PDA

View Full Version : The Almighty Righties

GASHWOUND
03-11-2003, 11:34 PM
I know I shouldn't be to concerned and being at the top in baseball in runs scored, but something bugs me with the potential 7 righties in the starting line-up.maybe all of them batting in a row if Jimenez's and Valentin both are at the top.
I'm thinkin maybe that's why we had all those games where we only scored like 1 or 2 runs. We didn't have that good lefty hitter to carry some of the load when there's a tough righty pitching.

That's why I wish Borchard would out right beat out Rowand for the CF spot so we can have that extra lefty in the line-up.
He's had some big games this spring and Rowand has still been recovering from his injury, but unless continues to go 3 for 4 with some homeruns and some doubles the rest of the ST games, I don't think he'll make it.

But if we are gonna have an all mostly right handed line-up, it's good it's Ordonez, Konerko, Thomas, Lee, and Crede.

baggio202
03-12-2003, 01:33 AM
im with you on borchard..we need some lefty pop in the line up...someone on another site told me bringing up borchard now would be like having a fast rob deer...well in his first full season rob deer hit 33- 84 -232...i think if borchard could put those numbers up and play a decent CF the job should be his...

jeremyb1
03-12-2003, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND
I know I shouldn't be to concerned and being at the top in baseball in runs scored, but something bugs me with the potential 7 righties in the starting line-up.maybe all of them batting in a row if Jimenez's and Valentin both are at the top.
I'm thinkin maybe that's why we had all those games where we only scored like 1 or 2 runs. We didn't have that good lefty hitter to carry some of the load when there's a tough righty pitching.

That's why I wish Borchard would out right beat out Rowand for the CF spot so we can have that extra lefty in the line-up.
He's had some big games this spring and Rowand has still been recovering from his injury, but unless continues to go 3 for 4 with some homeruns and some doubles the rest of the ST games, I don't think he'll make it.

But if we are gonna have an all mostly right handed line-up, it's good it's Ordonez, Konerko, Thomas, Lee, and Crede.

it doesn't worry me that much. our four best right handed hitters have pretty decent righty/lefty splits. last season carlos and maggs both hit equally as well against lefties and righties. frank and paully each had an ops about 100 points lower against lefties but that's not huge.

at some point having left handed hitters becomes overrated when your right handers hit lefties better than any possible replacement.

Bmr31
03-12-2003, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
it doesn't worry me that much. our four best right handed hitters have pretty decent righty/lefty splits. last season carlos and maggs both hit equally as well against lefties and righties. frank and paully each had an ops about 100 points lower against lefties but that's not huge.

at some point having left handed hitters becomes overrated when your right handers hit lefties better than any possible replacement.

I think over the course of a long season, having so many righties doesnt matter a whole lot. However, i think in the playoffs, it matters A LOT. You are facing the best of the best right handed starting pitchers. I really wish the sox would address this.

kermittheefrog
03-12-2003, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by Bmr31
I think over the course of a long season, having so many righties doesnt matter a whole lot. However, i think in the playoffs, it matters A LOT. You are facing the best of the best right handed starting pitchers. I really wish the sox would address this.

I have to agree with BMR here. I think the issue isn't a big deal until the playoffs. In fact I'm a little less worried about a great right handed starter as I am worried about a goofy low arm angle right handed reliever like Jeff Nelson or Chad Bradford. While I think Borchard will be starting with the Sox by October we could still use a middle of the order lefty on par with Lee, Ordonez, Thomas or Konerko. Borchard probably won't be that good just yet.

hold2dibber
03-12-2003, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
I have to agree with BMR here. I think the issue isn't a big deal until the playoffs. In fact I'm a little less worried about a great right handed starter as I am worried about a goofy low arm angle right handed reliever like Jeff Nelson or Chad Bradford. While I think Borchard will be starting with the Sox by October we could still use a middle of the order lefty on par with Lee, Ordonez, Thomas or Konerko. Borchard probably won't be that good just yet.

Amen, brother!

At night I lay awake and dream of Brian Giles in the middle of the Sox line-up. Sigh.

maurice
03-12-2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
While I think Borchard will be starting with the Sox by October we could still use a middle of the order lefty on par with Lee, Ordonez, Thomas or Konerko. Borchard probably won't be that good just yet.

[plug for kermit's blog]
That's why you think KW should trade Borchard and Honel for Beltran, right?
[/plug for kermit's blog]

:)

Hangar18
03-12-2003, 11:55 AM
Jose Valentin is a Switch-Hitter, but Mostly Bats Left-Handed (his power is from the Leftside mostly)

czalgosz
03-12-2003, 12:13 PM
The problem isn't so much finding a lefty bat - they have that in Brian Daubach. The problem is, who sits? They could probably have Daubach take away ABs from Lee and Konerko and not lose anything offensively, but that would be EXTREMELY unpopular, on this board and elsewhere.

Trading away the farm for one year of Beltran, as good a player as Beltran is, isn't the answer, either.

As for Borchard, I'd like to see him get some time in AAA - he's still not a polished hitter.

Batting Valentin lower in the order (6th or 7th) would help things quite a bit.

duke of dorwood
03-12-2003, 12:23 PM
I'm not a worried as I once was, with Daubach here and Frank getting his opposite field stroke back. I dont consider Willie harris an asset from the left side.