PDA

View Full Version : Todd Hundley on Cub fans...

DrCrawdad
03-11-2003, 07:38 AM
http://espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/4482.jpg

"Everything's fine in Wrigleyville if the Cubs lose and Sammy (Sosa) hits 2 home runs. Everything's copacetic. They sell out every day. As long as they're drunk and happy...'' - Todd Hundley, as quoted in Barry Rozner's column today.

Keep talking like that and people will think you're a Sox fan.

Iguana775
03-11-2003, 08:41 AM
that's some good stuff. lol

LuvSox
03-11-2003, 09:51 AM
Just one more thing that we've been saying all along. Why doesn't the media just listen to us in the first place?

34 Inch Stick
03-11-2003, 10:31 AM
I may buy a ticket to the first Cubs-Dodgers game just to watch his treatment by the fans.

moochpuppy
03-11-2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
I may buy a ticket to the first Cubs-Dodgers game just to watch his treatment by the fans.

I'll bet the farm they bring up HIS drinking problem.

Rocky Soprano
03-11-2003, 11:26 AM
hahahaha, that is some great stuff! :D:

doublem23
03-11-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick

Some idiot will probably try and steal his hat and then say it was Todd's fault for wanting it back.

Vsahajpal
03-11-2003, 01:16 PM
Oh, now Todd's a standup guy? lmao. He'll get precisely what he deserves.

czalgosz
03-11-2003, 01:20 PM
I agree with his sentiment, but Hundley has no room to gripe. He was treated very well on the North Side, considering his level of performance.

LuvSox
03-11-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
Oh, now Todd's a standup guy? lmao. He'll get precisely what he deserves. What has he done wrong? I don't keep up with Cub players.

Vsahajpal
03-11-2003, 01:38 PM
His Blood-Alcohol concentration was higher than his batting average.

He repeatedly flipped off fans during the games.

He was a lousy catcher.

And a lousier hitter.

Sad
03-11-2003, 01:47 PM
I think Todd Hundley is a DINK, an utter disgrace to Major League Baseball & I'm glad he's left the fine city of Chicago...

he's a classic example of the old saying

"There's One In Every Crowd"

<picture the south end of a northbound horse>

that guy ticked me off every time I seen him in a game...

I think 34-Inch had a great idea about the Dodgers visit to the North side... I may have to attend one of those.

Foulke You
03-11-2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Sad
I think Todd Hundley is a DINK, an utter disgrace to Major League Baseball & I'm glad he's left the fine city of Chicago...

he's a classic example of the old saying

"There's One In Every Crowd"

<picture the south end of a northbound horse>

that guy ticked me off every time I seen him in a game...

I think 34-Inch had a great idea about the Dodgers visit to the North side... I may have to attend one of those.

Anyone who ridicules Wrigleyville's atmosphere AND flips off Cub fans is an OK guy in my book. :D:

DrCrawdad
03-11-2003, 01:59 PM
Oh, now Todd's a standup guy? lmao. He'll get precisely what he deserves.

Nowhere did I (or anyone else) intimate that Hundley's a stand-up guy. Hundley's a pud.

There were many, many Cub fans who were Hundley apologists. They said Hundley was a great signing. They defended Todd's poor defense. They defended Todd's lack of offense. They defended the silly things Todd said and did. When Todd's defense couldn't be defended and his bat disappeared they claimed that Hundley "called a great game".

Todd was poor pick-up from day one with a poor attitude to boot.

Oh, now Cub fans aren't standing by their man.

- DrCrawdad.

Bobby Thigpen
03-11-2003, 02:07 PM

I think the real question should be how many of the northside drunks will

1. Know that he isn't with the Cubs anymore.
2. Know that he's with the Dodgers.
3. Know what team the Cubs are playing that day. OR
4. Put down their drinks to actually harass him.

Iguana775
03-11-2003, 02:30 PM
His Blood-Alcohol concentration was higher than his batting average.

He repeatedly flipped off fans during the games.

He was a lousy catcher.

And a lousier hitter.

you ever think the poor envirnment cause him drink and regress in skill?? LOL. :-D

Vsahajpal
03-11-2003, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Nowhere did I (or anyone else) intimate that Hundley's a stand-up guy. Hundley's a pud.

There were many, many Cub fans who were Hundley apologists. They said Hundley was a great signing. They defended Todd's poor defense. They defended Todd's lack of offense. They defended the silly things Todd said and did. When Todd's defense couldn't be defended and his bat disappeared they claimed that Hundley "called a great game".

Todd was poor pick-up from day one with a poor attitude to boot.

Oh, now Cub fans aren't standing by their man.

- DrCrawdad.

Notice I didn't quote you. I was talking about the ever flighty writer at the Daily Herald.

I don't believe many Cub fans ever defended Hundley, he was absolutely hammered during his 2 years in Chicago and rightfully so. He did call a better game than Girardi though. For what it is worth.

He was never "my man," either.

moochpuppy
03-11-2003, 03:25 PM
He did call a better game than Girardi though. For what it is worth.

Don't most, if not all, managers call the games in this day and age in baseball? I constantly see catchers looking over to the dugout between every pitch. Just like football and the quarterback calling his own plays.

DrCrawdad
03-11-2003, 07:05 PM
Notice I didn't quote you. I was talking about the ever flighty writer at the Daily Herald.

Thanks for clearing that up. However, where did Barry Rozner say that Todd is a "stand-up guy" or even intimate that?

I don't believe many Cub fans ever defended Hundley, he was absolutely hammered during his 2 years in Chicago and rightfully so.

Well Hundley certainly was hammered by a loud portion of fans at Wrigley. I listen to Chicago sports radio, esp. over the last few years. Todd had his defenders regularly calling in, not to overlook the people in newsgroups and at Cubs.com who've defended him. On a tangent, there also were plently of Pentland defenders too who've mysteriously disappeared. After the Royals pounded the Cubs today, maybe that's as a result of Pentland...

He did call a better game than Girardi though. For what it is worth.

He was never "my man," either.

IMHO the 'Hundley called a good game' stuff is a bunch of garbage fed to the media by Todd's pals on the team trying to at least find something redeeming in Hundley.

I don't buy the lower ERA when Hundley caught argument either. There are too many variables that go unaddressed.

Todd Hundley was a complete bust. Too bad that even his father got dragged into defending that smokey mash of goo.

- DrCrawdad.

Vsahajpal
03-11-2003, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Thanks for clearing that up. However, where did Barry Rozner say that Todd is a "stand-up guy" or even intimate that?

Well Hundley certainly was hammered by a loud portion of fans at Wrigley. I listen to Chicago sports radio, esp. over the last few years. Todd had his defenders regularly calling in, not to overlook the people in newsgroups and at Cubs.com who've defended him. On a tangent, there also were plently of Pentland defenders too who've mysteriously disappeared. After the Royals pounded the Cubs today, maybe that's as a result of Pentland...

IMHO the 'Hundley called a good game' stuff is a bunch of garbage fed to the media by Todd's pals on the team trying to at least find something redeeming in Hundley.

I don't buy the lower ERA when Hundley caught argument either. There are too many variables that go unaddressed.

Todd Hundley was a complete bust. Too bad that even his father got dragged into defending that smokey mash of goo.

- DrCrawdad.

Rozner derives immense pleasure in berating the Cubs, and for the past few years has taken jabs at Hundley while he was a Cub. Now that he's gone, and makes a statement that Rosner has been parroting for a while...

Cruz and Zambrano pitched noticeably better with Todd behind the plate, instead of Robert Machado and Geritol Joe. I don't think he's a good catcher by any stretch, I'm not even defending him. More a knock on the supposedly wonderful veteran presence of Girardi.

Pentland received support because of two men, Barry Bonds and Sammy Sosa. He's received a lot of the credit for Sammy's transformation. And Bonds credits Pentland for helping him at ASU in the early 80's.

No doubt, Hundley was a huge bust. I love having Damian Miller working with this staff.

DrCrawdad
03-11-2003, 09:21 PM
Rozner derives immense pleasure in berating the Cubs, and for the past few years has taken jabs at Hundley while he was a Cub. Now that he's gone, and makes a statement that Rosner has been parroting for a while...

I am not a regular Rozner reader. So I can't argue with your view that he's taken jabs at the Cubs. Although given the horrendous win-loss record during the McPhail years it seems to me that criticism is certainly understandable & warranted.

If it's correct that Rozner criticizes the Cubs, that's in no way proof of your claim that Rozner presented Hundley as a stand-up guy. At least in this column Hundley's comments are standing on their own. And in my opinion the comments don't reflect well on Hundley. Hundley needs to just shut his trap and try to live up to his enormous salary.

The reason I bothered to read the column is because of the Beuhrle lead.

VIC, it's getting close to baseball in Chicago.

Which we both will enjoy.

- DrCrawdad.

Vsahajpal
03-11-2003, 09:40 PM
I think you all will enjoy it a lot more than I :)

Daver
03-11-2003, 09:42 PM
I think you all will enjoy it a lot more than I :)

Quit pretending Vic,we all know you are really a Sox fan that is unable to admit it.

:redneck

Hangar18
03-11-2003, 11:50 PM
I still Cannot believe Dan Evans agreed to take Hundley in LA. On top of that, hes got McGriff over there too.

jortafan
03-12-2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Anyone who ridicules Wrigleyville's atmosphere AND flips off Cub fans is an OK guy in my book. :D:

Better watch what you say, or else JR may get ideas and make a trade for Hundley. wouldn't want him on the South Side, our catching is uncertain enough.