PDA

View Full Version : 83 Team Honored

Lip Man 1
03-10-2003, 08:21 PM
Folks:

If you are a fan of the 1983 team or remember them, you might want to get yourself tickets to the September 6th afternoon game when the Sox host Cleveland.

I spoke with a former member of that club today. He's going to be the WSI Interview for April.

He told me that he has been invited along with all the other members to a big celebration that the Sox are holding on that day.

He's not sure of the details yet as far as exactly what will be going on but that's the date anyway.

Lip

Daver
03-10-2003, 08:33 PM
Thanx for the info Mark.

HITMEN OF 77
03-10-2003, 08:45 PM
Wonder why they don't combine the '83 and '93 teams for one big celebration? I notice a trend here '83, '93, '03? Hmmm.......

kermittheefrog
03-10-2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by HITMEN OF 77
Wonder why they don't combine the '83 and '93 teams for one big celebration? I notice a trend here '83, '93, '03? Hmmm.......

You implying we might lose in the ALCS this year?

guillen4life13
03-10-2003, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

lol I think he's implying that we're gonna have a kick ass team this year.

MarqSox
03-10-2003, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

Hey, that would mean we'd have won our first playoff series since 1917 ... it's a step.

rmusacch
03-10-2003, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Folks:

If you are a fan of the 1983 team or remember them, you might want to get yourself tickets to the September 6th afternoon game when the Sox host Cleveland.

I spoke with a former member of that club today. He's going to be the WSI Interview for April.

He told me that he has been invited along with all the other members to a big celebration that the Sox are holding on that day.

He's not sure of the details yet as far as exactly what will be going on but that's the date anyway.

Lip

I was 8 years old in 1983. It is the first team I remember. My first baseball heroes were on that team. I love that team. I have heard they are going to wear the 1983 uniforms for a couple games this year. Perhaps they will for this one.

HITMEN OF 77
03-11-2003, 12:51 AM
Indeed we will have a great team this year! WS Champs! As far as the 1983 jerseys go, that will be nice seeing them being worn on the field again. I just hope Puffy Daddy or whatever he goes by now, doesn't show up at the game(s)!

Sad
03-11-2003, 08:05 AM
DOH!

I bought tix for the next day...

stupid brain

hsnterprize
03-11-2003, 08:39 AM
I was 8 years old in 1983. It is the first team I remember. My first baseball heroes were on that team. I love that team. I have heard they are going to wear the 1983 uniforms for a couple games this year. Perhaps they will for this one.

I was 10 when the Sox clinched the AL West Division. I'm still reeling over the baserunning blunders in game 4 of that series. If Vance Law would've scored late into that game, the Sox would've won, and LaMarr Hoyt would've pitched in game 5 of that series. Personally, I think the Sox would've beaten the Phillies in the World Series that year.

Those uniforms are AWESOME!!!!!!!!! I loved those uni's. I was wondering when the Sox would wear them again.

nixsox
03-11-2003, 11:29 AM
Let's hope they have sealed the division up by then like the 83 team. Hopefully at the very least we'll win a home playoff game unlike the the last 3 clinching teams. :)

moochpuppy
03-11-2003, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

ALL the other members? Including Fisk? Obviously LaRussa will not be able to attend.

I would love to see Greg "The Bull" Luzinski make that WIDE turn around third and head for home.

Juan Pizarro
03-11-2003, 02:06 PM
My first and only time in the Sox clubhouse was after that Game 4 loss to the Orioles. As you can imagine, it was pretty quiet in there.
Harold Baines had a visitor in Tony Bernazard, whom the Sox had traded to Seattle for Julio (Here Comes a Runner, I Must Clear Out) Cruz in a midseason kick start. I congratulated Harold on a fabulous year. They were both very nice.
I was supposed to be reporting, but my feelings as a Sox fan got in the way. There was no way I was going to join the throngs having at the Dibber and Vance Law over that baserunning slip. Give it up for the Dibber, though. Jerry answered every question, stood there and took his medicine.
Wimpy was getting over it with a shave, while LaMarr just GLARED out of the barber's chair in the off-limits area. You could tell there was no way Hoyt would have lost Game 5.
I clapped Davey Nelson on the shoulder and said, "Hell of a ride." All he said was, "Yes, it was. Yes.....it.....was!"

Lip Man 1
03-11-2003, 07:35 PM
For those of you who may have missed it, click on the WSI Interviews link on the left side of the main page and look for the Vance Law Interview. He has a very interesting theory as to why Dybzinski did what he did.

By the way, that former 83 player that I spoke with yesterday told me the Dibber is now a religious minister and has basically cut himself off from his days in baseball.

Lip

Brian26
03-12-2003, 08:59 PM
I always wanted the Sox to play Paciorek at third and move Vance Law back to short. This would have kept Greg Walker's bat in the lineup at first and taken the weak-hitting Fletcher/Dybzinski platoon out of the bottom of the order. Paciorek played a little third with Seattle, and his glove was always decent wherever he played.