PDA

View Full Version : Official Story on Renovations with Pic

Jerry_Manuel
08-15-2001, 04:07 PM
From WhiteSox.com:

White Sox announce Comiskey Park renovations

White Sox Public Relations

CHICAGO -- The Chicago White Sox have announced four Comiskey Park renovation projects scheduled to be completed in time for the 2002 season. The renovation plans, which include a new, multi-tiered batter's eye in center field, a vertical screen behind home plate, improvements to the main concourse and upgrading of the club level, have been approved by the Illinois Sports Facilities Authority (ISFA).

"We were very pleased by fan reaction to our renovations last offseason," said Howard Pizer, White Sox executive vice president. "And we believe fans will enjoy these additional improvements in 2002 and beyond."

Specifics of the renovations include:

Vertical Screen Behind Home Plate

A vertical screen will be installed in front of the seats behind home plate, replacing the current ball-return screen that runs back to the press box and covers the lower level seats. The new vertical screen will be less of a distraction to fans and will make it easier for fans sitting behind the screen to see the game action.

Center Field Batter's Eye

A new multi-tiered batter's eye in center field. The top section of the batter's eye will be a semi-transparent screen, allowing fans to look out onto the field without affecting the vision of the batter. Plants will be grown on the terraced batter's eye to provide a green hitting background. The new design adds space on the main concourse for additional fan use.

Main Concourse Upgrades

The main concourse upgrades will change the wall, ceiling and lighting treatments by including brick and metal in the design. Fronts of concession stands will be upgraded to stainless steel counters with a new canopy design (between foul lines only). Decorative lights will be added along the concourse in keeping with the overall design theme.

Club Level Concourse Upgrades

The club level concourse will be completely enclosed, with heat and air conditioning throughout. The finishes will be upgraded to match those found in many in the club areas of the newest sports facilities. Restrooms will be renovated.

"The new batter's eye has a very distinctive look and will create more space on the concourse," Pizer said. "The vertical screen behind home plate will be easier to see through and will improve the view of the game for many of our fans behind home plate. The brick will change the look and feel of the main concourse, while the club level will be enclosed and finished with carpeting and amenities similar to what you might find at newer sports venues."

Construction on all four projects will begin this offseason and is expected to be completed in time for Opening Day 2002. The White Sox are continuing to look at additional renovation ideas, but no final decisions beyond 2002 have been made.

http://whitesox.mlb.com/cws/photo/ph_news_comiskeyrendering_2.jpg

voodoochile
08-15-2001, 04:14 PM
That CF screen idea is pretty cool, but why stop there? Why not just fill the area with seats and put a screen in front of them. Comiskey could offer a view that no other ballpark offers... sitting stright in front of home plate... Now that would be a tourist attraction...

Jerry_Manuel
08-15-2001, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
That CF screen idea is pretty cool, but why stop there? Why not just fill the area with seats and put a screen in front of them. Comiskey could offer a view that no other ballpark offers... sitting stright in front of home plate... Now that would be a tourist attraction...

Unless I am reading to much into this it sounds like they are
"The top section of the batter's eye will be a semi-transparent screen, allowing fans to look out onto the field without affecting the vision of the batter.

Randar68
08-15-2001, 04:19 PM
Unless I am reading to much into this it sounds like they are

My interpretation of it is that the batter's eye will be huge and solid, but it will be at the concourse level, extending out and not contain seats, just that people will be able to stand there and see the game, instead of the back of the batter's eye, like now.....

That's where the huge extra concourse space comes from, that's the way I read it, anyways....

Soxboyrob
08-15-2001, 04:22 PM
Is it just me or does the Centerfield area in the picture above look disturbingly like an ivy covered wall?

Randar68
08-15-2001, 04:30 PM
Is it just me or does the Centerfield area in the picture above look disturbingly like an ivy covered wall?

A little, but I highly doubt they would be that blatant....

Besides, I like how it is green, it's paving the way for a total migration to green for 2003.....

mrwag
08-15-2001, 04:34 PM
It doesn't work with the blue seats and billboards. Green, anyone?

cheeses_h_rice
08-15-2001, 04:41 PM
Am I correct in assuming that the entire section of seats in the 300 (club) level are going to be enclosed? There goes the foul-ball-catching ability for those folks, if so -- you can usually count on at least 5 balls making it up to those seats, especially the ones closer to the press box, each game. That seems sort of stupid; the view from those seats is excellent right now.

Jerry_Manuel
08-15-2001, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by HootieMcBoob
I have Club Level Season Tix this Year--
I Don't Understand...The Club Level will be totally enclosed (like have glass around it ?) That might look a little unusual with an enclosed thing of seats jutting out between the lower and upper deck . . .

It will most likely look something like this.

http://www.hksinc.com/portfolio/images/comiskey3.jpg

HootieMcBoob
08-15-2001, 04:44 PM
I have Club Level Season Tix this Year--
I Don't Understand...The Club Level will be totally enclosed (like have glass around it ?) That might look a little unusual with an enclosed thing of seats jutting out between the lower and upper deck . . .

Jerry_Manuel
08-15-2001, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Am I correct in assuming that the entire section of seats in the 300 (club) level are going to be enclosed? There goes the foul-ball-catching ability for those folks, if so -- you can usually count on at least 5 balls making it up to those seats, especially the ones closer to the press box, each game. That seems sort of stupid; the view from those seats is excellent right now.

Cheeses I posted this earlier but I'll post it again it will look something like this.

steff
08-15-2001, 05:01 PM
I don't think the seats are going to be enclosed. From what I understand, they are going to put doors to the entrance from the seats out to the area where bathrooms and concessions are, and carpet it. And probably hang some pretty pictures like that have at the closed club levels at Camden or Miller Park. The seats will still be "outside". It really is bland up there now compared to other parks. As a result, it'll probably be harder to sit there if you don't have a seat for that area. Like the boxes and the Stadium Club.. can't get onto that level unless you have tickets/passes.

HootieMcBoob
08-15-2001, 05:07 PM
Jerry, where'd u get that picture?? got any more?

Jerry_Manuel
08-15-2001, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by HootieMcBoob
Jerry, where'd u get that picture?? got any more?

Click Here then click Comiskey Park (http://www.hksinc.com/portfolio/sports.htm)

The photo's you will see are not "official" in terms of they are endorsed by the Sox. I assume they will be in the future but not at this time.

KVinc
08-15-2001, 05:19 PM
Jerry how can you see the pic i cant see it on the web site

Jerry_Manuel
08-15-2001, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by KVinc
Jerry how can you see the pic i cant see it on the web site

Oh they have it in caps
Here is the url of the photo

KVinc
08-15-2001, 05:29 PM
well i hope the redesign and the new look will shut most of these fans that bitch about the ballpark. the renovations look like comiskey or Yahoo Entertainment Park will be slamming once the year 2003 arives.

EPMD equals= hip-hop history

cheeses_h_rice
08-15-2001, 05:42 PM
:giangreco

You can't shut me up about those blue seats!

MarqSox
08-15-2001, 07:37 PM
From ChicagoSports.com:
The current batterís eye, a black tarp draped over outfield seats , will be replaced by a multi-tiered structure with plants providing the green hitting backdrop and a window on top for fans to look out.

Yeah, that's the first time I've ever seen a steel tarp. Seems odd that they built seats and then just put steel tarp over it, huh?

:knue
Who cares, it's Cominskie Park. It's not like anybody actually read this article to check it.

chisoxfanatic
08-16-2001, 03:22 AM
Does this mean that we are officially saying "good bye" to my beloved LF Shower? If we are, then I am doomed!

Heather the Redbird

ihatethecubs
08-16-2001, 03:30 AM
if they do whats on that hks site that would be sweet as hell

mrwag
08-16-2001, 08:46 AM
My only gripe is the hugh signage they are moving above the new right field upper deck. That looks completely stupid. Can you imagine a good Chicago wind catching that thing and have it come crashing down?? I would also like to see them lower the "home run porch" a little. Bring it down and closer to the field enough so we can actually have a chance for upper deck shots, maybe even roof shots? That's what I really miss from the old park.... Who cares if a dozen lower deck bleacher seats get obstructed views. Maybe in a few years they could duplicate the porch over to left field too. I'd like to see Carlos and Frank hit it every now and then. And besides, who really wants to look out at the projects across the street?

voodoochile
08-16-2001, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by ihatethecubs
if they do whats on that hks site that would be sweet as hell

Looking at the description of the official plan and the HKS design, I don't think they are the same plan. For example the official plan makes no mention of the HR porch that is a major feature of the HKS plan. I like the HKS plan and wish that it were the official one, but any improvement will be for the best...

Jerry_Manuel
08-16-2001, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Looking at the description of the official plan and the HKS design, I don't think they are the same plan. For example the official plan makes no mention of the HR porch that is a major feature of the HKS plan. I like the HKS plan and wish that it were the official one, but any improvement will be for the best...

Well HKS got the green batters eye part correct.
As for the other changes I guess only time will tell.

DC Sox Fan
08-16-2001, 09:43 AM
Those pictures look awesome. I'd love it if they ended up putting the porch in!

MarqSox
08-16-2001, 10:40 AM
It's still possible that by AS 2003, Comiskey will look like the HKS drawings. They're planning a third phase of the renovation for next year. They'll likely round out the missing parts of the HKS plan then.