PDA

View Full Version : Dusty...Dusty...Dusty

Viva Magglio
03-10-2003, 08:31 AM
I wonder how the media would react if it was Jerry Manuel or Frank Thomas who said this instead of Dusty Baker in today's Daily Herald:

"Food and music are basically the most diverse things people do, probably food more than anything. There are people who don't like Mexican people, but they eat tacos. Some people don't like Germans, but they eat knockwurst. A lot of people don't like Jews, but I see a lot of non-Jews in the deli. Everybody eats almost everybody else's food." -- Cubs manager Dusty Baker in today's Daily Herald

On the surface, I really don't think Baker was intentionally putting down anybody. I would not have gone there, but I think Baker was just trying to make a point. But you know there are people sensitive enough who feel Baker's comments would be offensive, and I believe Frank Thomas saying them would provoke a huge firestorm. You can just imagine the next Mariotti column if that were to occur.

FanOf14
03-10-2003, 08:33 AM
If they said that, they'd be burned at the stake.

RKMeibalane
03-10-2003, 09:44 AM
Agreed. This is yet another example of how someone in a Cubs uniform can get away with anything.

jortafan
03-10-2003, 10:34 AM
There's nothing offensive about what Baker said. It's just evidence that he's an airhead, since I get the impression Dusty thinks he's making a significant sociological point, instead of just suffering from diarrhea of the mouth.

Hangar18
03-10-2003, 10:37 AM
Baker said that? well, I can see hes not trying to be mean-spirited or anything. Think he realizes that the Media Loves him, and hangs on his every word. Almost like hes trying to say something outlandish to see if the media will eat-it-up. Hes just full of Quips and Comments. Cub Fluff for Years......
yes, if that was THOMAS.....would be a media FIELD DAY ABUSING HIM.

T Dog
03-10-2003, 10:48 AM
Most tacos don't come close to resembling Mexican food.

SI1020
03-10-2003, 11:15 AM
Didn't Reggie White catch all kinds of hell for making similar comments to the Wisconsin legislature some years back? I don't recall all the details, I think he was trying to be conciliatory but ended up being viewed as boorish and verrry politically incorrect.

moochpuppy
03-10-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by SI1020
Didn't Reggie White catch all kinds of hell for making similar comments to the Wisconsin legislature some years back? I don't recall all the details, I think he was trying to be conciliatory but ended up being viewed as boorish and verrry politically incorrect.

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe Dusty is part of Reggie White's congregation?

Foulke You
03-10-2003, 11:57 AM
I was more upset about Dusty's comments after the White Sox/Cubs game on Saturday. In Cub fan Kiley's article in the Sun-Times, apparently after the game ended, Dusty was glowing about the victory.

Quote from the article:

Dusty Baker is still new to this rivalry but he knows the score "Cubs 1 White Sox 0" said Baker

The article went on to say that Dusty tried to fire his team up before the game saying that this was on WGN and you need to look good for the people back home. He is already backing the Tribune's network. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't ST games for getting work in and taking a look at young players?

I just want to say, congratulations Dusty! I hope you are PROUD of that Cactus League win over a split squad Sox team. You truly are Chicago's champions. :angry:

DrCrawdad
03-10-2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
I was more upset about Dusty's comments after the White Sox/Cubs game on Saturday. In Cub fan Kiley's article in the Sun-Times, apparently after the game ended, Dusty was glowing about the victory.

Quote from the article:

Dusty Baker is still new to this rivalry but he knows the score "Cubs 1 White Sox 0" said Baker

The article went on to say that Dusty tried to fire his team up before the game saying that this was on WGN and you need to look good for the people back home. He is already backing the Tribune's network. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't ST games for getting work in and taking a look at young players?

I just want to say, congratulations Dusty! I hope you are PROUD of that Cactus League win over a split squad Sox team. You truly are Chicago's champions. :angry:

Great point!

Dusty knows many Cub fans already.

Since the game three Cub fan friends couldn't wait to tell me about how the Cubs won. Of course these same Cub fans would have said it was a meaningless game had the Cubs lost. That's exactly how Cub fans handle the Cubs vs. Sox games. When they win, they jump up and down and scream about how great the Cubs are. But then when they lose, Cub fans step back and act as if the games against the Sox don't matter.

I still remember Sammy's response to when the Cubs got swept by the Sox at Wrigley in '99. Sammy followed the Cub fans method of stepping back.

Did you notice that when they won the fan reaction and the players on the field? Had that situation been reversed Cub fans would be complaining all over the media about how the Sox and Sox fans acted as if they won the World Series.

- DrCrawdad.

Hangar18
03-10-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Great point!

Dusty knows many Cub fans already.

Since the game three Cub fan friends couldn't wait to tell me about how the Cubs won. Of course these same Cub fans would have said it was a meaningless game had the Cubs lost. That's exactly how Cub fans handle the Cubs vs. Sox games. When they win, they jump up and down and scream about how great the Cubs are. But then when they lose, Cub fans step back and act as if the games against the Sox don't matter.

I still remember Sammy's response to when the Cubs got swept by the Sox at Wrigley in '99. Sammy followed the Cub fans method of stepping back.

Did you notice that when they won the fan reaction and the players on the field? Had that situation been reversed Cub fans would be complaining all over the media about how the Sox and Sox fans acted as if they won the World Series.

- DrCrawdad.

Reason 19,387 Why I Hate The Cubs/Cub Fans

voodoochile
03-10-2003, 01:24 PM

Quote from the article:

Well this kind of thing works well for new coaches. As an example, I use Jim Tressel at OSU who at his very first news conference mentioned the exact number of days before the Buckeyes played Michigan. That sent the press corp madly scrambling for calenders since the number meant nothing to any of them - though I imagine most of them suspected what he was referring to.

Still, Dusty needs to realize that winning a ST game using his starting lineup while the Sox sat Maggs, Konehead and Frank isn't exactly WS championship material. In addition it speaks volumes for the flubbie history that in Dusty's opinion, the Sox are their #1 rival. I like beating the flubbies, but compared to a win against Minnesota or Cleveland, it pales in comparison and ST wins mean nothing at all. Heck every Sox fan I know stopped worrying about the record in exhibition games once the two teams started playing meaningful games yearly. (Though if you want to go back and look at the record in the crosstown classic, it does NOT favor the flubbies, not even close :D: )

No need to get angry, let Dusty have his little "moment of glory" June is coming and the Sox will be ready to play those games and that time Dusty won't get off so lightly.

Actually, if I was in Dusty's shoes, I might try the same thing. Someone has to teach the flubbies how to win. They have no "championship mentality" and obviously don't know how to get up for big games. Dusty has to build that team's ego from the ground up - the only way to do that is to start early and pound the point home repeatedly until it becomes ingrained. I really hope he fails, of course I admit that I am biased...

:)

hose
03-10-2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
I wonder how the media would react if it was Jerry Manuel or Frank Thomas who said this instead of Dusty Baker in today's Daily Herald:

On the surface, I really don't think Baker was intentionally putting down anybody. I would not have gone there, but I think Baker was just trying to make a point. But you know there are people sensitive enough who feel Baker's comments would be offensive, and I believe Frank Thomas saying them would provoke a huge firestorm. You can just imagine the next Mariotti column if that were to occur.

You don't have to quote Dusty to prove he is dumb, the fact that he took the Cubs job solidified it.

Foulke You
03-10-2003, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Well this kind of thing works well for new coaches. As an example, I use Jim Tressel at OSU who at his very first news conference mentioned the exact number of days before the Buckeyes played Michigan. That sent the press corp madly scrambling for calenders since the number meant nothing to any of them - though I imagine most of them suspected what he was referring to.

Still, Dusty needs to realize that winning a ST game using his starting lineup while the Sox sat Maggs, Konehead and Frank isn't exactly WS championship material. In addition it speaks volumes for the flubbie history that in Dusty's opinion, the Sox are their #1 rival. I like beating the flubbies, but compared to a win against Minnesota or Cleveland, it pales in comparison and ST wins mean nothing at all. Heck every Sox fan I know stopped worrying about the record in exhibition games once the two teams started playing meaningful games yearly. (Though if you want to go back and look at the record in the crosstown classic, it does NOT favor the flubbies, not even close :D: )

No need to get angry, let Dusty have his little "moment of glory" June is coming and the Sox will be ready to play those games and that time Dusty won't get off so lightly.

Actually, if I was in Dusty's shoes, I might try the same thing. Someone has to teach the flubbies how to win. They have no "championship mentality" and obviously don't know how to get up for big games. Dusty has to build that team's ego from the ground up - the only way to do that is to start early and pound the point home repeatedly until it becomes ingrained. I really hope he fails, of course I admit that I am biased...

:)

You make some points however, there is one thing I disagree with Voodoo. As much as I hate the Twinkees, Yankees, etc. There is nothing sweeter or satisfying than a victory over the Cubs in my mind. I think that a lot of Sox fans would agree. Those crosstown games have an electricity in the air like no other game vs any another opponent save a playoff game. I don't know if it has to do with the opposing team's annoying fans right there at the game or the same city civil war, but you will not find Comiskey Park louder than during the crosstown series. From Carlos Lee's Cub beating grand slam in 2001 to Paulie's come from behind heroics last year, the frustration of Sox fans playing second fiddle to the lovable losers always comes out in those games more so than any other in a deafening roar. So when the Sox take the Cubs behind the woodshed and spank them, you'll forgive me for cheering a little louder and enjoying it a little more than I would if we beat Cleveland or Oakland. :D:

voodoochile
03-10-2003, 06:19 PM
You make some points however, there is one thing I disagree with Voodoo. As much as I hate the Twinkees, Yankees, etc. There is nothing sweeter or satisfying than a victory over the Cubs in my mind. I think that a lot of Sox fans would agree. Those crosstown games have an electricity in the air like no other game vs any another opponent save a playoff game. I don't know if it has to do with the opposing team's annoying fans right there at the game or the same city civil war, but you will not find Comiskey Park louder than during the crosstown series. From Carlos Lee's Cub beating grand slam in 2001 to Paulie's come from behind heroics last year, the frustration of Sox fans playing second fiddle to the lovable losers always comes out in those games more so than any other in a deafening roar. So when the Sox take the Cubs behind the woodshed and spank them, you'll forgive me for cheering a little louder and enjoying it a little more than I would if we beat Cleveland or Oakland. :D:

Hey, I agree. Beating the flubbies is very emotionally satisfying, but it doesn't mean as much as games against our true rivals the Twins and Tribe when it comes to level of importance.

The flipside is the flubbies really don't have anyone like that in the NL because they have stunk so badly for so long. Yeah, there is St Louis, but from a team perspective, the Cardinals have owned the flubbies for so long it isn't truly a rivalry anymore. Meanwhile our Sox keep on finishing at or above .500 on a regular basis and smack dab in the middle of the divisional race more often than not (or at least the best of the lesser teams). So our true rivals are in the ALC not the NLC...

DrCrawdad
03-10-2003, 06:53 PM
Seems that Dusty has a little...
http://www.goodbyemag.com/apr/greek.gif
...Jimmy The Greek in him.

gogosoxgogo
03-10-2003, 08:31 PM
This was brought up on afternoon thunder today. Basically Mac and Harry said he was a dumbass and Jurko defended him.

TommyJohn
03-11-2003, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!

:moron

Huh! Huh! Huh! Scum Sox cretin! You do not want to know what
I would say to that useless minimum wage crybaby if he were to
do that! I'd portray him as the worst human being since Hitler,
Stalin, bin Laden and Reinsdorf! The nerve of that guy, complain-
ing about his salary being cut in half! I'd never do that if my sal-
ary were cut in half! He's the DEVIL himself! He needs to get
some perspective in life!

What's that? You say that my Sammy once compared himself to
Jesus Christ and I barely mentioned it? Fools! Sammy IS the most wonderful human being to walk the earth since Jesus Christ!

Now where was I? Oh, yes! The Antichrist Thomas is in dire need
of some perspective!!!!!!!