PDA

View Full Version : Wrigley Field flap...

hsnterprize
03-11-2003, 09:14 AM
Hey Sox fans...

I know this isn't exactly a "popular" subject here in WSI, but I thought I'd bring it up to arounse discussion. This morning, I and other news outlets have been reporting that Bug Selig said in a letter to a Chicago Landmarking Committee that if Wrigley Field is classified a "landmark" in any way, that could lead the way towards ultimately losing Wrigley. I've been following this topic for a while, and it seems strange that the City would want to get involved in "preserving" Wrigley Field...they know a lot of tourism money comes to the city thanks to that place. Personally, it wouldn't bother me if the place went down, but that's another story. Still, with so many people wanting to keep Wrigley Field the way it is right now, it wouldn't surprize me if the Cubs decided to move out of Wrigley.

This is the story straight out of the Sun Times. I know the author, Fran Spielman...she gets a lot of dirt on stuff like this...especially if involves City Hall. (http://www.suntimes.com/output/cubs/cst-spt-wrig11.html)

Like I said...I know there aren't any Wrigley sympathizers here. But, I thought I'd bring this up just to see what you thought about the whole thing. IMHO...if the Cubs can't expand/improve their stadium, then they should leave it. Simple as that.

Hangar18
03-11-2003, 09:20 AM
Ive just about had it with Bud Selig. He needs to mind his own business. Do you see him getting personally involved getting the Twins a new stadium? nope. I think he needs to step down quick.

maurice
03-11-2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by hsnterprize
it wouldn't surprize me if the Cubs decided to move out of Wrigley.

I'd be shocked. I doubt the trib would be dumb enough to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs, but they really should hire Ted Phillips as a consultant right about now. Their approach to the mayor on the stadium issue is reminicent of the Bears.

You don't tell the mayor what you're going to do . . . you ask him . . . nicely. :cool:

Hangar18
03-11-2003, 12:08 PM
I'll only say this once. THE CUBS ARE BLUFFING. THEY WILL NEVER EVER MOVE out of Wrigley. Daley knows that too, thats why hes telling them to JAM IT.

doublem23
03-11-2003, 12:23 PM
I'll probably die before I see the Cubs play anywhere but Wrigley Field (and win a World Series, ironically).

moochpuppy
03-11-2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Ive just about had it with Bud Selig. He needs to mind his own business. Do you see him getting personally involved getting the Twins a new stadium? nope. I think he needs to step down quick.

Actually he has. That was one of the reasons the contraction almost happened.

voodoochile
03-11-2003, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
Actually he has. That was one of the reasons the contraction almost happened.

So now they'll threaten to contract the flubbies? Oh please... pretty please...

Yeah, the flubbies are blowing a lot of smoke. The reasons the city wants to keep them there are the exact same reasons they will never leave. Where are they going to go that has a better neighborhood and can match the benefits of having one of the few true retro parks around?

Maybe if they offer to let one of Daley's boys do the construction and NOT write a big expose piece in the newspaper about it THEN they will get the changes they desire. Of course the Trib might have to put John Kass on a leash also. Don't discount Daley's hate for the Tribune as an element in this equation...

T Dog
03-11-2003, 12:38 PM
Schaumburg has a nice little ballpark.

DrCrawdad
03-11-2003, 02:07 PM
The Tribune Co. should be able to do whatever they want to Wrigley. As long as they don't use public property.

If Wrigley is a landmark, it's because of the views from seats in the park. Wrigley is not anything to brag about when you see it from the street. My wife says it looks like factory from the outside.

- DrCrawdad.