PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL: Buehrle will start season opener

HawkDJ
03-11-2003, 09:30 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20030311&content_id=217285&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp

Appearantly Colon prefers to be the #2 anyways to face the Indians and to have less pressure on himself.

dllrbll7
03-11-2003, 09:37 PM
Does that mean that Colon will be pitching the home opener?

jeremyb1
03-11-2003, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20030311&content_id=217285&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp

Appearantly Colon prefers to be the #2 anyways to face the Indians and to have less pressure on himself.

who pitches the second game against kc then?

LineShot
03-11-2003, 09:56 PM
Colon will

gogosoxgogo
03-11-2003, 09:59 PM
For some reason, I like Valentin being the interpretor (sp).

TheBigHurt
03-11-2003, 10:25 PM
Its a good move as BUERHLE DESERVES IT

kevingrt
03-11-2003, 10:32 PM
Hell Yah! Buerhle deserves it! I'm proud of the Sox even though not getting a contract done, they still gave Buerhle the repsect he deserves in honoring him with a opening day starter! A W versus the Royals too!

TornLabrum
03-11-2003, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by kevingrt
Hell Yah! Buerhle deserves it! I'm proud of the Sox even though not getting a contract done, they still gave Buerhle the repsect he deserves in honoring him with a opening day starter! A W versus the Royals too!

All of that respect will disappear next off-season when Buehrle goes into arbitration.

guillen4life13
03-11-2003, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
All of that respect will disappear next off-season when Buehrle goes into arbitration.

Damn straight. I think he's a damn good pitcher but he needs to get his ego in check. He thinks he should be making Maddux money three years into his career. That guy needs to see a true third world country... maybe he'll realize how greedy he is (and almost all baseball players today are, for that matter).

jeremyb1
03-11-2003, 11:19 PM
oh. i forgot that the cleveland series will be the second game colon pitches. that makes more sense then.

dllrbll7
03-11-2003, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by kevingrt

Were they honoring Buerhle with the opening day start or honoring Colons wishes to pitch the opener in Cleveland?

kermittheefrog
03-12-2003, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by dllrbll7
Were they honoring Buerhle with the opening day start or honoring Colons wishes to pitch the opener in Cleveland?

Maybe they are making the best of the situation by giving both guys something that makes them happy? Jeez....

fuzzy_patters
03-12-2003, 12:37 AM
Perhaps an ulterior motive is that Buehrle won't be pitching in the first home series while the Cardinals situation is still fresh on the fans' minds. The players don't need that distraction.

Juan Pizarro
03-12-2003, 10:11 AM
No, he IS scheduled to pitch that first home series if he's going on Monday the 31st. That would put MB in line to start the Saturday afternoon game against the Tigers.

lostinlife28
03-12-2003, 10:47 AM
The thing I liked the most about the article is Colon's attitude. He was positive. He also made it sound like he plans on being with the team for a long time. I think his comparisons to Schilling-Johnson are a bit premature, but you have to love the confidence.
This could go down as one of the best trades the Sox have ever made!

hold2dibber
03-12-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
Damn straight. I think he's a damn good pitcher but he needs to get his ego in check. He thinks he should be making Maddux money three years into his career. That guy needs to see a true third world country... maybe he'll realize how greedy he is (and almost all baseball players today are, for that matter).

Why do you think he wants Maddux money? From everything I've heard, he wants money in line with what Hudson, Zito, Sabathia, etc. (i.e., all guys who are at his same level (or in the case of Sabathia, not even at his level)). Do you think all MLB players should just accept whatever the team offers and be happy? I agree that most MLB baseball players are greedy. But so are the owners and suggesting that players should just cave in and take whatever the owners offer is just silly.

doublem23
03-12-2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by dllrbll7
Does that mean that Colon will be pitching the home opener?

If JM goes with the 4-man rotation at the start of the year like he has before, the Opening Day series rotation will be:

Wright (or whoever is #4)
Buehrle
Colon

34 Inch Stick
03-12-2003, 03:28 PM
Which of the three years in the league was Buhrle the A.L. Cy Young winner. He is not in the same category as Zito at this time!