PDA

View Full Version : What Happened To Tampering Charge?

34 Inch Stick
03-11-2003, 11:47 AM
I thought after the La Russa/Jocketty statements of the last year Kenny was going to file a grievance. I think he needs to file something just to keep the Cardinals honest for the next 4 years.

Hangar18
03-11-2003, 11:51 AM
I remember asking that same thing a while back....Cardinals need to pay for this dearly...

Dadawg_77
03-11-2003, 12:21 PM
They can't do anything until 2006. Mark has to become a FA and Cards need to sign him in order to prove it.

34 Inch Stick
03-11-2003, 12:52 PM
I have a strong suspicion that is not true. You cannot discuss bringing a player who is under contract to another team to your team at any time.

Say a player has a no trade clause but might be willing to move to a team. He is in the final year of the contract. His team is has a deal with the Red Sox and ordinarily would be willing. Now what if the Yankees say, if you nix the trade we will sign you in the off season for 1 million more than we would on the open market if you invoke the no trade.

Under your scenario the tampering doesn't occur until the Yankees actually sign him but the injury occurs much earlier. The league can fine the Yankees, but they cannot cancel the free agent signing and cannot make the team or the Red Sox whole.

This has been long winded but I think tampering occurs at the point of discussion with another team's player under contract.

Lip Man 1
03-11-2003, 06:37 PM
I recall reading in one of the Chicago papers that Williams said he would NOT file charges.

Lip