PDA

View Full Version : Time To Start Proposing Crazy Cardinal Trades

34 Inch Stick
03-11-2003, 01:03 PM
Morris, Pujols and Ankiel for Buhrle, Lee and Wunsch.

OfficerKarkovice
03-11-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Morris, Pujols and Ankiel for Buhrle, Lee and Wunsch.

We were talking about this over on another board. People said that they wouldnt' trade MB and Lee for Morris and Pujols. IMO you would be insane not to. There is no way that St. Louis would do that trade, the Sox would be getting a steal.

34 Inch Stick
03-11-2003, 01:59 PM
Maybe Mark would prefer the next four years on the North side of town. Prior for Buhrle. Enjoy 400 losses (and I'm sure some of them will belong to you).

kermittheefrog
03-11-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice
We were talking about this over on another board. People said that they wouldnt' trade MB and Lee for Morris and Pujols. IMO you would be insane not to. There is no way that St. Louis would do that trade, the Sox would be getting a steal.

We'd be getting the better end of the deal even if it was Maggs and MB for Pujols and Morris.

Rocky Soprano
03-11-2003, 02:16 PM
No way! I would never trade Maggs.

OfficerKarkovice
03-11-2003, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
We'd be getting the better end of the deal even if it was Maggs and MB for Pujols and Morris.

I don't know if I'd be quite as anxious to do that...but at least you get my point. Pujols is a top 5 hitter in the NL...the kid is 23 and putting up insane numbers.

Bobby Thigpen
03-12-2003, 09:53 AM
How about Lee and Buehrle for J.D. Drew, Ankiel, a mid level prospect, and one of their catchers- Marrero, Matheny, or the other one? (can't remember his name) I think Drew would be a quality left handed bat able to put Carlos' numbers, with better fielding. Ankiel seems to be back to his promising career path, and one of their catchers has to be better than either of ours. Especially Alomar.

hold2dibber
03-12-2003, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen
How about Lee and Buehrle for J.D. Drew, Ankiel, a mid level prospect, and one of their catchers- Marrero, Matheny, or the other one? (can't remember his name) I think Drew would be a quality left handed bat able to put Carlos' numbers, with better fielding. Ankiel seems to be back to his promising career path, and one of their catchers has to be better than either of ours. Especially Alomar.

Seriously? Even if you thought Drew for Lee was a wash (as you suggest), that means you'd essentially be trading Buehrle, who is onlyh 23 and already established as one of the best left handed starters in baseball, for a pitcher with a history of mental and physical problems that have left his career in great doubt, a mid-level prospect and a run-of-the-mill catcher? I think not. Buehrle is worth much, much more than that.

Bobby Thigpen
03-12-2003, 01:49 PM
I definitely feel Drew for Lee is a wash. Even if Drew doesn't hit as well as Lee, he certainly would make up for it in defense. Besides, he provides a little speed, which we all know Carlos sorely lacks. On top of that he can play CF and that would leave LF open for Borchard next year.

Ankiel will be fine, just maybe not in STL with LaRussa. I think LaRussa is a moron and that he may have ruined one of the best young pitching prospects to come along in a long time. Ankiel has been exceptional this spring, and STL will probably want to get rid of him since they have Yankees syndrome and have like 9 starters. Besides, I think he's under 23 and a lefty as well.

And you can't tell me that you think Matheny or Marrero would not be a giant upgrade over our current situation. Marrero is a great catcher, it's just that moron LaRussa has a love affair with Matheny and the other guy. Just ask any Cardinal fan.

And lastly-
BUEHRLE IS WORTH NOTHING IF HE WALKS AND THE SOX GET NOTHING IN RETURN.

Juan Pizarro
03-12-2003, 02:00 PM
Well, he can't walk for at least another 3 years.

Ankiel will never amount to anything. Add his physical maladies to his Steve Blass disease, and I wouldn't touch that kid. Can't believe you think he'd be worth Garland or Wright, much less Buerhle.

TheBigHurt
03-12-2003, 02:04 PM
I have to much respect for BUERHLE to trade him............

OfficerKarkovice
03-12-2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by TheBigHurt
I have to much respect for BUERHLE to trade him............

I don't...I would trade him in a heartbeat if the right deal came along.

hold2dibber
03-12-2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen
I definitely feel Drew for Lee is a wash. Even if Drew doesn't hit as well as Lee, he certainly would make up for it in defense. Besides, he provides a little speed, which we all know Carlos sorely lacks. On top of that he can play CF and that would leave LF open for Borchard next year.

Agreed.

Ankiel will be fine, just maybe not in STL with LaRussa. I think LaRussa is a moron and that he may have ruined one of the best young pitching prospects to come along in a long time. Ankiel has been exceptional this spring, and STL will probably want to get rid of him since they have Yankees syndrome and have like 9 starters. Besides, I think he's under 23 and a lefty as well.

You MAY be right, but would you seriously consider dealing Buehrle, who has proven himself already, for a guy who has had serious mental and physical problems that have thrown his entire MLB career into doubt? Especially with the Sox fielding a team this year that is capable of the post season? That's nuts.

And you can't tell me that you think Matheny or Marrero would not be a giant upgrade over our current situation. Marrero is a great catcher, it's just that moron LaRussa has a love affair with Matheny and the other guy. Just ask any Cardinal fan.

I don't disagree, but I think over the next few years Olivo will prove to be every bit as good, and probably better, than those guys.

And lastly-
BUEHRLE IS WORTH NOTHING IF HE WALKS AND THE SOX GET NOTHING IN RETURN.

Well, that's just wrong. He's probably worth about 80 wins in the 4 years between now and when he can walk. You just don't trade a no. 1 starter for a slighly above-average catcher (especially when you have a stud catcher in your own system who is no more than a year away from being a serious contributor) and a deeply flawed prospect (as talented as Ankiel may be) just because that no. 1 starter won't necessarily be on the team 5 years from now. If your goal is to start building the 2007 White Sox, maybe that would make sense. But me, I'd like to see the Sox do some damage in '03, '04, '05 and '06. And Buehrle is a key component for those years.