I've read a lot about prospects that are ready to emerge in the upcoming season, but I have not seen much ink given to White Sox third baseman Joe Crede. His numbers (.285, 12 HRs, 35 RBIs) in 53 games following his callup last August were excellent. What kind of season do you see him having and what effect will he and the other young prospects starting for Chicago have on the team's chances for a playoff spot? --Tony, Dover, N.H.

Tony, I'm as surprised as you are that Crede isn't getting more pub. There are 12,471 reporters covering Matsui Fever in Tampa, yet the next great major league third baseman roams in relative obscurity. As you point out, Crede had a dazzling rookie run last season, and he looks like the kind of guy who will produce solid power and a ton of doubles. Equally impressive is Crede's defense. He's not Scott Rolen, but only because of arm strength. Otherwise, there could be a Gold Glove in Crede's near future.

Still, the White Sox are not a great team or, for that matter, an especially good team -- 80 to 83 wins is realistic.

While I agree on the Crede assessment, that's about all I agree upon. Later on in this article he goes on to kiss Cub butt...but I am too nauseated to insert that quote.

soxruleEP
03-12-2003, 02:25 PM
This guy is supposed to be an expert? The Sox are not an "especially good team" and they will be lucky to finish .500? What qualifications do you have to have to get a job like this guy's got?

Sad
03-12-2003, 02:30 PM
it's just an opinion man...
why the raised shields?
:?:

you know what they say about opinions & they're like something else & everyone has one...
let's hope he's way-off and under-estimated the # of SOX wins...

Hangar18
03-12-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Sad
it's just an opinion man...
why the raised shields?

Raised Shields.....Excellent one Sad,,,,,,,you just made me Laugh My A** Off over here hehehehh.

czalgosz
03-12-2003, 02:35 PM
Anyone who confidently predicts that the Cubs will win more games than the White Sox this season obviously doesn't know what they're talking about.

It may happen, but that would involve a lot of changes (serious Sox injury problems, Patterson suddenly becoming a good ballplayer, Alou finally living up to the hype).

Juan Pizarro
03-12-2003, 02:36 PM
Now you see why I'm so anti-Pearlman. He's just a clown, and he's so anti-Sox it makes me wonder if the son of Carlos May gave him wedgies in the locker room as a kid.
Can't wait until he has to eat his words.

hold2dibber
03-12-2003, 02:39 PM
I read that article on my lunch today and fired Pearlman an e-mail detailing why the Sox are likely to surpass last season's win total (i.e., healthy Frank, addition of Colon, Daubach, Gordon and White, likely improvement of Garland, Crede, Wright and Jimenez, possibility of contributions from Borchard, Munoz and Olivo, improved plate discipline by Lee, subtraction of Clayton, etc.) To some extent, it's just quibbling because I personally think the Sox will win about 88 games this year, or only 5 to 8 more than Pearlman. But his dismissal of their chances, without explanation, struck me as "from the hip" and not at all thought through. If he's going to throw that out there, he should at least provide a little explanation.

fhqwhgads
03-12-2003, 02:47 PM
Still, the White Sox are not a great team or, for that matter, an especially good team -- 80 to 83 wins is realistic.

While I think that would be underacheiving for the White Sox this year, I noticed that kevingrt has "Sox Predicted Record in 2003- 89-73 and AL Central Champs! (Subject to Change)" as his signature.

I don't necessarily disagree with the 89-73, and I certainly won't disagree with the "(Subject to Change)" part, but I do think the Sox will need a better record than that to win the division.

That said: Twins Predicted Record in 2003- 95-67 and AL Central Champs! (Subject to Change).

GO TWINS!

Hangar18
03-12-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by fhqwhgads
While I think that would be underacheiving for the White Sox this year, I noticed that kevingrt has "Sox Predicted Record in 2003- 89-73 and AL Central Champs! (Subject to Change)" as his signature.

I don't necessarily disagree with the 89-73, and I certainly won't disagree with the "(Subject to Change)" part, but I do think the Sox will need a better record than that to win the division.

That said: Twins Predicted Record in 2003- 95-67 and AL Central Champs! (Subject to Change).

GO TWINS!

Feiheroibmnmowks brings up a good point. SOX better win 95 again to assure this division.........

hold2dibber
03-12-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Feiheroibmnmowks brings up a good point. SOX better win 95 again to assure this division.........

I don't think so. I think 90 to 92 wins will win the Division. I think the Twins will win 91 or 92 and the Sox will win 88 or 89. I sure hope I'm wrong. It may come down to health.

Sad
03-12-2003, 03:06 PM
whadda ya get when ya cross a
FERROWYHUBGUHWINKS
with a
FUHQUDDAGUPPPSS ?

probably some secret terrorist coded message mmmm-huh

ssang
03-12-2003, 03:14 PM
We keep forgetting that the Sox play the Tigers, Indians, and Royals a whole bunch. That means the Sox should win at least 90 IMO. Possibly even 95 or better. With that said, however, I believe the entire AL West (minus Texa$) and the Yankees and even the BoSox are better than the White Sox this season. Butwe all know that doesn't mean the White Sox will win less games than them. Mu prediction is that we win the AL Central and then fall quickly and quietly (as usual) out of the playoffs in the first round.

fhqwhgads
03-12-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Sad
whadda ya get when ya cross a
FERROWYHUBGUHWINKS
with a
FUHQUDDAGUPPPSS ?

ANSWER: http://formenmedia.ign.com/media/news/image/weird/colonblow.jpg

GO TWINS!

Sad
03-12-2003, 03:17 PM
:cool: <rose colored glasses on>

although I look for Radke to rebound & win, say, 15+ games
they have to face the mighty Pale Hose 19 times my friends...

SOX 16
Twins... tree

:(: <rose colored glasses off>

here's to me not being a math-major :gulp:

czalgosz
03-12-2003, 03:18 PM
If the Twins win 95 games this year, I will be very very surprised, unless it's because they swept the season series against the Tigers and Royals.

The Twins simply aren't that good. They're good, but not run away from the division good. They got lucky last year, is all. I predict the Sox and the Twins will both win 89-91 games, and fans from both teams will be saying it's a disappointment.

Daver
03-12-2003, 06:04 PM
Boy when I saw the title to this thread I was afraid it was going to be about me........

:redneck

RKMeibalane
03-12-2003, 06:25 PM
:hitless

"I thought it was going to be about me."

:hurt

"That's not surprising, Royce. After all, you are an idiot."

Hangar18
03-12-2003, 08:41 PM
Hey friehoihenszsts, I think the Twins will finish 2 games Behind the SOX, and both teams will have win totals in the low 90's. Them getting Rogers is going to psyche that team up. but in the end, we know that Good Guys Wear Black...

Lip Man 1
03-12-2003, 09:05 PM
Did the Twins sign Kenny Rogers?

and injuries will play a big part in who wins. The Twins have already lost Milton...the Sox are crossing their fingers on Wright. If he can't go then Loazia slides into the #4 hole, then the question becoms, who is the 5th starter? (and I don't think it's going to be Jon boy...)

Lip