PDA

View Full Version : Sox's spin on negotiations displeases Buehrle camp

Jerry_Manuel
03-11-2003, 05:58 PM
SouthTown (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/112sd3.htm)

One day after the White Sox chose to renew the 23-year-old southpaw's contract at $445,000 for the 2003 season, Buehrle's agent, Jeff Berry, told the Daily Southtown that both he and Buehrle were "disappointed" with the picture that was painted by the organization.

"It's disappointing that the White Sox have chosen to use the media to disparage our negotiation attempts, and to put their spin on why they're renewing one of the best pitchers in baseball for the second year in a row," Berry said. "Despite what the Sox have put out there, we have no preferences on preserving either Mark's arbitration rights or free-agency years. We wanted to sign a multiyear deal."

A major league source said Buehrle and Berry walked away from a five-year deal potentially worth $27 million. The first three years reportedly were guaranteed at $11.5 million. If Buehrle were to have pitched at least 200 innings in 2005, he would have earned $6.5 million for 2006. The final year was a Sox option at $10 million with a $1 million buyout that would have made it a $9 million deal.

However, a further examination of the final deal offered by the Sox shows that nearly 70 percent of the dollar value was not guaranteed. There's also the fact that both Oakland's Barry Zito and Cleveland's C.C. Sabathia, each of whom signed multiyear deals before reaching two full years of service, were given four-year deals with one club option. The Sox's offer to Buehrle had two options, according to Berry.

Both sides agreed on the three years guaranteed at $11.5 million, and Berry said Buehrle would have even signed a four-year guaranteed deal with the one-year option in 2007 Buehrle's free-agent year.

That's why both Berry and Buehrle were upset with what they felt were unfair remarks made in the wake of the renewal. Berry stressed that Buehrle's ability to become a free agent was not the main reason why the deal fell apart.

Hangar18
03-11-2003, 10:23 PM
this has Jack McDowell written all over it. I dont know who to believe in this case...seems the Sox arent treating Buehrle right. Then again, seems MB wants to be a Cardinal....bad.

duke of dorwood
03-11-2003, 10:37 PM
Why does stuff like this keep happening? I still think its time to really concentrate on signing up Colon. Of course, I said that about Buehrle last year.

voodoochile
03-11-2003, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Why does stuff like this keep happening?

:reinsy
"You rang?"

GASHWOUND
03-11-2003, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Why does stuff like this keep happening? I still think its time to really concentrate on signing up Colon. Of course, I said that about Buehrle last year.

I agree we should sign Colon, but I would rather the Sox put there efforts in signing Buehrle first, than Colon. He's given the Sox more than Colon has and they(Buehrle and his agent) might take it the wrong way if we signed Colon to a huge contract before Mark.

I think the Sox could do better with the offer, but his agent should know Buehrle is the one who has "slipped" twice saying he wants to play for the Cardinals and the Sox are the bad guys?
Well, we do have him until 2006, so some of this stuff may be moot.
Lets hope it all works out by next year.

Tragg
03-11-2003, 11:38 PM
I don't understand why they refuse to offer him a market deal. I guess it's the tired old Reinsdorf philosophy of not signing pitchers to long term deals, but then spinning it so it doesn't seem that way. If a choice between MB or BC, I'll take MB in a flash.

GASHWOUND
03-11-2003, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
I don't understand why they refuse to offer him a market deal. I guess it's the tired old Reinsdorf philosophy of not signing pitchers to long term deals, but then spinning it so it doesn't seem that way. If a choice between MB or BC, I'll take MB in a flash.

Just asking your opinion, but what do you think is market value?
And Reinsdorf's philosophy of not signing pitchers to long term deals has been the right philosophy...so far

Well, yeah..Sox fans would nearly always pick Buehrle over Colon cause he's our guy and has been spectacular for us..But Reiny is gonna HAVE to reach into is vault to sign BOTH of them. Buehrle alone aint gonn cut it.

jeremyb1
03-12-2003, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
SouthTown (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/112sd3.htm)

i think the article makes some good points, i never thought the deal we gave buehrle was exceptional but i still think he should've signed it.

buehrle wasn't that interested in signed a deal that kept him past free agency, right? and he thought the value over the next three years was acceptable, correct? so the only issue is that he has to pitch 200 innings in order to make the 6 or 7 or whatever he's due in '06. i don't see that as a huge deal breaker. if the sox refused to make the deal without that clause then they're partially to blame but zito's deal and sabathia's deal both feature similar incentives.

baggio202
03-12-2003, 01:28 AM
if 70% of the contract is not gaurenteed then its a crappy deasl and buehrle shouldnt have signed it...if he stays healthy and outs up a some more 15-20 game seasons he will , in arbitration make more then what the sox offered...the trade off in signing a long term contract is you give up some of those millions for security aginst injury and also you dont have to worry about the business side of baseball...you just go out and do your job...

the sox arnt offering buehrle the security that should come with taking less money...they want him to sign for less money and only gaurentee 30% of it...so where is the benefit for mark???..im sure after watching the thomas fiasco last year mark wants no part of a contract filled with benchmarks and loopholes...who could blame him???