PDA

View Full Version : Buehrle renewed

StepsInSC
03-09-2003, 10:04 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-whitesox-buehrle&prov=ap&type=lgns

"The Chicago White Sox renewed left-hander Mark Buehrle's contract for this season for $445,000 after being unable to reach a long-term contract"

dllrbll7
03-09-2003, 10:14 PM
Its about time. But the sox should give him what he wants

mac9001
03-09-2003, 10:40 PM
The Sox's did give him what he wanted:

Chicago White Sox lefthander Mark Buehrle reportedly had his contract renewed Sunday after he rejected a five-year deal worth $27 million.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/gen/wire?messageId=10341128

Unregistered
03-09-2003, 10:52 PM
"That's part of the business," Buehrle said. "We both tried, but didn't get it done. They did come up a lot and for a minute I thought we were close. We went back at them and thought we had a reasonable comeback at the market value."

"This represents the highest amount we've ever paid a player in this service class as a member of the Chicago White Sox," assistant general manager Rick Hahn said. Well that's the problem, Rick... you're paying a member of the St. Louis Cardinals.

duke of dorwood
03-09-2003, 10:55 PM
That's a darn good offer-more than I thought they would. Well, he's costing HIMSELF money now-if he gets hurt or becomes ineffective, this will go down as a real bonehead play. We should now channel that $ into offers to Colon.

ScottySoxFan
03-09-2003, 11:11 PM
As long as he remains healthy and has a year like last season, he'll make at least that much through arbitration.

Unregistered
03-09-2003, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by ScottySoxFan
As long as he remains healthy and has a year like last season, he'll make at least that much through arbitration. Those are two things that are a lot easier said than done. Turning down guaranteed money always seems like a mistake to me...

Unregistered
03-09-2003, 11:19 PM
From the Tribune:
According to the White Sox, the final sticking point this year was the option on his free agent year in 2007, as well as several incentive differences.

TimChamp
03-10-2003, 12:30 AM
It really miffs me that Buerhle could reject an offer like this...at first I thought that the Sox were low-balling him and playing the cheap task master...then, when I read about these details, it proves to me that Buerhle's constant point about "not being greedy," "not against signing," "not wanting to go to arbitration," "just trying to get his fair market value," and "not trying to cash in at the bank" is a total lie.

He does NOT want his "fair" market value, he wants more than that (in my opinion, this is a pretty good deal in comparison to Zito (I think or is it Hudson?) and Mulder's deals - and Zito won the Cy Young for crying out loud). Just because we screwed him over last year does not mean that he can try to screw over the White Sox...

I figured he would give the Sox more respect than that, given the fact that they found his sorry butt in junior college and gave him a chance, but no! He figures that if he does do better, then he can get even more money. Therefore, he thought that why settle for less, when I can get more...

I really liked Buerhle before, but now, anytime he talks about his contract, I have no respect for the kid at all...he can go to the Cardinals for all I care, he can rot over there...as long as we get a good deal (in a trade) out of him, I'm happy... :angry:

I think the White Sox should file a grievance to the Comissioner's Office citing tampering by St. Louis Cardinal's manager Tony LaRussa...I know that he's the one who's fed Buerhle with comments like "just hang on longer until 2006, we'll come get you then and give you all the money you want and more!"

Anyway, sorry, I just had to get that off my chest, I was sick and tired of hearing Buerhle make it look like he was the victim when in fact, he is the one trying to victimize the Sox...gimme a break...

Champ out to get some sleep before he decides to write a manifesto about the injustices of love, war, and baseball, but realizes that that would be even a bigger waste of his time...

HITMEN OF 77
03-10-2003, 01:10 AM
LaRussa is still sore about the Sox letting him go I guess. Didn't "The Hawk" fire him back he was the GM of the team? Oh dear.

Hangar18
03-10-2003, 08:26 AM
OK. I Officially have a Problem with Mark Buehrle. that is FAIR money, he wants to break the bank. F' him now. throw that money at Colon, lets get ready to trade his butt to Tampa (that will fix him) no never mind...tampa doesnt have a farm system

Dadawg_77
03-10-2003, 10:00 AM
Hey, if somebody screwed me, I would screw them back if I had the chance. The Sox strategy has always been to low ball people when they are young. Is there no wonder why some of them get upset?

gosox41
03-10-2003, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Unregistered
Those are two things that are a lot easier said than done. Turning down guaranteed money always seems like a mistake to me...

If I were a player I would never turn down money for my first big contract. If I were Buehrle I would have taken the 3 year/$11.5 mill. deal and still been eligible for free agency right on time.

I think the Sox offer was very fair. It was more then CC Sabbitha. And the economics have changed from when CC signed his deal. The reality is the economy sucks worse now then it did last off season and that it's a domino effect leading to teams having less money.

Buehrle is getting greedy. I hope it works for him in that he stays healthy and pitches well. He has no injury problems in his history, but there are numbers that show he can be an injury risk.

I hope not.

Bob

34 Inch Stick
03-10-2003, 10:42 AM
Champ, I'm with you on wondering about that tampering charge. I thought Kenny was going to go ahead and file a grievance. I have heard nothing further about it.

T Dog
03-10-2003, 10:55 AM
Champ, well put. It's like a reflex for Sox fans to blame management, but it has looked to me for a while that it isn't the Sox fault that MB wouldn't sign.

TimChamp
03-10-2003, 11:37 AM
You know, after I thought about it more last night, I might have missed another cause to the problem and that problem could be his agent...but then again, it's not like Buerhle's controlled by his agent, Mark has the final say as to whether he will sign the contract or not, so maybe I didn't miss that point...

Champ out...

TimChamp
03-10-2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Champ, I'm with you on wondering about that tampering charge. I thought Kenny was going to go ahead and file a grievance. I have heard nothing further about it.

So was I, that's why I said that...does anybody know about the "official" baseball rules about tampering and the like...does LaRussa's comments count as tampering or whatever??? :?:

Champ out...

StepsInSC
03-10-2003, 04:09 PM
lets get ready to trade his butt to Tampa

LOL. I don't think I could have the heart to do that if I was in charge of the deal.

TheBigHurt
03-10-2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by dllrbll7
Its about time. But the sox should give him what he wants

yup they better or eventully unforuntaley he will be wearing a cardinals uniform