PDA

View Full Version : Bring Back Ribbie & Rhubarb

Hangar18
03-11-2003, 10:45 PM
Or at least just bring back Roobarb. (wasnt he the fatter one?)
I know, I know...sounds Crazy. But was feeling kind of nostalgic just now and those two remind me of Old Comiskey. Bring Rhubarb Back I say....

kingpin_rcs
03-11-2003, 11:48 PM
Ah, another crazy marketing ploy that stayed around a year or two too long. They had their moments though.

Ribbie was the purple one that twirled his nose around and Rhubarb was the yellow one with the pudgy face.

I think it would be funny if as they introduced the members of the 1983 team on the day they honor them, that those two mascots walked out. How would the crowd react?

Does anybody have pictures?

Stoky44
03-12-2003, 08:44 AM
Those two were great, but what really reminded me of the Old Park was "Andy the Clown". RIP Andy. Anybody remember Andy the Clown and his light up red nose??

FanOf14
03-12-2003, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Stoky44
Those two were great, but what really reminded me of the Old Park was "Andy the Clown". RIP Andy. Anybody remember Andy the Clown and his light up red nose??

I remember how excited my mom was for me to meet him when I was little. I remember getting an autographed card of his or something like that when I met him, I just don't know what happened to it since then.

THE_HOOTER
03-12-2003, 08:57 AM
I hate to burst your bubble, but Andy the Clown was a piece of garbage.

The only reason he was in the park was to take money out of your pocket.

He was no sweet old man.

FanOf14
03-12-2003, 08:59 AM
Strange, never took money from me, my mom or any of my friends that I went to the game with...

THE_HOOTER
03-12-2003, 09:11 AM
If you wanted him to shout and hollar, it cost $$$$$$$$$$

He knew what he was doing--scream with the drunks, and take their dough.

Iwritecode
03-12-2003, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by kingpin_rcs
Ah, another crazy marketing ploy that stayed around a year or two too long. They had their moments though.

Ribbie was the purple one that twirled his nose around and Rhubarb was the yellow one with the pudgy face.

I think it would be funny if as they introduced the members of the 1983 team on the day they honor them, that those two mascots walked out. How would the crowd react?

Does anybody have pictures?

:R&R

you mean us?

:andy

I'm here too!

thecell
03-12-2003, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by THE_HOOTER
I hate to burst your bubble, but Andy the Clown was a piece of garbage.

The only reason he was in the park was to take money out of your pocket.

He was no sweet old man.

Looks like someone had a bad experience with a clown in their youth. Andy the clown was the best!

Juan Pizarro
03-12-2003, 09:37 AM
I went to hundreds of games at the old park, and I never say Andy take cash, although I heard his clarion call at every game.
Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooo, yoooooooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu,
Whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooox!

The furry creatures, on the other hand, were abominations.

THE_HOOTER
03-12-2003, 09:45 AM
If you asked Andy to yell out his call, it cost you 10 bucks.

Remember this was 15 years ago.

Scotty347
03-12-2003, 09:48 AM
What - no cries to bring back DJ Joe Stephen?? The dugout dancer? He was awful.

Hangar18
03-12-2003, 09:51 AM
Andy The Clown was nothing but nice to me as a kid. cant believe reinsdorf asked him to not come over to new comiskey.
he was the nicest guy in the world......

FarmerAndy
03-12-2003, 10:20 AM
I still have a picture that I took with Andy the Clown. He was great.

Hooter, I think you may just be having flashbacks from a bad dream you had when you were a kid. You're the only person who seems to remember Andy taking money from people.

jortafan
03-12-2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy
Hooter, I think you may just be having flashbacks from a bad dream you had when you were a kid. You're the only person who seems to remember Andy taking money from people.

I must agree with you.

I can't remember Andy asking for cash ever. He always seemed eager to show off his scream.

I do remember one time he asked me to buy him a beer. Since he asked politely, I bought it for him. But this was after he spent a full inning sitting by my side, sharing White Sox stories of the games and moments he had seen in the old park. The cost of a beer seemed like a small price to pay.

This happened in the first game I ever attended at New Comiskey, where Andy was allowed into the ballpark but was not allowed to wear the clown get-up. It was the first time I had ever seem him without the makeup, and he was basically a nice old man. May he rest in peace.

And to those people who would criticize him, get a life.

THE_HOOTER
03-12-2003, 10:52 AM
Get a life?

Why-because I remember him telling me He'll do his cheer for 10 bucks?

I am speaking from experience; If many of you had good memories of him great. My experiance was not good, and I am entitled to give my opinion.

czalgosz
03-12-2003, 11:12 AM
I sat next to A the C once for most of a game - he was pretty obviously drunk. That cheer gets really annoying when you're sitting right next to the source.

Of course, he was older then (this was after they made him stop wearing the clown costume), but getting drunk and yelling stuff seems pretty cub fan-esque to me.

As for Ribbie and Roobarb, the less said the better. I suppose it's okay for the little kids.

soxdave
03-12-2003, 01:54 PM
How about Reinsdorf bringing back Superfan at Bulls games?
Remember him? He was the portly white trash fellow with an
s on his dirty t-shirt. As the theme from the Lone Ranger was played he would run around the seating area. I never felt the
Chicago Stadium was the same after they let him go. One of my
boyhood heros.

There used to be so few people at Bulls games, after he ran he would sit on press row, trying to catch his breath while talking to
beer vendors. Now that was a Chicago Treasure sniff sniff..

Of course Reinsdorf only runs class operations, just ask Eddie Einhorn about that one..

Soxdave

Juan Pizarro
03-12-2003, 01:59 PM
You had to bring up that Super Fan joker.

I was at a DePaul-Marquette game in the '70s when DePaul was still lost in the wilderness -- pre-Mark Aguirre -- and Marquette was a powerhouse.

Super Fan stood up right in front of the Marquette student section and did some silly cheer. He sat down, and a single crumpled paper cup plugged him in the back of the head.

Supe jumped up all eyes aflame. A lone voice came down from above: "You come up here, pal, you're only asking for trouble."

He sat back down, tail between his legs.

andytheclown
03-12-2003, 02:12 PM
Andy the Clown was the best!!!

What kind of a person would bash such a nice memory of Old Comiskey?

Hey Hooter, do you run around telling little kids there is no Santa Claus too? :o:

czalgosz
03-12-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by andytheclown
Hey Hooter, do you run around telling little kids there is no Santa Claus too? :o:

Don't get me started on Santa Claus...

If I ever have kids, they're gonna know where their presents come from.

LuvSox
03-12-2003, 05:08 PM
Ribbie & Rhubarb were the worst thing the team could've come up with. If this is nostalgia, I'll take the future anyday.

THE_HOOTER
03-12-2003, 05:21 PM
I would hardly compare Andy The Clown to Santa Claus.

Andy the clown was no different than your Street Wise folks all over the loop.

I liked his character, but I will not forget him requesting 10 bucks to yell Go White Sox.

hose
03-12-2003, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by THE_HOOTER
If you asked Andy to yell out his call, it cost you 10 bucks.

Remember this was 15 years ago.

If you figure in inflation I would estimate a Andy the Clown yell would go for about $25 today. 50 yells a game at $25 a piece for 81 home games not counting the All-Star game, playoffs and World Series comes up to about 2% of Big Hurt's salary using Hangar's calculations.

voodoochile
03-12-2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by hose
If you figure in inflation I would estimate a Andy the Clown yell would go for about $25 today. 50 yells a game at $25 a piece for 81 home games not counting the All-Star game, playoffs and World Series comes up to about 2% of Big Hurt's salary using Hangar's calculations.

Yeah, and it would still be over $100K/year for getting drunk and screaming at a baseball game. Nice work if you can get it, even factoring in the expense of clown makeup...

hose
03-13-2003, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Yeah, and it would still be over $100K/year for getting drunk and screaming at a baseball game. Nice work if you can get it, even factoring in the expense of clown makeup...

I am a drunk and I scream at games, where's my $100,000?
Ok,ok one time I got carried away at a hot tub party with my Cubbie brothers, but come on! let see some money instead of the back page of the Sun-Times.

:woo-woo

soxruleEP
03-17-2003, 09:21 AM
My daughter--a soon-to-graduate college senior--still has her Roobarb stuffed doll we bought for her when she was about two.

BTW--When I was still coaching in high school, Andy the Clown used to come to games as his daughter was the asst coach at one of my league opponents.

He didn't come in his outfit but he did let loose with that cheer--reworded to include his daughter's team.

Procol Harum
03-17-2003, 10:01 AM
I say the Sox should pay whatever it costs to buy the Rally Rabbit's contract from the Brewers. Rally Rabbit is cool.

Hangar18
03-17-2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
I say the Sox should pay whatever it costs to buy the Rally Rabbit's contract from the Brewers. Rally Rabbit is cool.

the brewers have a rally rabbit? they dont deserve it, we should just Take It From them....
Matter of Fact, I might just do that come opening day. Im going to take a Rabbit to the game Apr 4th.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-17-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Procol Harum

Did Bernie the Brewer morph into Rally Rabbit? I hate to think Bernie is another victim of the politically correct crowd's campaign against free speech. :D:

Here's to Bernie, wherever he may be!!!

:gulp:

PaleHoseGeorge
03-17-2003, 12:17 PM
If Sox Fans want to catch up with Ribbie and Roobarb, they need go no further than White Sox Interactive.

Whatever happened to Ribbie & Roobarb? (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/Fun&Games/RibRoob.htm)

Who loves ya, baby?

:)

mike squires
03-17-2003, 12:24 PM
I have the last home game on tape and they interviewed Andy. He was very emotoinal and was near tears. Hell, even if he was asking for money...why not? People do alot worse these days for money.

I agree. I was thining about this a few months ago. Bring back Ribbi and Roobarb.

Procol Harum
03-17-2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Did Bernie the Brewer morph into Rally Rabbit? I hate to think Bernie is another victim of the politically correct crowd's campaign against free speech. :D:

Here's to Bernie, wherever he may be!!!

:gulp:

Rally Rabbit is this other dude in a rabbit suit beating a snare drum who (usually) appears on video to fire up the Brewers' woebegone, abused fans...