PDA

View Full Version : I was just sifting through some posts....


mack10zie
08-15-2001, 04:37 PM
and I was wondering if BMR has ever admitted to being wrong about anything in his entire life, or at least acknowledged the fact that there is a small possibility that one day he will be wrong. I also would like to say how much I enjoy him saying how much he knows about baseball (which is obviously more than anyone else on this board, at least according to him) about every five posts. I'm not trying to start anything, just wondering what sort of twisted reality one of our fellow Sox fans is living in

Two questions:

If Keith Foulke is not a good closer, but is a good pitcher, and when compared to all of the top closers in the league has more than favorable numbers how is he not a good closer? Basically a good closer by definition would be a good pitcher who has the ability to close ball games effectively, and since Foulke has been statistically one of the most effective closers in the league over the past two seasons, and since he's a good pitcher, doesn't that also make him a good closer? I do agree with you that he is probably best suited to be a set-up man, and in a perfect world he would be, but the overwhelming facts seem to indicate that he also is a good closer.

Why can't this team win the division? I agree with you in that I don't THINK they most likely will, but there is a fairly decent chance it can be done. Both the teams ahead of us are struggling, and the Indians have one of the toughest remaining schedules in the entire league. Even if we are an average team, if we get a few lucky wins that we perhaps don't deserve, we are right back into the race. If you asked me if I thought we'd make it, I'd say no, but in no way shape or form does this mean that we won't or can't. I mean damn, we aren't that far back right now, and even though we have been playing some fairly poor baseball we've been gaining ground. If we have almost ANY hot stretch I don't see how we wouldn't be right in the thick of the race.

And as for getting embarrassed in the playoffs. Don't you think that even if we did get embarrassed it would be a good experience for the young guys that we have to play in some post seasons games? I don't see how it could really hurt.

mack10zie
08-15-2001, 04:48 PM
Sorry if you guys have all alreayd been through this discussion, I haven't really been around the board in about a month, so I don't know what's been talked about too much. But for some reason BMR's posts that I was reading just kinda got to me.

Daver
08-15-2001, 06:45 PM
I think BMR hates me too.Imagine that.

Jerry_Manuel
08-15-2001, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by daver
I think BMR hates me too.Imagine that.

:moron
I hate you!

Daver
08-15-2001, 06:50 PM
Jeez I'm all broke up about that,think I'll go have myself a good cry now.


Are you absolutely sure you don't want to go hunting?

Jerry_Manuel
08-15-2001, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by daver
Jeez I'm all broke up about that,think I'll go have myself a good cry now.

Are you absolutely sure you don't want to go hunting?

:moron
Hunting is for wimps, tennis now there is a sport where you need guts.

Bmr31
08-15-2001, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by daver
I think BMR hates me too.Imagine that.

lol daver i dont hate anyone, and i have no reason to dislike you. I may not agree with you on some things but who cares....

Bmr31
08-15-2001, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by mack10zie
and I was wondering if BMR has ever admitted to being wrong about anything in his entire life, or at least acknowledged the fact that there is a small possibility that one day he will be wrong. I also would like to say how much I enjoy him saying how much he knows about baseball (which is obviously more than anyone else on this board, at least according to him) about every five posts. I'm not trying to start anything, just wondering what sort of twisted reality one of our fellow Sox fans is living in

Two questions:

If Keith Foulke is not a good closer, but is a good pitcher, and when compared to all of the top closers in the league has more than favorable numbers how is he not a good closer? Basically a good closer by definition would be a good pitcher who has the ability to close ball games effectively, and since Foulke has been statistically one of the most effective closers in the league over the past two seasons, and since he's a good pitcher, doesn't that also make him a good closer? I do agree with you that he is probably best suited to be a set-up man, and in a perfect world he would be, but the overwhelming facts seem to indicate that he also is a good closer.

Why can't this team win the division? I agree with you in that I don't THINK they most likely will, but there is a fairly decent chance it can be done. Both the teams ahead of us are struggling, and the Indians have one of the toughest remaining schedules in the entire league. Even if we are an average team, if we get a few lucky wins that we perhaps don't deserve, we are right back into the race. If you asked me if I thought we'd make it, I'd say no, but in no way shape or form does this mean that we won't or can't. I mean damn, we aren't that far back right now, and even though we have been playing some fairly poor baseball we've been gaining ground. If we have almost ANY hot stretch I don't see how we wouldn't be right in the thick of the race.

And as for getting embarrassed in the playoffs. Don't you think that even if we did get embarrassed it would be a good experience for the young guys that we have to play in some post seasons games? I don't see how it could really hurt.

Hey what can i say! I know a lot about baseball and i know im great! :) As far as admitting im wrong, i do it when im wrong. Ive done it many time. Fortunately for me, im right way more often than wrong....

mack10zie
08-16-2001, 09:34 AM
Hey what can i say! I know a lot about baseball and i know im great! As far as admitting im wrong, i do it when im wrong. Ive done it many time. Fortunately for me, im right way more often than wrong....

Oh OK, sounds like a good explanation to me....

Bmr31
08-16-2001, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by mack10zie


Oh OK, sounds like a good explanation to me....

thanks :)

Mathew
08-17-2001, 05:56 AM
For some reson I've more often agreed with Bmr than not, but I'll remain neutral on the Keith issue. I think he's a good pitcher and therefore does a good job closing, however I'd be lying if I said I wasn't curious how we'd be too much worse without him closing games. The one thing I know is that I like him on the team, but if it was 8 million bones out of my back pocket (JR) I'd tell him to french kiss my #%&hole.

Bmr31
08-17-2001, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Mathew
For some reson I've more often agreed with Bmr than not, but I'll remain neutral on the Keith issue. I think he's a good pitcher and therefore does a good job closing, however I'd be lying if I said I wasn't curious how we'd be too much worse without him closing games. The one thing I know is that I like him on the team, but if it was 8 million bones out of my back pocket (JR) I'd tell him to french kiss my #%&hole.


keith will succeed no matter what he does. However,in big games, he will fail. Ive given my reasons. IF we want to win some rings, keith foulke cant be our closer.